Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

download legit copy of xp-pro?

• 12-07-2008 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

okay heres the deal, my XP-PRO disk exploded in the dvd drive a few years back (thank you microsoft), and im really getting sick of having to download pirated ISO's to use with my purchased license.

does anyone know if microsoft offer some sort of download service for the original disks? I dont want to pay another 130-odd euro for a nearly extinct operating system that I already own, when all I want is the disks...

for obvious reasons I dont trust priated downloads, not least because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but also because there could be any number of viruses or whatnot on there.

theres definitely a lesson to backup important disks in there.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think they do but I sure wish they did. Seeing as the thing is useless with out a product key what do they have to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

if its a retail copy they will send you out another disk , if its oem you have to contact the OEM , Dell , hp ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

papu wrote: »
    if its a retail copy they will send you out another disk , if its oem you have to contact the OEM , Dell , hp ect

I did contact Microsoft, they refused to issue another disk, blamed the computer manufacturer; computer manufacturer blamed microsoft, and round and round the circle we go.

it was bought from komplett.ie as an OEM copy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Then Komplett are the ones you should contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Possibly borrow a disk off someone and use your cd-key? Pretty pointless though if you re-install the OS often..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Then Komplett are the ones you should contact.

I think it would be very unlikely at this stage (well over 3yrs now) that komplett would be willing to send me a disk for free - besides which, im sure I would have contacted them at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You should try it at least, I've always found their customer service helpful.

Otherwise check ebay out =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Microsoft told you to go **** yourself, so **** them.

I have an xp pro disc I can post to you if you have the cd key.

Tails142 wrote: »
    You should try it at least, I've always found their customer service helpful.

Otherwise check ebay out =P

haha ebay just for a disk? oh i think we all know how dodgy that would be..

I'll contact komplett on monday, but i dont hold much high hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Download a retail/oem version from rapidshare or bit torrect and use your valid CD key..

You are paying for the CD Key, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

SolarNexus wrote: »
    okay heres the deal, my XP-PRO disk exploded in the dvd drive a few years back (thank you microsoft)

As unusual as it sounds - that happened to me with my XP-HOME disk too. PITA. Thankfully my paranoia had caused me to make a copy of the disk...

D.

Download a retail/oem version from rapidshare or bit torrect and use your valid CD key..

You are paying for the CD Key, right?

Your kind of missing the point, its not a matter of being able to download xp at all, its a matter of downloading a legitimate copy from a source you can trust. I already own a CD Key - infact thats what I've been using uptil now, I've had to download microsoft's key changer application that switches the key registered to your system, its alot of bother when you consider it all stems from a faulty disk.

@dazberry

I can only explain it as perhaps a combination of an unusually high speed cd-drive (made one unmerciful racket at the time) and maybe the hologram disks, which if i recall correctly was a very new thing.

I've taken Sqaull20 up on the offer of an XP-PRO disk (this is why i love the boards), which is extremely generous. Though I still think microsoft should offer a service, since a disk is useless without a key, and perhaps even being able to download newer iso's with all hotfixes/servicepacks included - hell, I'd even pay a small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

+1 on the perils of downloading retail/OEM CDs . There's no way of knowing (well , strictly speaking there is but it would be needles in haystacks , even if you knew what malicious files to look for ) what might have been slipstreamed onto the image you downloaded .

Creating an image of your instal/recovery discs should be one of the first 'things to do' when getting a new OS or PC . Having learnt from past mistakes I now back these images up to 2 separate HDs as well as burning backup CD/DVDs .

I dunno if I'm paranoid or just experienced , tbh ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Some dealers sell OEM copy of the CD/DVD only for ~5€-25€ each but I don't know if they will sell them to an end user directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have about 10/11 CDS all OEM that I might be able to torrent to you.
    The problem with my OEM cds are that they are from Dell, HP etc and the CD-Key is already built in, so my only way is to copy the cd and remove the cd key from the install.inf(May be something else i cant remember) and zip it and then i could torrent it for you.
    Pm me if you want me to do that for ya.

I have about 10/11 CDS all OEM that I might be able to torrent to you.
    The problem with my OEM cds are that they are from Dell, HP etc and the CD-Key is already built in, so my only way is to copy the cd and remove the cd key from the install.inf(May be something else i cant remember) and zip it and then i could torrent it for you.
    Pm me if you want me to do that for ya.

There's algorithm software on your OEM CDs , there's no CD/product key . If the OP or any end user's hardware setup is appropriate to the instal disc then their key will work ok no matter whether they use the CD supplied with their PC or whether it's a CD they found in a skip - e.g. a Dell OEM XP CD will work with a Dell machine that was preinstalled with XP using the product key on the sticker on the PC case . Try using the Dell CD on a HP OEM and you might get lucky but chances are the genuine HP key will be rejected because the algorithm on the instal is not appropriate to the OEM build . Using a HP OEM XP CD , your key would be accepted in this example .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

for the moment the most effective way to get it is via pirate download channels. This would be perfectly fine if you can find one that doesnt come paired with a product key to be honest.

I found a very useful ISO that has all 7 versions of XP (media/pro/home/OEM/Retial/Upgrade) on it but unfortunately I wont link to it because of the paired product keys in it. Sad that. But if you manage to dig it up, its your best bet. For OEM all you need is the sticker on your machine, just use that product key and you should be sorted - did this on a 6 year old HP OEM machine a few weeks ago without too much trouble.

There would only be a paired product key on a modified OS tbh , and I'm choosing my words carefully here . The iso referred to is a tech tool (i thought it was 9-in-1 but could be wrong) but it's beside the point . Pirate at you peril , which I think the OP was concerned about in post #1

indeed, pirate at peril. nobody here is liable when you get sent $100,000 bill for 10 downloaded mp3s (and it has happened). youre right about 9 in 1 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Why don't you talk to the guys on the Komplett forum?

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote: »
    Why don't you talk to the guys on the Komplett forum?

been looking at my old receipts, accounts and whatnot - cant find a single mention of XP-PRO. so either i bought it from the place i got my laptop, dabs, or komplett lost track of it. either way, until i know 100% where i bought it from, theres no point pushing the issue.

As for the key-included copies - thats what I've been doing uptil now, I've been installing those priated copies, but instead of running those cracks that prevent windows activation, i usually let it go right ahead and tell me the copy is pirated, and i download the microsoft keyupdater program (its on microsofts website somewhere) and i use it to change my key to a legitimate copy, also has the nice feature of making sure vital os components arent dodgy, but still... not the ideal way of doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Looks like Komplett are a System Builder so if you purchased from them MS have a replacement program you can order a DVD from, think it's about €26 delivered.

If you go here then look at the system builder section you'll find the link to place the order from Here

How does a CD blow up exactly? Are you Ethan Hunt?

Overheal wrote: »
    How does a CD blow up exactly? Are you Ethan Hunt?

so many posts lately where i could do with my camera...

it spun up in the drive, making an unmerciful noise, then shattered in the drive. I have the disk around somewhere, still semi-intact. same thing happened to a win98 disk once.

this post will self destruct in...3...2...1...

Advertisement