Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SIMI 10 Day figures

Options
  • 12-07-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭

Got the registration figures through for the first 10 days of July yesterday. Unfortunatley that means they are on my Work e-mail so I can't post the full figures here.

Toyota still the most popular new car in Ireland with around 1200 registrations in the first 10 days of July.

Second place went to Ford with around 1100 registrations. Toyota stays in first place and Ford second for YTD registrations.

Can anyone guess who 3rd place went to? In the corresponding period last year (first 10 days of July) they registered around 56 vehicles. This year the figure is around 968. Yep - BMW.

VW and Audi were up but I can't for the life of me remember where the figures were roughly. Mercedes was waaaaay down on last year.

Land Rover registered 16 in the corresponding period last year, this year 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Interesting. Is there any way of these figures being broken down into diesel v petrol?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'd also be interested in reg figures for the 10 days pre july. Wonder if a lot of land rovers, subarus etc were regged by dealers before the change as demos, have seen some 'no mileage' demos starting to appear on carzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

copacetic wrote: »
    I'd also be interested in reg figures for the 10 days pre july. Wonder if a lot of land rovers, subarus etc were regged by dealers before the change as demos, have seen some 'no mileage' demos starting to appear on carzone.

The figures for June 07 and 08 are on the same sheet.

I don't think there is a split for Petrol and Diesel, which is a shame.

Forgot to mention earlier that imported cars were only around mid 50's compared to 30 something last year. Thought it would be a lot higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I bet that the diesel's comprise about 75% of BMW sales for July, mainly the 320d and 520d.

The new VRT regime is seeing to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I bet that the diesel's comprise about 75% of BMW sales for July, mainly the 320d and 520d.

The new VRT regime is seeing to that.

I'd say Mini One D, 318D and 520D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This shows why BMW's decision to release prices a whole 3 months before hand and way before everyone else was wise.

As for the 318d, when we collected our 520d last Tuesday the helpful BMW dealer told me that they expect the 318d to only sell slightly better than the 320d.

The 520d is cleaning up for them alright.

I'd love to know the breakdown for diesel vs petrol as well.

I was at a Toyota dealer today and they said it was "diesel all the way". Outside of dealers, I have seen roughly 10 cars registered in July(July regs start around 19,000 here in Cork) and not one car I've seen is petrol. I've actually seen 1 July BMW outside of dealers bar our own one. It was a 520d M Sport. What I've seen is Focus TDCis and a LOT of Audi A4 2.0 TDIs.

Very surprised at Merc, but they did only release July prices 3 weeks ago.

I'd expect Merc to do much better from next year on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any figures for Fiat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MYOB wrote: »
    Any figures for Fiat?

..........1 - 10 JUL 08.|.1 - 10 JUL 07..|.Variation
    ........UNITS....%......|UNITS....%.....|....VAR..|....%
    FIAT.....48....0.55%...|...19....0.43%.|....29....|..152.6%

Information is applicable to passenger vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say Mini One D, 318D and 520D!

FYI - BMW and Mini sales are evaluated separately (for the purpose of SIMI figures) and not as one manufacturer. Just like VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda (and others) are evaluated separately.

FWIW, BMW sales are up almost 879% on the July 10 day figures - Mini are up 473%. I'd imagine diesel is responsible for the vast majority of units shifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Top 10 are

1. Toyota 1096
    2. Ford 1037
    3. BMW 959
    4. VW 904
    5. Peugeot 648
    6. Audi 581
    7. Nissan 507
    8. Skoda 401
    9. Opel 397
    10. Kia 312

M-B - only 86 cars!! :eek:

Total market was 8769 so you can work mkt share out yourselves :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

RedorDead wrote: »
    6. Audi 581

Total market was 8769 so you can work mkt share out yourselves :D

581 Audis since 01/07/08?

Yep, thems what the figures says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

BMWs are common as muck now. Good cars but people buying for prestige are going to be sorely dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

BMWs are common as muck now. Good cars but people buying for prestige are going to be sorely dissapointed.

Depends on which model really.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

junkyard wrote: »
    Depends on which model really.
    I guess what you're intimating is that the 520d is still a classy car, just because it costs more, BMWs are middle of the road cars with an abysmal reliability record...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm amazed Fiat aren't doing well recently. The 500 is a fantastic car and the Bravo is cool, I don't understand why they aren't selling in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Fiat have a bad rep for reliabliity in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

seamy_orr wrote: »
    I guess what you're intimating is that the 520d is still a classy car, just because it costs more, BMWs are middle of the road cars with an abysmal reliability record...

Not in my experience. Most enjoyable car to drive and mine has been in dealers once for a wing mirror motor.

Wish I could say the same for all the VAG cars I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

And not an interesting car in the top ten.

Thanks gormley and co. All these new underpowered diesels chugging out dirty diesel fumes will do wonders for the environment....

Why oh why are irish people so taken by gltizy badges and crap cars....
    Fools and their money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

cancan wrote: »
    And not an interesting car in the top ten.

Thanks gormley and co. All these new underpowered diesels chugging out dirty diesel fumes will do wonders for the environment....

All those BMWs will get from 0-100 in 8 seconds or less so hardly underpowered.

• Advertisement

seamy_orr wrote: »

15 or so BMW's later and I can't say I ever had a problem with any of them and I certainly wouldn't call them middle of the road tbh.

Some people are happy with a mediocre life, house, wife, car etc., etc., some aren't, others just like to see their money sit and accumulate in the bank and some just like to spend it and buy nice things. It's all a matter of choice really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

You're not going to try and make me believe that somehow a poverty spec BMW diesel is the pinnacle of achievement in ones life, or some sort of holy grail of the automotive world now are you?

Like marrying the fattest bird at the bar, cos she has nice shoes and a classy handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You're not going to try and make me believe that somehow a poverty spec BMW diesel is the pinnacle of achievement in ones life, or a some sort of holy grail of the automotive world now are you?

They don't even come with indicators as standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tuxy wrote: »
    Fiat have a bad rep for reliabliity in this country

And for very poor dealerships, which I have to say with one exception, is quite well founded.

And I'm a Fiathead... Reliability for the modern cars is up to if not beyond norms for European-built cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its alright lads, were in a recession:D:D.There shouldnt be so many bmws sold in the future as other manufacturers catch up on CO2 emissions.I will admit though that the 520d iis a fantastic package and i feel i have to say the same about the A6 from a few months time.I believe the 2.0TDI in that car will all be the 170bhp one and that they will be very good for co2 and should beat the bmw price-wise(It is now(140bhp though) to the best of my knowledge).For pure elegance and build quality and materials, i think the audi has the beemer licked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anyone who thinks today's BMWs are poverty spec is living in the past. Compared with a stretched limousine they are very poor with standard equipment I will concede but by any other reasonable measure you could not consider them to be anything close to poverty spec.

The 3 series has alloys, aircon, trip computer, 4X electric windows, 6 airbags, ESP in the speclist. And that's the entry 318i ES.

Similarly the "poverty spec" 5 series comes with automatic wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, parking sensors, climate control and part electric seats as standard, even in the entry level 520d SE.

Similarly Merc and Audi equip their C, E, A4 and A6s with a very comprehensive spec list.

I don't seem to have seen any of these new BMWs(bar our own one and another 520d), what I've seen is a load of B8 A4s. They seem to be everywhere now, all 2.0 TDIs. I've seen a couple of C5s and a few Focus TDCis as well. I've yet to see anything that runs on petrol with a July reg. Btw the tax disc displays the CO2 in g/km where engine size used to be but curiously the tax disc still has "c.c." beside the CO2 value.

FWIW, the market breakdown is as follows:

1: Toyota - 12.5%(down from their usual 14-15%)
    2: Ford - 11.8%(also down slightly but closer to Toyota than ever before)
    3: BMW - 10.9%(indicative of the fact it was fairly common knowledge their prices would be dropping in July)
    4: VW - 10.3%(also down)
    5: Peugeot - 7.4%(up big time, like BMW, though for different reasons)
    6: Audi - 6.6%(big rise there also)
    7: Nissan - 5.8%(how do they manage to sell so many cars:eek:? Then again the Qashqai 1.5 is in 16% VRT, which does make a difference)
    8: Skoda - 4.6%(quite a rise there too - perhaps a sign of the times now that the economy is going downhill?)
    9: Opel - 4.5%(down quite a bit IIRC - can't understand why since they're competitive for CO2, especially the Zafira 1.7 CDTi)
    10: KIA - 3.6%(up a good bit IIRC)

Merc's 86 registrations means they have the grand total of 1% of the market:eek:!

The top 10 have roughly 78% of the new car market btw. That means there are 26 manufacturers(I think) fighting for 22% of the ever shrinking Irish car market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

junkyard wrote: »
    15 or so BMW's later and I can't say I ever had a problem with any of them and I certainly wouldn't call them middle of the road tbh.
    I try to keep to the left side of the middle of the road, in any car I drive, apart from Spain and USA, where I kept the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

All those BMWs will get from 0-100 in 8 seconds or less so hardly underpowered.

Is that all they are good for!!

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »

I don't seem to have seen any of these new BMWs(bar our own one and another 520d), what I've seen is a load of B8 A4s.

All up in Dublin ;)

1008 new cars in cork (11.5%) of the market versus 3245 (37%) in Dublin.

Jan - June cork was on 11.8% and Dublin was on 35.4%.

Interestingly over half of all new Beemers are sold in Dublin (51%)

Advertisement