Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News headlines on the date you were born

• 11-07-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

So did anything special happen on the day you were born??
    Feck all really on my Bday....except for the first oil was pumped into the trans Alaska oil pipeline....Too Good!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Big schnow o' January '82, I'd expect something about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

front page of "the sun " read "the sun of god has risen"

always thought it was a tad over dramatic myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Don't know about front page news but 'How deep is your love' by the Beegees was number one in the US.
    And Mull of Kintyre by Paul Mc Cartney in Ireland.

My God I feel old now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

Abnormally large baby born to Dublin Woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How do you find out? Links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Abnormally large baby born to Dublin Woman
    Complete with beard.

'Nothing happened today! Go about your daily business.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ruu wrote: »
    Nothing on the day I was born, but on my 2nd birthday (18th May 1980) the volcano Mount St Helen's in Washington state erupted; Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division (one of my favourite bands) hanged himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

In a bloodless coup in Pakistan, General Mohammad Zia overthrows the Government of Ali Bhutto -

The Apple II, the world's first "practical" personal computer, goes on sale

Feckin' exiting or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

Rhyme wrote: »
    Complete with beard.

The beard took weeks to grow in actually. The moustache was there from the start though. A confusing few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

i share a birthday with cher and sean from 5ive... dont think too much happened on my actual birthdate tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was born the same day as Lana Parrilla. She loves me, she just doesnt know it yet.

In other news...

The Sex Pistols played in Halmstad the day i was born
    There was no business in the House of Commons the day i was born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

10th October, 1980: Two earthquakes have struck the northern Algerian town of El Asnam. Current Reports estimate up to 20,000 had died and many tens of thousands have been injured or are missing.

10th October, 1980: At the Conservative party conference in Brighton Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher acknowledges the high number of unemployed, but stressed her determination to stick to tough economic policies and told the party faithful " The lady's not for turning " . 1980

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing apparantly, I must have been the news but they did not pick up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mine says hairdresser forced to throw body overboard.

The rest makes no sense
    Spans Wimbledon Opens 100th Play Today Page 9A A Quick Read Cabbage Patch Takes Garbage Pail To Court ATLANTA AP The Cabbage Patch Kids have a date Tuesday with Potty Scotty Itchy Ritchy Fryin Bryan and the trios wretch ed sidekicks the Garbage Pail Kids but its not down at the malt shop Its in federal court Fryin Bryans cheeks are aglow He is strapped into the electric chair and is getting that first big jolt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

flanum wrote: »
    Ch'yeah, americanised is right, they want you to sign up and pay for it.
    **** that ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh class! The Cabbage Patch Kids took the Garbage Pail Kids to court! Now that's news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bah news is all so selective anyway... you can take your pick of cool **** that probably happened that day but went unreported.
    I imagine someone somewhere around the world on my DOB won a large cash prize and got a blowjob from a girl they've been infatuated with for years!
    Never hear that kind of thing on the news :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Apparently some american budget is $1 billion on my date of birth. Also 3 people escape from county jail. And the congress returns to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I was born on the day of the Lockerbie air disaster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

In Britain, the SAS storm the terrorist-occupied Iranian Embassy at Knightsbridge in London. Four gunmen are killed in the attack and all 19 hostages are rescued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

ELTON TAKES DAVID UP THE
    AISLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eh I don't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Ukrainian voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum for independence from the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

US hands over captured Iranian solders.

apparently...!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

America waits on Hijackers.

Not much has changed in 27 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It was probably raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Ahmed Abdallah president of Comores dies.

And eh..Dj Khaled [SIZE=-1]was also born on the same day. Though a few years before. For those of you wondering who he is, he's a "Palestinian-American mixtape DJ" :rolleyes:[/SIZE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Somebody had breakfast.

Raiders of the Lost Ark grossed $1,442,813 making a total of $191,231,287 that weekend. On Golden Pond was the highest grossing film that weekend, never even head of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Ruu wrote: »

I remember the big snow of 81/82. It was incredible. Deffo a strong memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

ABBA won the eurovision song contest with waterloo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Galway won the All Ireland football title for the third time in a row.

A 1,000 years on the same day before I was born some dude called Harold defeated a Viking army at Stamford Bridge. I wonder what happened to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Guilty verdict for the Maguire Seven. Northern Ireland put under direct rule from London as N.I constitutional convention is dissolved.
    March 4 1976
    The rest of you are so young. I remember half the headlines you're quoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sweet feck all. But if I was born the following day, I'd have the same birth date as Rosie from Coronation Street!

Other family members have somewhat more interesting ones:
    My Dad was born on the day that James Dean died and my brother-in-laws father was born on the day that Peral Harbour was bombed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I have a cool one, I was born an hour after the Berlin Wall fell. Of course, the papers that day would have been about something else, and it doesn't seem anything interesting happened the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Former Beatle Lennon, Dies! :(

That was the headline, he actually died the day before I was born. The news probably sent my mother into labour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Google search turned up nothing so im guessing nothing happened! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭woody27

Boomtown rats, i dont like mondays was number 1 the day i was born thats all the news i can find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The day i was born Ronald Reagan became 40th U.S. president and the Iran hostage crisis ended only 22 minutes after that, freeing 52 Americans after 444 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

The Tiananmen Square Massacre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

no major headlines but but David Bowie was top of the charts :eek: gawd i feel auld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Another way to search is with wikipedia, just type the date in the search

Mine: Aeroméxico Flight 498 collides with a Piper PA-28 over Cerritos, California, killing 67 in the air and 15 on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I feel so not special! Absolutly f*ck all happened on my birthday (except perhaps some farmer in the backarse of nowhere breeds an abnormally large chicken)
    And I don't share my birthday with anyone remotly famous either! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

nah nothing happened on mine either must've been a slow year. although i do share a birthday with george clooney, sure thats only lethal.

The Colour Puple opened in cinemas in America which incidently enough was also Steven Spielberg's bithday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

On this day:
    • Galway liberated from Indians.
    • Marathon becomes Snickers.
    • Ice Age ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The-Rigger wrote: »
    On this day:
    • Galway liberated from Indians.
    • Marathon becomes Snickers.
    • Ice Age ends.

Your birthday's next week so! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Happy Birthday me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i did that americanised search...

fear of AIDS hits county jails.

o_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Princess Grace of Monaco died in a car crash on mine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement