Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth it.

• 12-07-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All. :)

I am a part qal Acca (half way) working in a medium size practice in dublin. I have been there nearly 4 months. Previously I worked in industry at least 10 years experience. I got on well in all my previous industry jobs and have glowing written references.

I moved to practice as a trainee to gain a wide range of experience. I am not thriving :( in my current position for lots of reasons including a bad manager (very bad interpersonal skills) lack of direction plus a lack of confidence in myself and my ability to do the job. We had a new person i the department who lasted less than a month so it cant be just me. The days have gotten better since the start but each day is still a struggle.

My question I suppose is whether to stick with it till I get moved to another department which could be as far away as Jan or just give up and go back to industry. My reasons for sticking with it this long is that everyone says to give it six months to settle in, and pure stubborness.

Thanks
    L

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

Give it 6 months, it will look better on your CV to stay that long. Practices are still recuiting so just move after 6 months, you will be more employable with 6 months experience. Concentrate on the exams and make sure you have some progression over the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 74Dub

When you say Mid size firm, do you mean outside Big4 but inside Top10 or Top20 firms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

The mid tier are 5 - 20 in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 74Dub

I find it hard to believe that people would be struggling in a mid size firm with a bad managers... don't believe the glossy grad recruitment brouchure then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lordan

Definately dont believe the glossy stuff. Its all bs to get you in the door.

Am doing much better these days. I have been doing work for the other managers in the department and they are much better, actually training you. The days are going ok and now understand alot more of what i should be doing tho I still struggle on the jobs for the crappy manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 greendevil8

what exactly has made it a struggle for you Lordan? is it just the manager or other factors. Will be starting a trainee role in practice in the coming weeks and would be interested to know what to expect. Is it normal to have just one supervisor/manager to report to or could you be reporting to a few of them, as this is where problems can sometimes fester when trying to please too many bosses at once. I have heard the horror stories about being given out to in front of colleagues etc dont know how true this is, I suspect that most issues evolve around workload. If you have any advice i'd be grateful because as you said the glossy booklets portray a different picture so its so hard to get an honest insight into what conditions are actually like in these practices.

Advertisement