Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first time...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i have never had to buy one thank **** i go with the root of morning after pill. that has saved my ass a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

First time I ever had a pregnancy scare I was 18, first sexual relationship. (At the time, the "kodak moments" ads were doing the rounds. I can remember thinking "when he cums and pulls out and the pathetic shrivels of torn condom are hanging off his rapidly drooping willy, and then he looks at you - that face, that's a sodding kodak moment.) Unfortunately, like a lot of 18 year olds, my biggest fear wasn't the fact of the potential pregnancy as much as my fear of the reaction from my family, so I just stuck it out in stress for the three or four overdue weeks or whatever that it took for my period to reappear.

Didn't tell nobody, including him, and started to have tunnel vision, visit the loo about 20 times a day and generally stress myself to bits. Didn't have - not sure - the guts? The sense? The maturity? The cop-on? - to go to the chemist for a pregnancy test. Can't even remember the relief when I got my period, can just remember the tunnel vision obsession and walking around in a horrified daze.

Unsurprisingly, didn't have another pregnancy scare for the next 12 years. Buying a test aged 30 wasn't a big deal - was in the UK, bought it in Boots in a basket of goods, not sure the girls in the store even noticed what they were scanning. At the time my menstrual cycle had just taken a break - no big reason, just switched itself off for 10 months. I sort of knew I wasn't pregnant, just needed to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I sound like a coward but I got him to buy it - I think that it was after our first time (we used protection and I was being paranoid). Last time I bought one was a few months ago, though I was not even having periods at that time, was going for a sort of x-ray and could not be pregnant for it - next one is coming up and he is not allowed to go near me for a month (poor us), it just is not worth the embarassing questions. Roll on February when we will be hoping to get positive results from the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was 15 and extremely paranoid after my second time with my boyfriend.
    went up to tescos and bough one.didnt get any odd looks just the woman looked straight through me.thankfully it was negative.
    on the pill now and use condoms i never want that fear again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I sound like a coward but I got him to buy it.
    I'll see that and raise you... :D A mate of mine thought him and his girlfriend may be in trouble. She's too embarrassed to get a kit, so he says he will. He rings me later and asks for a lift so I drive him to chemist. He comes out with a packet of barley sugars and asks me to go in and ask. So I ended up buying the kit.

I've done that twice for male mates of mine. Cue major explaining for me when my girlfriend of the time spotted the kit in the car before I got it to one of the blokes...:eek::D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I too have been asked from time to time to go shopping for or accompany a person buying a kit, have been asked to go with as well for vibe and condom shopping that I will help a person do for thier first time but really if you are mature enough to be having sex you should be able to buy condoms and if needs be a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

I remember doing one in the lunch break at school when I was about 16.... friend had a spare one so bought it in for me... it was negative, but I remember walking back up to school imagining it like some sort of scene from a movie where you can see the test in the bin and the pink line or whatever slowly starts to materialise.......

Paranoid much? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I went to a Brook Advisory Centre (living in the UK at the time) because he had just dumped me because of it and I couldn't handle a positive result by myself. Got some 'what if' & STI counseling, peed in a cup and got the negative I was hoping for :) About as pleasant an experience as it could be given the circumstances I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Only had one scare and he bought the test. Not for any particular reason other than he was passing the chemist, and I wasnt.

I have been refused contraception in a chemist run by two old ladies, and a muslim doctor refused to prescribe me the pill, in UCD of all places... After the fecking wait for an appointment there, you'd think they would inform you that the doctor had limitations in what she wished to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

fits wrote: »
    Only had one scare and he bought the test. Not for any particular reason other than he was passing the chemist, and I wasnt.

I have been refused contraception in a chemist run by two old ladies, and a muslim doctor refused to prescribe me the pill, in UCD of all places... After the fecking wait for an appointment there, you'd think they would inform you that the doctor had limitations in what she wished to do.

Funny you should mention that. I walked into her (if it's the same lady) office and first thing she asked was if I was looking for the pill. :DLOL

I actually had an ear infection. :o

I'm automatically sent to another doctor there for my pill appointments. Didn't think much of it 'til you pointed that out.

Anyway, apologies, that was slightly off topic. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

I'm 30 and never had to buy one...thank god! Have been on pill for last 8 years and luckily has always worked for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

This thread title leads me to disappointment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

was auful :( i was living in france and the chemist up the road was shut (it was shut for all of august!)
    so the only chance i had was on a day off when loads of us went into paris together.
    gossip travelled like wildfire in that place so i didnt want anyone to know. but getting away from the group for long enough to sneak to a chemist and read aloud from a dictionary was so hard.
    ugh. i did eventually manage it but a couple of people found out.
    it was negitive, thank god. but an auful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

The Lord Jesus.. I was working in a Tiny town in West Cork and had to go in to chemist whetre they were Behind the counter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Mind you there lately I have had to buy them for friends and just swagger up... Its mind over matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fawnwillow

Mine was a few months ago, brought my friend with me, never told my boyfriend. Havent had to do it again thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I had to buy one for the girlfriend alright. I think she was working that day and I wasn't so she asked me to do it. Not too sure actually.

I'd say I was 18 or 19, and had been buying condoms for two or three years so didn't really have the embarassment thing going on.

Either way, I went into Tesco at about 4pm midweek. Huge crowds. Get on. Walk to checkout. Queue for about five minutes, holding only this pregnancy test! Then when the girl goes to take off the plastic security case, she can't. Tries for about 30 seconds! Then has to go and get another one. Thankfully the case came off this one. Don't think I was too embarassed but what luck eh!

At least I wasn't too nervous about what the result was going to be. I can't imagine what that would be like. Hadn't had any accidents or anything but she was a bit late. Negative, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Had to buy one for a friend - into the chemist and realised the lady behind the counter knew my mother.... got a fit of verbal diarrhea (i'd be prone to that!) and proceeded to ask would she recomend the one I had or was there a better one - In my head all I could think was stop talking and get out of there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

I was 18 or 19, with my first long term boyfriend, and I think I just had a bad feeling, rather than even being late. Told my best friend and went to Boots, was just grabbing it when several other friends came up behind us thinking we were looking at plasters or something. I nearly died - the awkward silence when they saw what we were actually buying! The actual purchase was grand, but I can still see there being issues with buying one in my small local chemist. In fact I reckon the chemist would ring my mother!

Ah that minus sign was the best thing I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I;ll never forget my first time, oh my god! I was so nervous, i had been seeing a guy for a few months and i was mental about him, my period was late so i dragged my friend into a chemist with me to get a test. We picked the cheapest one there and went to the counter got it and ran home to do it. it was negative. Phew. Few days later the guy i was dating called round like a raging bull asking was i pregnant. The girl in the chemist who was also mental about him rang him to tell him i might be trying to .... catch him out!!!!!!!
    I was so upset ended up crying and telling my dad, (WHY I ASK MYSELF ugh) anyway he knows the guy that owns the chemist, went in and complained the girl for her breach of client confidentiality, she got sacked, i got dumped!
    PS : saw tesco preg tests the other day, think they are 6euro! Far cry from the 15£ i spent on my first one! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The first pregnancy test I took...

Sitting in work and realised I was two months late (how I went two months without noticing I have no idea) so texted the boyfriend who's a security guard in a chemist in the city centre and he said he'd get me a test and to come meet him after work to collect it.

Ran out of the office at 5pm and over to the chemist, was going to wait till I got home but couldn't so went into Arnotts and done the test in the toilet. It was positive... So went to the doctor and he done one to confirm and he told me "no that's negative you're not pregnant". Cue me crying cos I was getting used to the idea. Went home and took FIVE more tests and all were positive. Went back to the doctors the next day waving them in his face!!

Here I am 3 months later, 5 months pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Here I am 3 months later, 5 months pregnant!

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Pythia wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks! Can't wait to get the little bugger out though lol! Ah no, just been having some lovely pregnancy related problems lately, but that's another thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Myself and my best mate were 17 and had just lost our virginity and neither of us had used protection:rolleyes: Idiots!

Anyway, mine was negative and hers was positive - Pregnant her first time having sex:eek:

She had the baby while we all partied and got on with life.. I have such admiration for her, she just got on with it..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The first time I actually bought a test was when I was 16, it was for one of my friends who had slept with someone her first time and hadn't used anything. I went into a Boots, wasn't nervous or embarrassed cos it wasn't for me. I'd say if it had been though, I'd have been bright red walking up to the counter!! Luckily for my mate it was negative.

First time I bought one for me was when I was 19 and living in Australia backpacking, so it really wasn't too bad cos there was no chance of anyone in any of the shops knowing me! And better yet, when i went into the supermarket, they had those automatic checkouts like in Tesco, so I never acutally saw anyone when I was buying it! My OH was waiting outside the shop for me, expecting me to be all mortified and needing a hug, and when I told him, he started to laugh and said we should go in and stock up in case we needed any for the future :p

I had to buy another one last year, and my OH was in the shop with me, and when we went up to pay the chemist started cooing over us saying congratulations and all that, which was sweet, but the two of us were totally bricking it and praying it was negative lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My OH bought it. I think it's because he thought I was was pregnant but I was pretty sure I wasn't so I was doing the test more for him!

He wasn't embarassed in the slightest buying it and no, I wasn't pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was 20, and I'd just broken up with the guy after coming to the realisation that I'm a complete and utter dyke, and then realised I'd missed a period. Got it in Boots in Tallaght after work one day, didn't get any funny looks off anyone (Tallaght, they must be used to it by now!) - did the test the next morning and it was negative. Thank ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I was 20 and the chemist i went into had a girl i knew working there so i had to pretend to look at other stuff and run out asap. Went to a different 1 then and it was grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

I used to work in a pharmacy and the first time I sold a pregnancy test I found it embarrassing (although not as bad as the first time I sold a box o'Durex - I sh1t you not, my hands were shaking) but after that it was a case of 'right, ring'em up and stick it in a bag'

For the most part pharmacy staff here don't bat an eyelid any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I do tend to very slighty smirk if someone buys a box of durex performa though. And I'll make all sorts of judgements if a young-looking person buys a pregnancy test.

You know that myth about the staff not noticing if you're buying one? Complete lie, I'll judge you right out of the shop!

Advertisement