Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train from Balbriggan

Options
  • 12-07-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I might have to get the train to & from work from now on and just wondering how far it goes?

I have heard off my neighbour that it only goes as far as Connolly station most mornings, is this true?

I presumed it went as far as Tara St or even Pearse St..

Is it possible to get parking at around 8am anywhere also??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Did you bother to check the timetables on www.irishrail.ie? Lots of morning trains go to Bray, none in the early morning terminate at Connolly.

Station car park is full in and around 7am, parking available in Church car park FOC, or pay in town park - 2 euro for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Did you bother to check the timetables on www.irishrail.ie? Lots of morning trains go to Bray, none in the early morning terminate at Connolly.

Station car park is full in and around 7am, parking available in Church car park FOC, or pay in town park - 2 euro for the day.

eh yea I did bother to check out irishrail but you know yourself that you cannot trust the irish transport system.

Thank you for your help bluetonic.

d-redser wrote: »
    eh yea I did bother to check out irishrail but you know yourself that you cannot trust the irish transport system.

Thank you for your help bluetonic.
    Ah go on outta that, the timetables at least work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I will be doing the same commute by train in the next couple of weeks for college..

How much is the fare does anyone here know?

I will be heading for the bottom of Grafton street/Trinity College area so which station would make more sense to get off at? Tara or Pearse?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I will be heading for the bottom of Grafton street/Trinity College area so which station would make more sense to get off at? Tara or Pearse?
    Much of a muchness. Getting to Pearse is a 2-minute longer journey and it takes longer to exit the station as well so getting off at Tara is probably quicker as you can use the rear exit to get to Trinity quicker.

I do find getting off at Pearse a bit more pleasant as you can stroll through Trinity at a more leisurely pace but to get there the quickest, choose Tara.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

An Adult single from Balbriggan to Dublin is €3.90
    An Adult return from Balbriggan to Dublin is €7.30

I think a weekly is around about €27
    Can't remember what a monthly is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Student monthly = €73.50

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Thanks everyone for that.. I had budgeted €25 per week for the train so I'm not too far off it.

What are the trains like at around 8am ish in the morning, standing room only or is it possible to get a seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

What are the trains like at around 8am ish in the morning, standing room only or is it possible to get a seat?

Not great,

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paulie13

I get the 6.45 train and pretty much always get a seat. Getting any later trains and I've found that it's a lot harder to get a seat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You will normally get a seat on the 08:12 from Balbriggan too.
    The 07:56 tends to be more packed.

General rule of thumb for obvious reasons is that if the train originates in Dundalk you won't get a seat in Balbriggan, if it originates in Drogheda you will get a seat in Balbriggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2008/Dublin%20Dundalk%2008.pdf

Print this out and take the above advise and you cant go far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

looks like you will have to pay to park in Balbriggan Train Station soon...

Pay & display set for Dublin rail network

Thursday, 17 July 2008 10:46

CIÉ has confirmed that it plans to introduce pay and display parking at 37 stations on the greater Dublin rail network.
    Commuters will be charged €2 a day or a discounted rate of €8 a week.
    The charges come after CIÉ signed a contract with a private parking control and clamping company. They will net the provider over €3m, a third of which will be paid to CIÉ.
    Advertisement

The contract will come into force from September and plans will be rolled out through the autumn.
    CIÉ says that the revenue it collects from commuters will be reinvested in parking spaces.
    The stations affected are on lines from Athlone and Longford, including the stations on the Portlaoise and Coolmine Arrow routes, the Dundalk line, the DART routes and the Arklow and Gorey lines.
    Around 8,000 parking spaces will be affected.

Story from RTÉ News:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0717/rail.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The only people that get parking are those on the 06:47 train anyway:)

Though if they use the money to fund a better car park and expand it I am all for it.

This is a good thing. I know of a number of people who work local in Balbriggan starting early in the day and park in the train station for the duration of the day.

Taking Balbriggan station in mind there should be no reason why anyone would pay for parking when there is free car park less than 10 minutes (generous) walk away. I'd make an exception and pay for the Irish Rail or the car park down by the prom when the weather is inclement.

That the one at the top of the town?

I forgot to mention there already is a 2euro a day car park near the cinema too but it is always full by about 07:30.

Yeah the church car park is free, FCC own it.

The 2euro car park at the prom/cinema seems to be used without any qualms so presumably the Irish Rail charge will be a non issue.

Anyone here pay for parking in the mornings, if so why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

Yeah I reckon it might be a good thing, sure it'll encourage folks living in the town to walk to the station and leave some spaces for the folks who are further out and don't have that option. With all the new Chippies and Pizzas joints, I think I'll be needin the walk myself :rolleyes:

Advertisement