Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet on my laptops no longer working via wireless

Options
  • 12-07-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi

Just there the last day I was using my internet (on my desktop) when all of a sudden the internet crashed. After tryin to check what was the problem I checked the phone lines and all conection was down. This was ok cause the next morning it was back up and running.

My problem now is all of a sudden my internet will work on my desktop but not on my laptops (I have a wireless in the house). The laptop see's there is a connection and says the connection strenght is excellent but it just wont connect i have tried everything.

On that screen where it shows those 3 pictures the computer leading to a broadband andthen to internet everythin is prefect but there is an "X" before the internet. I clicked diagnose problem and NOTHING! it asked my to reset the wireless network adapter, which I did and still it didnt fixed problem. It said something like "cannot communicate with primary DNS or something!

Please help

Very urgent! I need to get the wireless back up and working on my laptops at home!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Have you tried pinging/dumping tcp ip/firewall?

What do you mean by saying you have done "everything"? It helps to know so we know what to do to help you fix it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you are using ZoneAlarm on the affected machines?

go to:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055331949

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

try disabling/enabling the wireless protocol on the laptop

Worked for me with something similar, to do this go to control panel
    administrative controls
    Services
    Then go down near the end and click on "Windows Zero Configuation"

Hit stop, give it 5 seconds
    Then hit start.

If all goes well it should auto connect hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭paleoboy

Cheers for the reply!

No I havent done any of these things!

What I have tried is I just re-booted laptops, reset the wireless networks, tried remaking the connnection on the laptop.

I mean the lapt recognises a strong connection, but it just isnt connecting for some reason.

In the network and sharing centre screen the arrows on the connection map go all the way across until just before th internet where there is an X but it says "signal strenght=excellent".

Please help,

Cheers

Thanks a million

nuxx im using Vista! Where is "administrative controlls"

thanks man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi Paleoboy

Don't know if it'll work for you but when I had a very similar issue I set my laptop to a static IP address. Can't remember off the top of my head how I did it (In work at the mo, so no administrative options) but i just googled it and followed the easy instructions. As soon as I did that I had full connection to the network.
    Hope it helps, let me know if it works.

Jarvis

Hello guys,

Cheers for all the replys!

Ok very interesting update! I have brought my laptop co University and the laptop wirelss works here! So its nothing to do with updates or problems with the laptop etc.

So... at home the desktop is fine and the internet works perfectly ok but for some reason the wireless is still not working. The laptops registar a connection but dont seem to connect. As in the laptops detect and excellent signal but for some reason dont connect something is stopping them...?

Could it be something to do with restrictions placed from the desktop on other computers using signal or something!

Please help

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Who me?

It sounds like it has lost the security key. Have you tried entering that again?

I have no idea what that is? How do i enter that again! I dont have any password protection or anything on my internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

Ok paleoboy firstly you keep mentioning that the desktop is working fine. Is the desktop using the wireless? I ask because it's not completely clear from your posts and can give a clue to whats actually wrong.

Secondly have you checked that you are getting an ip address consistent with your wireless network setup on the laptop? This is usually the problem and as Jarvis suggested setting a static ip can resolve this.

Thirdly and lastly if you have no passwords or network keys on your wireless network then I seriously suggest you check out the user manual for your router and setup security on it. Otherwise anyone could be using your internet connection. Believe me it is a problem as I've had to do it for a friend whose neighbour was doing just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

lambchops wrote: »
    Ok paleoboy firstly you keep mentioning that the desktop is working fine. Is the desktop using the wireless? I ask because it's not completely clear from your posts and can give a clue to whats actually wrong.

Secondly have you checked that you are getting an ip address consistent with your wireless network setup on the laptop? This is usually the problem and as Jarvis suggested setting a static ip can resolve this.

Thirdly and lastly if you have no passwords or network keys on your wireless network then I seriously suggest you check out the user manual for your router and setup security on it. Otherwise anyone could be using your internet connection. Believe me it is a problem as I've had to do it for a friend whose neighbour was doing just that.

wireless hijack? is there a little lock beside the wireless signal when you see it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Thread title changed and moved to Wireless.

Advertisement