Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm finding this out NOW about the CAO?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

"You might also note that when we
    offer her, in this hypothetical case, her second preference,
    we will never later offer her a lower choice. Her lower
    preferences are automatically wiped out, since we must
    assume she prefers a higher choice to a lower one (order of
    preference again). She cannot come along at that stage and
    ask for a place in a lower preference."

So if you refuse your third offer there's never a chance that you'll get your fourth instead! Blah blah I know what everyone is going to say. You should have read the handbook blah blah but it's only in the last couple of days that I've started wanting my fourth choice instead of third. There's not a chance I'm getting my first or second choices and up until ten minutes ago I thought I'd just refuse the third choice and get the fourth. :eek::eek::eek: ... if I do refuse it though I get nothin!

Do ya's think there'd be any chance at all that I could have it changed at this stage?... maybe if I rang up and threw a big tantrum? :o:o:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

The CAO are really strict when it comes to this stuff and they wont let you change now. The only options i can see is reapply next year or I think If your 3rd and 4th choices are in the same collage you might be able to transfer after the first year although you have to pay the fees yourself , but im not sure on this. Their not great options but I cant see any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Look into PLC courses in something relevant to your desired third level courses now (to have as a plan B) so that you'll have something to do if the worst comes to the worst, then reapply next year.

You can change course internally or even between colleges in the first few weeks of the course (and beyond). Contact the admissions office of the college you want to go to in August/September.

You normally have to have the number of points and there needs to be a place available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Order of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preferenceOrder of preference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

order of preferance doesn't work when you have mixed level courses...I got early acceptance to my fourth choice, which is level 8, this year, which was more a back up then anything, even though I had a level 7 course in higher order...I also logged in too late to accept this course yest so here's hopin for the next three rounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Afaik you get two offers, the highest on your level 8 list and the highest on your level 6/7 list, so yes, you still need to use order of preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's a bit useless though if the points on your lower choices are higher points than the ones you have nearer the top, theres not really much point in putting them down. I kept to order of preference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I wish to God my second choice was my first but i realised too late...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

well I got more than twice the points for the level 7 course I put down and the same for the level 8 I was offered and only got the offer on the level 8 one despite the level 7 one being in higher preference so I don't know at all anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I only realised this lately too :(. So, say i get offered my first choice Business and i refuse it, do i not get offered my second choice Multimedia?(which i now would rather do :mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

That's unlucky but you should have read it. It's a fairly simple system. I can't understand how many people mess it up!

Where did the idea of refusing a course come from? All the courses on that list should be ones you want to do! ... and to quote Mark200 in "order of preference".

You only have a few choices now:

- Work for a year and reapply next year (and make sure ya do it right!).
    - Go to the course you want and try transfer.
    - Do the third choice course.

"only in the last couple of days that I've started wanting my fourth choice instead of third."

What made you change your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Trance

What made you change your mind?

My third choice is physics with medical physics which I've decided wouldn't have enough maths in it for my likin' as from what I gather there's only maths in the first and second years. Fourth choice is pure maths which I think would be a lot better for me and it leads to a better selection of post-grad programmes. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

HELLO132 wrote: »
    I only realised this lately too :(. So, say i get offered my first choice Business and i refuse it, do i not get offered my second choice Multimedia?(which i now would rather do :mad:)

No, you will not be offered your second choice.
    So, you can either hope that everything works out and you get offered number two and can accept that or reapply next year properly.

Although, to be fair, I wouldn't really blame you for this. This mistake seems to happen in every school to a huge numer of people.

Advertisement