Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another immigration thread closed

Options
  • 12-07-2008 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

This thread was closed yesterday by that oscarbravo character
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317216&page=7

Because it was going round in circles?

I don't know if his parents tried to teach him any manners when he was young but they obviously did a bad job if he considers it acceptable behaviour to cut short a discussion (one that he himself was not contributing to) without providing a good reason.

I can see nothing in that thread that would have justified a closure. The subject was relevant to the EU forum, valid points were made by all contributors (with one obvious exception), all replies were civil and relevant to the dicussion (obvious exception again), no offensive or inappropriate language was used ('Japs' like 'Brits' is a harmless affectionate term - I've heard David McWilliams using it) and no warning was given by any of the moderators that anything in the thread was worthy of a closure.

The claim that it was going around in circles is also hard to defend. I can see very little repetition in the posts. Several different points were made and those that could be addressed in a single reply were, those that couldn't took longer. The issue of immigration can raise strongly-held opinions on both sides and so it was to be expected that this thread, like most other immigration threads, would take up more than a few pages. If going round in circles means spending longer than five or six posts dealing with the same point then how many other threads on boards.ie are under threat of closure for excessive circle rounding?

And even if the thread was going around in circles, so what? I don't see what business that is of oscarbravo's. It's not as if we were preventing anyone else from engaging in a discussion that wasn't going around in circles. There's plenty of room in that forum for other threads. If people want to continue a discussion, and as long as they aren't being abusive or otherwise breaking the forum rules, then what business is it of the moderators whether they're going around in circles or not?

These kinds of arbitrary thread closures and bannings are not only annoying for those people affected but but they also make a mockery of those who say that the rules are important for the site. What's the point in having rules if observance of those rules is no guarantee that people won't be banned or that the thread they're posting on won't be closed?

Can a moderator please re-open that thread? If not, can you at least provide more than a one sentence explanation for why it deserved to be closed?
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

OscarBravo thought you where polish so he closed the thread to force you back to where ever your from (ploish people are from france right?). Now that its clear you're a white proud Irish nationalist, he'll be along shortly to reopen the thread comrade.

Sorry for posting bull****, but you started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

People like you should go back to your own forum where you started posting from. Coming into feedback taking all our threads.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Boring. I was hoping for a more explosive fight da powah rant when I saw the thread title tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Sounds like you were discussing a politically incorrect topic. There is your crime and the reason the thread was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Another troll rises. Sieg Heil .o/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hopefully it was closed because of the severe throwing opinion around as if it was fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Dragan wrote:
    Hopefully it was closed because of the severe throwing opinion around as if it was fact.

That wasn't the reason given by oscarbravo when he closed the thread. He said he closed it because it was going round in circles.

I admitted in a reply to nesf that I was wrong to repeat something I read in a book and try to present it as fact. I withdrew the statement I made and even acknowledged that the explanation he gave was a far better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Zaph wrote: »
    Boring. I was hoping for a more explosive fight da powah rant when I saw the thread title tbh.

seconded.wheres the namecalling and questioning of the mods' integrity?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll go first...

racist-lolcat-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From scanning the second last page, my opinion is that the OP and djpbarry should get a room.

Oh - and oB should go back to his own country! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Allow me to retort;

funny-dog-pictures-wall-dog-appears.jpg

funny-dog-pictures-dog-runs-to-bacon.jpg

funny-dog-pictures-dog-shows-you-his-mean-face.jpg

funny-dog-pictures-cat-and-dog-behave-inappropriately.jpg

funny-dog-pictures-the-game-is-over.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

tireddogisti128603580338743878.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I hear OscarBravo goes to orphanages and shouts out "Oh my god, that's my son! Praise the Lord, I found my... Oh, wait, my mistake, never mind."

And then collects the tears as an aphrodisiac.

Those images are all vey nice but they're taking up a lot of bandwidth and making it really difficult to scroll down the page.

I appreciate your contribution but I started the thread so that we could discuss whether that immigration thread deserved to be closed. Those images of the dogs are making it difficult to have that discussion.

Would you do me a favour and remove them so we can get back to the subject of the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sarky wrote: »
    I hear OscarBravo goes to orphanages and shouts out "Oh my god, that's my son! Praish the Lord, I found my... Oh, wait, my mistake, never mind."

And then collects the tears as an aphrodisiac.

I heard that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

O'Morris wrote: »
    Those images are all vey nice but they're taking up a lot of bandwidth and making it really difficult to scroll down the page.

I appreciate your contribution but I started the thread so that we could discuss whether that immigration thread deserved to be closed. Those images of the dogs are making it difficult to have that discussion.

Would you do me a favour and remove them so we can get back to the subject of the thread?

Why just the dogs?

Is it because the cats were here first and the dogs came over and took their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Awaits Longcat is long picture :)

Please don't think the purpose of this thread is to attack oscarbravo. I know he has enemies but I'm not one of them. I have nothing but respect for oscarbravo and for the other moderators.

Me and oscarbravo actually go back a long way. We used to post together over on the INP forums before they were closed down a few months ago. We both share the view that a reduction in immigration is desirable now that the economy is in a recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ok, this is totally OT but I actually know the person who owns the dog in the "Bacon!" pic - how weird is that??? Her name is Binga.

The dog, that is, not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Please don't think the purpose of this thread is to attack oscarbravo. I know he has enemies but I'm not one of them. I have nothing but respect for oscarbravo and for the other moderators.
    let's join forces and we can defeat the likes of evil oB and the politics forum

{mwahahahahaha}
    Me and oscarbravo actually go back a long way. We used to post together over on the INP forums before they were closed down a few months ago. We both share the view that a reduction in immigration is desirable now that the economy is in a recession.
    i share the same view but it doesn't mean i like anyone any more or less. Many people like fianna fail, and the same for fine gael, but it means absoloutley nothing that if they like each other or not. it just gives them one less thing to fight about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yes it did.

The thread was just going to devolve into a load of baiting as it always does so the mod was just cutting it off at the pass.

In accordance with your wish, I shall not post a dog.

Lolcat.jpg

SDooM wrote: »
    The thread was just going to devolve into a load of baiting as it always does so the mod was just cutting it off at the pass.

In accordance with your wish, I shall not post a dog.

Why are you posting these images? Don't you realise how disruptive this is? I don't know what I've done to offend you off but if you're looking for a fight then please look for it elsewhere. I'm not interested.

I don't think you'd like it if someone was doing that in one of your threads so please stop doing it in this thread. I see you're a moderator as well. You're really setting a bad example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ok, this is totally OT but I actually know the person who owns the dog in the "Bacon!" pic - how weird is that??? Her name is Binga.

The dog, that is, not the owner.

Thats pretty wierd alright. How did you notice the pic was posted here, if you don't mind my askin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

WindSock wrote: »
    Thats pretty wierd alright. How did you notice the pic was posted here, if you don't mind my askin?

I was reading through the new posts, the topic of this one caught my eye, I opened it and there she was!

Her owner is going to love this! They live in the States! Just goes to show you what a small world it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

This thread was closed yesterday by that oscarbravo character
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317216&page=7

Because it was going round in circles?

I don't know if his parents tried to teach him any manners when he was young but they obviously did a bad job if he considers it acceptable behaviour to cut short a discussion (one that he himself was not contributing to) without providing a good reason.

I can see nothing in that thread that would have justified a closure. The subject was relevant to the EU forum, valid points were made by all contributors (with one obvious exception), all replies were civil and relevant to the dicussion (obvious exception again), no offensive or inappropriate language was used ('Japs' like 'Brits' is a harmless affectionate term - I've heard David McWilliams using it) and no warning was given by any of the moderators that anything in the thread was worthy of a closure.

The word jap or japs is a derogative word.The oxford dictionary describes it as an offensive word. Technically it is derogative. There has to be consistency on closing threads otherwise one might be seen as capricious and OB seems to avoid this by being consistently :confused: strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

But the cats are cool, right?

edit: ah crap. about 5 posts too late

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does that mean that my Jap's Eye is offensive? I've had nothing but admiring comments so far.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

javaboy wrote: »
    Awaits Longcat is long picture :)

longcat-really%20long.jpg

:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You're a funny guy, I'll give you that.

No, wait. Not funny. What's that other word? The opposite of funny?

• Advertisement

pirelli wrote:
    The word jap or japs is a derogative word.The oxford dictionary describes it as an offensive word. Technically it is derogative.

Yes, in some contexts the word 'Jap' is clearly an offensive and derogatory term, the same way the word 'Brit' can be used in an offensive and derogatory context as well. However in common usage I think the term is a light-hearted and affectionate term for a nation that most people have a very positive image of. I think it's obvious from the context in which I used it in that thread that that's how I intended the term to be interpreted. It's like the way people light-heartedly refer to French people as frogs or Americans as yanks, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Japanese people and for what they've achieved as a nation. I would only ever speak of them in positive terms.

pirelli wrote:
    There has to be consistency on closing threads otherwise one might be seen as capricious

What the hell does that mean? How can it be seen as anything other than capricious to close a thread without giving a proper reason for why the thread is being closed? If a moderator is going to close a thread they should be prepared to either point to the rule that has been broken or if they can't think of any rule at least give a more detailed explanation for why they decided to take the action they've taken.

I remember him in another thread claiming that people who vote capriciously should be 'castigated'. If voters who can't give a good reason for why they vote in a particular way deserve to be castigated then so too do moderators deserve to be 'castigated' if they aren't prepared to give a proper reason for the actions that they take.

oscarBravo wrote:
    No, wait. Not funny. What's that other word? The opposite of funny?

Serious?

Can you please explain why you decided to close that thread?

Advertisement