Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surger prrotector for broadband

Options
  • 12-07-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

My entire computer setup is plugged into a surge protector, but it occurs to me that a lightning strike thru my broadband box could still fry everything.

I've seen surge protectors for phone lines, but not really for broadband lines. I guess I could get a couple of rj45<->phone connectors and adapt a phone surge protector, but would rather a neater solution. I'm not seeing much on ebay/komplett - are broadband surge protectors available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

broadband lines?

Assuming your talking about DSL the data runs through the phone line.. There is no "Broadband" line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Oh yeah - the wall connection's a phone connector not an rj45 - D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And yes a strike within 100m of the line ANYWHERE between you and exchange will likely fry the DSL modem.

Which is why on Dialup I NEVER used an internal modem, always external, though once I lost the serial port as well as Modem. (equivalent would be ethernet via a DSL router).

Nothing can be done.

Your surge protector won't help on a direct strike on power line near your house.

The only reliable solution as people living in Kenya or Panama will tell you is disconnect / unplug everything when there is a nearby storm.

Advertisement