Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RE: VAT on New UK car

Options
  • 12-07-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

My brother bought a new car from the uk. He paid over the VRT and is paying Irish VAT as required on new cars.

He shouldnt have paid UK VAT as he should have processed Form 411 from the supplier in order to have the purchase zero rated.

My question is does he have any recourse with the Revenue in the UK or the supplier to claim back the UK VAT that he paid? (he is not VAT registered)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ring the DVLA, but dont think so. Its the responsibility of the dealer to deduct the VAT. Its up to the customer to notifiy them that the car is being exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Not trying to be unhelpful, but how can someone spend (and potentially loose) that kind that kind of wedge without doing basic research like that first..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

Agreed I know it was a big Fu*k up but just looking to see if there is any recourse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Paddy - he should be able to get a refund for the VAT through the dealer he bought it off. Once they have the paper work to show it was exported legitmately they can zero rate the on their tax return. It will depend how long ago he bought it but if recently they won't have yet filed their bi-monthly vat return, if they have it'll take a bit longer to sort! Happened to a mate of mine and it took him a good while to get it sorted but he did in the end.

Advertisement