Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French press froth

• 12-07-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question but hopefully somebody here will know (they usually do :D)

Normally when I use my french press and pour water over the ground beans I get a few bubbles (largish) and very little froth at the top. I just got some new Monsooned malabar and it s dramatically different to any other beans I have used. It froths up loads with lots of tiny / foamy bubbles aything up to 1cm thick at the top! Why is this? Do some coffees just produce more froth / foam like this??

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How fresh are the beans? Recently roasted will have a higher content of
    gases which will mean the CO2 in the beans will cause a bloom when
    brewing. Are the two bean varieties a similar roast?

How hot is the water you're pouring onto ground coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

that might be it - i don't know how long ago they were roasted as they were just from a bewleys dispenser in tesco, probably quite recent I imagine. Mind you the java republic ones I used before that were only 2 weeks old. I wouldn't call it a bloom, more of a very thick foam...

Probably the roast date - thanks Gran H :)

I always let the water cool for 30-45 seconds after boiling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yeah - the technical term is bloom alright - I think the Monsooned Malabar are reknowned for having huge crema producing capabilities. Whatever it is about the bean structure and ability to store up CO2. If I take a roast just out of the roaster and make a filter, the bloom will almost overflow over the top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I love that malabar, I'll be ordering more soon.

As for the bubbles, I notice a lot in the brazillian coffee I'm drinking at the moment, some beans may just produce more than others. The malabar I had wasn't excessive.

Advertisement