Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll Passes

Options
  • 12-07-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I was considering buying an EazyPass toll card but I've only just found out that there are a couple of other operators, such as eTrip and Direct Route.

I thought EazyPass was the only way of going through tolls without the need for coins and I didn't know that other operators provided the same service.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback on these other operators versus EazyPass. Any you'd recommend or avoid?

I should point out that I'd need a tag for the M50 and M1 as these are the routes I'd be driving the most. But it would be good to have something that works elsewhere. Not sure if one operator is cheaper or more reliable than another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

have a look over on the commuting thread, i had a look through all the operators and eazypass seems to offer the best deal for me, depends on frequency of use, number of tags needed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Interesting. It seems that EazyPass has a standard charge per month, but eTrips can vary depending on which "package" you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Remember, all the tags work on all the toll roads, so you only need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Remember, all the tags work on all the toll roads, so you only need one.

Some work on the M50 only!!

Have a look at parkmagic, I use the parking system and find it very effective.

www.tolltag.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ninty9er wrote: »
    Some work on the M50 only!!

:confused:

Not so. All issued tags in Ireland are eToll compatible and hence work on all participating toll roads - which is all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is it registration plate that works only on the M50 so. Because there's definitely one form of payment that doesn't work on the M1.

Just checked eflow there, apologies. It's plate recognition that is M50 specific.

eFlow registration plate registration - which doesn't exist yet - will only work on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Is there a full list of all these different toll tag companies anywhere? I'd like to find out which is cheapest for very infrequent use (I use toll roads less than once a month and the thought of using the M50's pay-by-8pm-the-following-day thing really boils my piss, considering a lot of infrequent M50 users will be travelling to the airport and thus out of the ****ing country by 8pm the following day :mad:).

The ones I know of are

www.eazypass.ie - Seems to be the most straight forward when it comes to prices etc. You pay a total of 1.21 euro per month for an admin charge and then whatever you use up in toll charges comes out of your credit. No signup fee.

www.etrip.ie For some reason they seem to charge a one off fee of 30 euro to buy your pass. Although I think you can rent it and avoid that 30 fee.

www.directroute.ie. This one seems to be aimed at some M8 Fermoy bypass,
    but I think the pass works country-wide.

www.tolltag.ie Looks like you can only pre-book this and it seems to only work on the M50.

Tolltag.ie's tags work everywhere too. Notice the NRA eToll logo on their site.

• Advertisement

MYOB I think you said you have an eTrip pass on another thread. Just wondering what you think of it and whether its better or worse than EazyPass?

It works, and I don't need to wave it out the window like people in work who have (older, generally) eazypasses. Admin fee is lower but theres a higher initial cost... and no block discounts for the M4 (which I rarely use) or M8 (which I've used once!) like their own tags offer.

Thats interesting. As far as I can see though, the admin charge is the same? 1 euro plus VAT which is 1.21 per month. Or maybe I've missed something.

50c + VAT. Its 1.00 + VAT if you take the option of allowing it to be used for QPark car park charges too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

theres actually 8 companys offering the service http://irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0709/1215380443695.html this is from last wednesday the 9th and was better in print as they had a grid-table type thing comparing the different tags

Useful article, unfortunately the site he mentioned that is supposed to be working from this week -comparetag.ie, doesn't seem to exist... yet.

I think the article also says that eFlow tags are the cheapest but it seems that they are not yet available. Seems that you can pre-order them and will get them next month or something, but I guess if you want something now, you have to go with another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Useful article, unfortunately the site he mentioned that is supposed to be working from this week -comparetag.ie, doesn't seem to exist... yet.
    - just checked and the website still doesn't exist!

The whole system is a joke. I can't believe we have to pay more when they are going to save loads by cutting personnell costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Caryatnid wrote: »
    The whole system is a joke. I can't believe we have to pay more when they are going to save loads by cutting personnell costs.

Agree 100% - its a complete money making racket. Whats needed is a number plate flipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eTrip is 20% cheaper if you get it through the AA.

Wish I had known about the 20% off before ordering my eTrip pass. Ive been thinking of getting AA cover also. Ah well, too late now I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

voxpop wrote: »
    Agree 100% - its a complete money making racket. Whats needed is a number plate flipper.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Seriously, someone could make a fortune making and fitting these things...sorry officer? what's that attached to my rear bumper? Why it's an automatic mudguard...wouldn't want my license plate getting all dirty now would I?
    We can only dream...

Would absolutely 100% be classed as obstructing a Garda in the course of their duties (due to GATSO vans, etc operated by them) and hence be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

MYOB wrote: »
    Would absolutely 100% be classed as obstructing a Garda in the course of their duties (due to GATSO vans, etc operated by them) and hence be illegal.

Ah I know yeah, hence the "dream" bit. It's already considered illegal (as is the dirty numberplate that my "mudguard" was going to prevent :D ) due to recently inacted legislation prior to this tolling system being hurriedly introduced, before you bring any obstruction charge into it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

eFlow registration plate registration - which doesn't exist yet - will only work on the M50.

According to the eflow website, the tag will work on all tolls in Ireland!
    However, if you opt for the Registration Plate option, it's M50 only.

According to the eflow website, the tag will work on all tolls in Ireland!
    However, if you opt for the Registration Plate option, it's M50 only.

Thats precisely what I said... :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Thats precisely what I said... :confused::confused:

I'm confused too. :confused:

I misread your comment, and made a balls of my reply. I had to edit after to ammend my mistake.

Of course you were right in the 1st instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Just wondering,

what happens if I drive trough M50 without any passes? Do I get a bill later on in mail?

What if the car used has non-irish plates?

itarumaa wrote: »
    Just wondering,

what happens if I drive trough M50 without any passes? Do I get a bill later on in mail?

What if the car used has non-irish plates?

You'll get a bill for €40 in the post.

For non-Irish plates they 'sell' the debt to a debt collection agency who hunts you down...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

The tag comparison site's up... with a different name to that advertised...

http://www.tagcompare.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You'll get a bill for €40 in the post.

For non-Irish plates they 'sell' the debt to a debt collection agency who hunts you down...

The first bill (if you don't pay by 8pm the next day) will be for €6. The €40 charge is put on if you don't pay within 14 days. There is a further 100 euro penalty if you stll haven't paid 56 days after that. Total bill for one trip could end up being 146 euro after just 10 weeks.

see www.moneyguideireland.com for more details

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement