Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most stupid things to fail test on?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

i have my test next month. last time i did it, a few years ago, i failed on exactly what the pre test dude told me to do. ie.

"dont bother putting the handbreak on at the junction of a busy road in case a driver wants to let you out, and you have to get out in a hurry"

and

"sure you can move over into the side of the road so your wheels go over each side of the speed ramp so you dont have to slow down"

i know, i know,, stupid right?

ive heard of people failing cause the tester couldnt find the back seat seat belt as it was down the side of the seat. and my own cousin failed cause he cut the white bits off the L plate.

whats the most ridiculous things youve failed on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cutting the white bits off you L plate is illegal, the plate must be square and have a white backround.(there are specific minimum dimensions for L plates that i can't remember off hand).
    As for stopping at junction, if you're going to be stopped for more than 3 seconds i would apply the handbrake, you may leave the car in gear if you are at the front of the cue, if you feel you that you may move off soon.
    As for your friend that failed because the tester couldn't find the seatbelt in the back, i think he's telling lies, you cannot fail for something as triveal as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

As for your friend that failed because the tester couldn't find the seatbelt in the back, i think he's telling lies, you cannot fail for something as triveal as that.

I can see someone failing the NCT for that (or at least being asked to come back when the seatbelt has been located) but I've never even heard of a driving tester looking in the back....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cutting the white bits off you L plate is illegal, the plate must be square and have a white backround.(there are specific minimum dimensions for L plates that i can't remember off hand).
    As for stopping at junction, if you're going to be stopped for more than 3 seconds i would apply the handbrake, you may leave the car in gear if you are at the front of the cue, if you feel you that you may move off soon.

I think the minimum is a 2cm square around the L. I checked it the other day!!

The stupidest one I heard recently was off a guy in work. Despite trying to protest to his instructor about how he was wrong, the instructor kept insisting you had to drive as close as possible cars parked on the left hand side.

Of course the poor guy failed. I think of of his 7 grade 2's were for that. How sickened would you be?

The stupidest fail I can think of is arriving back in the test centre with a clean sheet and letting the car run too far forward when you're trying to park after the tes and mounting the curb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Package wrote: »
    ive heard of people failing cause the tester couldnt find the back seat seat belt as it was down the side of the seat
    I think you may be confusing the driving test with the NCT.
    Cutting the white bits off you L plate is illegal, the plate must be square and have a white backround.(there are specific minimum dimensions for L plates that i can't remember off hand)
    Hanley wrote: »
    I think the minimum is a 2cm square around the L. I checked it the other day!
    It must be a red 'L' on a white background of 15cm square IIRC. It's specified in a Statutory Instrument but I haven't the time to dig it out now.

OP - you must remember that there are many myths out there that are usually concocted by those who have failed the test for proper reasons. Rather than tell their friends that they have failed for a series of everday faults, they prefer to resort to the old Irish trait of blaming someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I would imagine turning up late is the most stupid reason to fail !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Yeah there are a lot of people who will blame their fail on anyone but themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I failed my test for "not knowing how to drive over ramps". When I asked him to elaborate, he just said it wasn't his job to tell me exactly why or how, but that I wasn't doing it right. Passed the test the next time, no mention of ramps at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

I heard of someonecomitting a grade 3 error, then because he knew he had failed, stopped the car told the examiner to get out and walk back to the centre, then drove home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

stek wrote: »
    I heard of someonecomitting a grade 3 error, then because he knew he had failed, stopped the car told the examiner to get out and walk back to the centre, then drove home!

That was my mates brothers friend!!!

• Advertisement

stek wrote: »
    I've heard that dozens of times but I don't believe it. It always seems to be a friend of a brother, a mate of a work colleague etc. More urban myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Package wrote: »

"sure you can move over into the side of the road so your wheels go over each side of the speed ramp so you dont have to slow down"

Like a lot of things in driving its not black and white. If you are driving down a clear road you can certainly move to the left to keep the ramp in the center of the car. Likewise, if there are cars parked either side you could keep to the center and use the center ramp. It about having a smooth drive while always having safety as the highest priority.

Therefore, if there was a parked car, pedestrians, cyclists, on-coming traffic etc you would not move in such a way as to compromise safety just so you could keep the ramp in the center of the car. The part of the advice that was incorrect is about not having to slow down, irrespective of how you take the ramp you MUST slow down or you will be faulted for it.

Declan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Expired tax and/or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

ellscurr wrote: »
    Expired tax and/or insurance.

How is that a stupid thing to fail the test on? You're legally required to have both so if you don't have them you shouldn't be driving and ergo can't do your test. Seems pretty clever in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

i failed because the tester instructed me to turn down a one-way street.
    i was not familiar at all with the area and was too busy concentrating on driving to worry about the route, sure the tester knows the route!
    so i check my mirrors, indicated, slowed down and moved over towards to centre of the road, just in time to see the no entry signs :(
    i got a grade three for misleading signals.
    the tester was a <SNIP> about it, i was crying and not explaining myself very well. he said i should have been paying more attention to the road signs. which i guess is true, but like i said, you dont expect the tester to try and trick you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Expired NCT cert is probably a fairly easy one to get caught on. I think though that's not a fail for the test, they simply don't conduct the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

dudara wrote: »
    Expired NCT cert is probably a fairly easy one to get caught on. I think though that's not a fail for the test, they simply don't conduct the test.

Still pretty retarded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I've heard that dozens of times but I don't believe it. It always seems to be a friend of a brother, a mate of a work colleague etc. More urban myth!

I know a guy who done something similar (or at least told me this is what happened) ... test was in Sligo and when he realised he'd failed he tore out the Bundoran Road and told the tester to get the fupp outta the car.

He was banned from doing his test for a couple of years and when he went to do it again he applied for Boyle. Went there to do the test only to be greeted by the tester he had all those years ago in Sligo.

He just shook his hand, turned on his heal and went straight home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I know a guy who done something similar (or at least told me this is what happened) ... test was in Sligo and when he realised he'd failed he tore out the Bundoran Road and told the tester to get the fupp outta the car.

He was banned from doing his test for a couple of years and when he went to do it again he applied for Boyle. Went there to do the test only to be greeted by the tester he had all those years ago in Sligo.

And he lived happily ever after...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

ergonomics wrote: »
    How is that a stupid thing to fail the test on? You're legally required to have both so if you don't have them you shouldn't be driving and ergo can't do your test. Seems pretty clever in my view.

Chillax. I meant that the person being tested is stupid for showing up with either of those, not that it's a stupid rule to have. Of all the things you could recount having failed for, 'forgetting to tax the car' is hardly smart is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

dosed wrote: »
    i was not familiar at all with the area and was too busy concentrating on driving to worry about the route, sure the tester knows the route!
    so i check my mirrors, indicated, slowed down and moved over towards to centre of the road, just in time to see the no entry signs :(
    i got a grade three for misleading signals.
    the tester was a <SNIP> about it, i was crying and not explaining myself very well. he said i should have been paying more attention to the road signs. which i guess is true, but like i said, you dont expect the tester to try and trick you.....

I think you will find that the tester said to you "please take the next AVAILABLE right turn" If your tester uses the words available then look out for one way streets, they are not trying to trick you, there might be two roads side by side and they waited till you passed the first one (the one way street) it would be too late for you to safely take the turn.

dudara wrote: »
    GrumPy wrote: »
    Still pretty retarded though.
    GrumPy - how on earth do you think that's 'retarded'? If an NCT Certificate is legally required to utilise the vehicle on a public road, any non-retarded person will accept that it is therefore a requirement to have one for a vehicle to be used for a driving test on public roads!
    I think you will find that the tester said to you "please take the next AVAILABLE right turn" If your tester uses the words available then look out for one way streets
    It is also used when conducting test in larger vehicles such as trucks and buses. If the examiner requests that the next "available" right turn be taken, it is a signal that the next actual turn may have a 3 tonne restriction on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Hanley wrote: »
    The stupidest fail I can think of is arriving back in the test centre with a clean sheet and letting the car run too far forward when you're trying to park after the tes and mounting the curb.
    The test doesn't end until the car has been parked and the tester has alighted from the vehicle. And mounting the kerb is a Grade 3 I think.
    dosed wrote:
    so i check my mirrors, indicated, slowed down and moved over towards to centre of the road, just in time to see the no entry signs frown.gif
    The tester could have been testing your knowledge of observation and road signs. Although it's unlikely he purposely directed you down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

macroman wrote: »
    The tester could have been testing your knowledge of observation and road signs. Although it's unlikely he purposely directed you down that road.

+1 testers don't try and "trick" people esp in a situation that could be dangerous. What if a car was driving up the right way on the one way street and there wasn't room/time to avoid it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

macroman wrote: »
    The test doesn't end until the car has been parked and the tester has alighted from the vehicle. And mounting the kerb is a Grade 3 I think.

First correct, but second depends on the tester and the overall standard of driving of the applicant. I know a girl at end of test, drove into the "Reserved - Driving Test" sign.

Examiner gave her a grade 2 for parking - but was her only grade 2..

I have found most examiners are quite understanding, do not like failing good drivers and will forgive the odd mistake obviously made due to stress or nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Saint_Mel wrote: »

Just proving the point of the urban myth... you can't do a driving test in Boyle. There's no test centre.

NiSmO wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, the test would have been abandoned. I realise that the circumstances are the same for the candidate but he didn't 'fail'.
    Just proving the point of the urban myth... you can't do a driving test in Boyle. There's no test centre.
    Nice one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Strictly speaking, the test would have been abandoned. I realise that the circumstances are the same for the candidate but he didn't 'fail'.

yep, same happened me in Shannon, indicator blew during test, so the test was abandoned, i didn't fail and i was given another date at no extra cost, it's a bit of a pain to have to wait for it to come round again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A friend of my sister had to use her mother's car for the test at the last minute. She got herself added to her mother's insurance for the day, then took her own insurance disk from her car and put it in her mother's car. Needless to say the test was abandoned because the insurance disk was for the wrong car!

Advertisement