Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen refit

Options
  • 12-07-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

HI,
    I am in the midst of looking for a company to refit my kitchen for me. I am looking to extend the counter area and put in new presses and worktops. You would imagine in the age of the recession (or so we are told) that this would be a relatively easy job to source. Not so for me.
    I have contacted one carpenter who told me he was in the business for 10 years but when I asked him for references - he ran for the hills...so he was a non runner.:mad:
    I went to one kitchen company in blanchardstown who didn't return my call for four weeks and wanted me to call back to them again and again so I told them to get lost.
    I have tried phoning 3-4 other places but no avail. I should mention that I have my plans drawn up.

A friend has suggested that I go to Ikea. Has anyone any experiences of IKEA kitchens? I would be really interested in hearing more. Or indeed of any ideas for any companies I should contact or keep away from.
    West Dublin area.
    Thanks.
    :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Can you put up the plan of the kitchen or even pm it to me? I'l have a look at it for you if want and see what would be required...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

it really depends on what sort of quality you are after and what you are willing to spend
    If you are happy with chipboard carcasses and solid doors then you can drop into inhouse or cash &carry kitchensand they will "plan" out what you want and tell you what you need and give you a price for it all in. They can also provide someone to fit it if needed. If you are looking for more up market stuff then you will probably need either a carpenter or one of the fancier kitchen design showrooms.

How much do you want to spend and what do you expect to get for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

Hiya,

We bought an IKEA kitchen last year - we priced similar units in Cash & Carry and the panelling centre - their prices came in at about 6K ea excluding worktops and appliances - the IKEA kitchen, very similar in terms of quality, etc was sterling 2K plus delivery - so we saved quite a bit.

The panelling centre gave us a list of fitters in our area that they recommend - it may be an idea to go in there and get them to do you a drawing (which is free) and a price and get their list of fitters. Now, bear in mind with fitting if you buy from cash & carry the cabinets come ready assembled, and the IKEA ones are flat packed - therefore take longer to assemble. The chap we got no longer works in Dublin - however it did take him longer to fit as he wasn't familiar with IKEA terminology/etc.

Best of luck. We are delighted with out kitchen - we did spend quite a while planning the layout - it has been really worth it. The only thing we are disappointed with are the appliances - we bought them from one of the big electrical shops in the centre of town and there has been something wrong with everything we've bought and the goods have all had to go back.....very unsatisfactory.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bonnietyler

Thanks all for the advice, I probably want to spend max 5-8k.

I just want to have my kitchen looking a bit better than it does now and hopefully be able to sell it a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

can you post up some pics of the plans that you got so we can advise you even more?

• Advertisement
Advertisement