Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon repair in Ireland?

• 12-07-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Hi, searched the forum but can't find results appropriate ...

Was abroad and had a mishap with my Nikon D70, something got knocked on it and broke the small LCD screen on the top of the camera, showing operational parameters etc. The camera seems to be working OK other than that, but it's a pain in the erse to use. Has anyone in here direct experience of having repairs done to a Nikon in Ireland, or does it need to be sent elsewhere? Or is it worth my while even considering repairing a camera of this vintage?

Hughzer
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Yeah saw that one, but is that the only official Nikon repair centre in Ireland? Does anyone have direct experience of getting Nikons fixed here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Who would have guessed that the Nikon Service Centre would be out in the back of beyond :D. I happpen to live in Rathmolyon and it's not exactly where I thought I'd find the repair hiub for Ireland :o

Anyway if you would like a go-between I've no problems dropping it into them for you on the way home if you like. I'm in dublin most days. PM me is you would like more details.

Buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Anyway if you would like a go-between I've no problems dropping it into them for you on the way home if you like. I'm in dublin most days. PM me is you would like more details.

Buzz

Much appreciated Buzz, but I'll give 'em a call first and see if there's any insurance cover I can claim....

H'ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

Welcome back Hughzer! Sorry to hear about your Nikon injury.. Hope it gets better soon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When my 18-70 had a fault I was going to send it off for repair there. The estimate by phone was €150 to €200 to fix it & a 4 to 6 week wait. I ended up trying to fix it myself & eventually did, after breaking it elsewhere. Replaced the lens with an 18-200 VR for about €450.

If anyone has a problem with the Zoom Ring on the 18-70 I now know how to fix it. So I did learn something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Meister

Yea, I had a problem with an 18-70 ( dropped it). Called them and sent it off, had it back 1 week later. Not a problem since. Actulally was one of the reasons I bought a D60 as I thought the backup was great. friends of mine have Canon and the backup seems to be tragic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have not tried them, as I said.

Found the Service from Sigma to be fantastic. They are in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I sent my Nikon lens to their UK service centre (not sure why I didn't send it to the Irish centre). Anyway, I was happy with the service, prompt and good status tracking online.

I heard Nikon are pretty good when it comes to customer service and my own experience has confirmed it.

Hope you get your camera sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Hi, anyone know the address of the service center in ireland becuase the link above doesnt seem to be valid anymore and its hard to find this info on the Nikon page.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Found it since posting... Here it is in case anyone else needs it. (as this discussion is the first result posted by google if you search for nikon service ireland)

SLR Service Centre
    Rathmolyon
    Co Meath
    Eire
    Tel (Eire) 04695 57151
    Tel (From UK) 00353 4695 57151

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hi, anyone know the address of the service center in ireland becuase the link above doesnt seem to be valid anymore and its hard to find this info on the Nikon page.

Thanks

If you dig around a bit on the site it's there
    http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service_support/Repair+Centre/Support_Authorised_Repair_Centres.page?lid=3&lidsub1=0&lidsub2=0&lidsub3=0&lidsub4=0&sParamValueLbl=&sParamValue=&dcr=

SLR Service Centre
    Rathmolyon
    Co Meath
    Eire
    Tel (Eire) 04695 57151
    Tel (From UK) 00353 4695 57151

-edit- snap -edit-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Don't suppose anyone else could tell me how much it cost to get their lens fixed. Dropped mine(18-105mm VR), not very hard (while on my stag) and one of the little plastic "bits" on the baseplate which allows it to slot into the camera broke off, and it won't fit into the camera anymore :(. I called into a well known camera retailer in Dublin who started telling me about all the other different things that could also be broken and how Nikon would charge me €50 for a quote...........

He thought it would be a much better idea if I bought a new one from him for €279.00, now there's a surprise!

Anyway just thought I'd check in case he ends up being right

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ihastakephoto

I recently used the repair centre for my sister in-law.
    Like Phil, I live not too far from rathmolyon and drive thru every day, they insisted on using their own courier service at a cost of c.€80 on top of repairs, however, following extended conversations the office manager agreed to meet me nearby for drop off and collection. Both body (D70) and lens were damaged after being dropped from a height, they phoned me a few days later and gave me an estimate to have the damaged lens element replaced and the repairs to the body done (€180) which I thought was reasonable, agreed and had the whole lot back within 3 weeks.
    All in all, I can't fault their service. (Oh and ALL repairs are carrie dout here according to their office manager)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Gerard93

Used SLR Service Centre a few years ago, found them great could'nt fault very prompt service also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Another +1 for the SLR Service Centre. I'd an old 2002 vintage Nikon Coolpix 5700 in which the sensor died on me last year. Turned out that it's a known fault and is still covered under warranty! I sent the cam to their repair facility and it was then forwarded to the UK for repair work (this was standard procedure according to the girl I spoke with). Received a few email updates as to the progress on the repair and after 3-4 weeks it was returned to me as good as new....and it only cost me the price of shipping it to Meath!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aom28

CabanSail wrote: »
    When my 18-70 had a fault I was going to send it off for repair there. The estimate by phone was €150 to €200 to fix it & a 4 to 6 week wait. I ended up trying to fix it myself & eventually did, after breaking it elsewhere. Replaced the lens with an 18-200 VR for about €450.

If anyone has a problem with the Zoom Ring on the 18-70 I now know how to fix it. So I did learn something.

I would be interested in hearing what problem you had with the 18-70 and how you sorted it. At the moment mine, at times, is catching at 24mm if I try to go to the 18 end. I'd prefer to get it sorted before it's a gonner, if it's at all possible. At the moment not able to afford to replace, or even it sounds like repair it if I get the quote you did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

aom28 wrote: »
    I would be interested in hearing what problem you had with the 18-70 and how you sorted it. At the moment mine, at times, is catching at 24mm if I try to go to the 18 end. I'd prefer to get it sorted before it's a gonner, if it's at all possible. At the moment not able to afford to replace, or even it sounds like repair it if I get the quote you did!

sounds like something could be blocking the guide rails that make the lens barrel extend which would make it catch, is it only when you are zomming to the wider end or both ways? does it click or grind at all? I could take a look at it if you wanted? Ill see what the problem is and give you a qoute and see what you want to do. PM me with details if youre interested.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

indeed Mick & Jan are both great people to deal with,I've dealt with them for years and I could count the number of problems or issues I've had with them on one hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

If you are in dublin call into Gunns. They will advise you and also have the names of repair persons they seem to recomend. That is one of the reasons i got my gear from them rather than london or the web

• Advertisement

sounds like something could be blocking the guide rails that make the lens barrel extend which would make it catch, is it only when you are zomming to the wider end or both ways? does it click or grind at all?

Sometimes it does a click as I zoom towards the 70mm end (somewhere about 35 - 40 mm) but not always. But if I go back towards 24 and then try again there is usually no problem. It is when going towards 18mm that it stops at 24 and I don't want to force it. Sometimes by fiddling with the zoom it will go but not always.
    I could take a look at it if you wanted? Ill see what the problem is and give you a qoute and see what you want to do.

Thank you for the offer. I was really looking for info before sending it back to nikon - or better again - an idiot proof solution that didn't cost!!!

nick 56 wrote: »
    If you are in dublin call into Gunns. They will advise you and also have the names of repair persons they seem to recomend. That is one of the reasons i got my gear from them rather than london or the web

I bought local too (Cork) but they shrugged and said they could send it to nikon or I could do it myself!

That doesnt sound like it would be a difficult repair to do for you, it is most likely an obstruction in the lens barrel or guide rail or possibly a loose component that is slightly catching hence the click one way but jam the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 edwardwang

any one know how much will cost for replace a AF-S motor for my AF-S 80-200? the motor works, but the focus speed is not as fast as it should be. otherwise, it still works great. just when i use it for shot the sports or birds, it makes me mad!
    any ideas?

Cheers,
    Ed

edwardwang wrote: »
    any one know how much will cost for replace a AF-S motor for my AF-S 80-200? the motor works, but the focus speed is not as fast as it should be. otherwise, it still works great. just when i use it for shot the sports or birds, it makes me mad!
    any ideas?

Cheers,
    Ed

Hi Edward, it might not actually be the AF that is causing problems, it could be something causing more friction then normal like a warped barrel hence the slow down of the AF.
    I sent you a PM there with details

edwardwang

Had a problem with a lens a few months ago. Zerohamster fixed it beautifully and promptly. And I see he has contacted you. Would definitely recommend him!

aom28

aom28 wrote: »
    edwardwang

Had a problem with a lens a few months ago. Zerohamster fixed it beautifully and promptly. And I see he has contacted you. Would definitely recommend him!

aom28

Thanks for the feedback Anne :)

Advertisement