Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to fit a Toll Pass

Options
  • 12-07-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to open this thread as I've a query about how to fit a toll pass. I've been looking at the instructions and it seems very easy and straight forward.

The only thing I am not sure about is the moisture sensor part of the windscreen, the area with the black dots. My car does seem to have one of these and sure enough it's located behind the rear view mirror. However it is quite small and the rear view mirror itself is stuck onto it.

According to the instructions the toll tag has to be stuck onto this black dotted section if one exists. The thing is black dotted section does not go down far enough to fit the whole tag onto it. It goes about a inch further down from where the rear view mirror is. The only way I could fit it onto the black dots completely would be to put it to the left or the right of the rear view mirror.

So I'm just wondering do I stick it on behind the rearview mirror even though only a tiny part of it will be on the black dots? Or a bit further down where it's just on the glass only or something else?

Sorry I know this might seem like a stupid question, but I just would hate to end up driving up the EazyPass lane and it not reading because of this.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I just wanted to open this thread as I've a query about how to fit a toll pass. I've been looking at the instructions and it seems very easy and straight forward.

The only thing I am not sure about is the moisture sensor part of the windscreen, the area with the black dots. My car does seem to have one of these and sure enough it's located behind the rear view mirror. However it is quite small and the rear view mirror itself is stuck onto it.

According to the instructions the toll tag has to be stuck onto this black dotted section if one exists. The thing is black dotted section does not go down far enough to fit the whole tag onto it. It goes about a inch further down from where the rear view mirror is. The only way I could fit it onto the black dots completely would be to put it to the left or the right of the rear view mirror.

So I'm just wondering do I stick it on behind the rearview mirror even though only a tiny part of it will be on the black dots? Or a bit further down where it's just on the glass only or something else?

Sorry I know this might seem like a stupid question, but I just would hate to end up driving up the EazyPass lane and it not reading because of this.

Thanks
    Stick it where you want... sure what about the people who hold the easypass out the window when at the barrier? It'll work anywhere on the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've never actually seen people wave it out through the window :)

I was checking the eTrip site and they also say it has to be on the black dotted area as apparently most windscreens now have some sort of metal deposits in them (maybe they always have?) and the only area that doesn't is the black dotted section.

That's news to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

What car is it. I know the RFID cant travel through foil. Heated windscreens like those in the Mondeo & Focus don't like the RFID. The black dots are for this purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Always see it... some people don't want to stick them up on the windscreen so they hold them up and even stick them out the window. I'd say one in ten or twenty cars do this in easypass lane.

You don't need line of site in alot of cars

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hiding-Your-FasTrak%2c-EZ-Pass%2c-or-Other-Toll-Tag-in/

This guy installed it in his dash

FRDQC4EF35J1K8H.MEDIUM.jpg

• Advertisement

Its a 01 Almera, one of the newer models.

leave it sitting on the dash (not stuck) and if it works through the windscreen then you can stick it under the mirror. If it doesn't sure pull it off the dash and stick it out the window

Should be fine on a 01 almera

Good idea cheers. Now all I have to do is decide whether to go for EazyPass or eTrip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

eTrip's aren't the most sensitive, mine was stuck to the back of the rearview (so it was 'backwards' basically) and wouldn't always blip on the M50 / never blip on the M4. So its now stuck to the window behind the rearview and works 100%.

I contacted eTrip to find out what the story is about fitting the tag to the windscreen if the black dotted area does not stretch down far enough to fit the whole tag onto. This is what they said

"You can fit it to the nearest to the left hand side on your windscreen"

As a reminder, my situation is that I have one of those black dotted areas on my windscreen but the rear view mirror is stuck onto it so there's only enough room to the left or the right of the mirror for the tag to be fitted and be completely on the dotted area.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've got an eazypass tag and found the same problem when I went to put it on my car, there was only a tiny bit of black outside where the mirror was. I just got as much of it on the black bit as I could and it's worked fine for me. I've used it on the M50, eastlink, port tunnell and M4 without any problems.

Advertisement