Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another immigration thread closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

O'Morris wrote: »
    Can you please explain why you decided to close that thread?
    Because it was going round in circles, I thought that was stated originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Damn it Gordon, now THIS thread's going round in circles! We're trapped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Gordon wrote:
    Because it was going round in circles

Not good enough old boy! Not good enough!

If going around in circles is a good enough reason for closing a thread then dozens of other threads on boards.ie would not still be running. For example, why wasn't this thread closed
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055314710

or this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055316887

or this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055313521&page=15

Those are just three picked at random but I could point to many others where the same points are discussed endlessly and there isn't a peep from the moderators. Practically ever long-running thread on the site could be closed for going around in circles as going in around in circles is what happens when people hold strong views about something.

And if you read the immigration thread you will see that it was not actually going around in circles. The discussion was proceeding nicely. It was far more civil and far more constructive than many of the other discussions you'll find on the politics forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ok, this is totally OT but I actually know the person who owns the dog in the "Bacon!" pic - how weird is that??? Her name is Binga.

The dog, that is, not the owner.

I had a dog when I was a little boy. It was stolen in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Why are you posting these images? Don't you realise how disruptive this is?
    Welcome to feedback, the biggest peanut gallery on the internet. They get especially verbose with the cat pics when its all a bit much for them, threads complaining about politics especially for some reason.

/just kidding, you guys have been great

• Advertisement

They get especially verbose with the cat pics when its all a bit much for them, threads complaining about politics especially for some reason.

I've sent PMs to the moderators of the forum informing them of what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've sent PMs to the moderators of the forum informing them of what's happening.

The mods of which forum? Politics or ........ feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I assume you mean Feedback as I got no PM.

Your posts and thread were full of the same baseless crap that similar threads get closed for.

Oscarbravo got the before the rest of us so he gets the brunt of your stupid feedback thread. Hardly fair, seeing as any of us would have done the same. I may even have banned you.

When you learn to post intelligently, you'll find your threads don't get closed as much.

javaboy wrote:
    The mods of which forum? Politics or ........ feedback?

Feedback.

I'm referring to the practice of spamming these threads with those photoshopped images of animals.

GuanYin wrote:
    Your posts and thread were full of the same baseless crap that similar threads get closed for.

Have you read the thread? If the thread was closed for baseless crap I would appreciate if that was made clear when it was closed, with examples of some of the baseless crap. That didn't happen when the thread was closed, according to oscarbravo is was closed for going around in circles.

The only baseless claim I made in the thread was related to a claim I repeated from the David McWilliams' book the generation game. I admitted that I was wrong to present it as a fact when it clearly wasn't a fact. The thread continued for a least a page after that post so whatever the reason for closing it, it's unlikely to be related to that one incident.

GuanYin wrote:
    Oscarbravo got the before the rest of us so he gets the brunt of your stupid feedback thread.

Please try to keep it civil. If there's anything stupid about this thread then I'd be greatful if you'd point it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ah but we all enjoy seeing the lads' pussies.

There is a pattern emerging though, you get the short peremptory replies, then you get the thread closed after those replies are ignored, then you get the universal closing of ranks by people who never even participate in politics, lawl.

And then you get bullshit like this genius:
    GuanYin wrote:
    When you learn to post intelligently, you'll find your threads don't get closed as much.
    Apparently handing out personal abuse when you didn't read anything but the thread title is grand now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ok, this is totally OT but I actually know the person who owns the dog in the "Bacon!" pic - how weird is that??? Her name is Binga.

The dog, that is, not the owner.

If that's the case, it's a pretty good capture. I commend the photographer.

But OT:

Bold OscarBravo!

/smacks OB with a rolled up copy of the Moderator Code of Practise, and proceeds to rub his nose in the pile of locked threads in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Feedback.

I'm referring to the practice of spamming these threads with those photoshopped images of animals.

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

Have you read the thread? If the thread was closed for baseless crap I would appreciate if that was made clear when it was closed,

I think having some kind of super powers in a location based on where you are born is a load of crap. That would mean superman would never of been able to fly.
    Please try to keep it civil. If there's anything stupid about this thread then I'd be greatful if you'd point it out.

no win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hobbes wrote: »
    I think having some kind of super powers in a location based on where you are born is a load of crap. That would mean superman would never of been able to fly.

But superman did have superpowers based on where he was born, crypton. It had a red sun and so when he came to earth he had all these mad powers. tbh super man was a dirty border jumper of questionable religious faith and parentage and I'm still not convinced there wasn't an earthling that could of done his job.

Superman was a bastard scab immigrant from the south part of the galaxy. Go home superman, go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

Boston wrote: »
    But superman did have superpowers based on where he was born, crypton. It had a red sun and so when he came to earth he had all these made powers. tbh super man was a dirty border jumper of questionable religious faith and parentage and I'm still not convinced there wasn't an earthling that could of done his job.

Superman was a bastard scab immigrant from the south part of the galaxy. Go home superman, go home.

Issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

As one of the moderators of this forum, I'd just like to point out that I mainly read feedback to see lolcats

regi wrote: »
    As one of the moderators of this forum, I'd just like to point out that I mainly read feedback to see lolcats

Won't somebody *please* think of the loldogs?

;)

Won't somebody *please* think of the loldogs?

;)

Don't waste your breath. The pro-cat anti-dog bias from the admins has been clear for some time. Fight da powah and such.

*rabble*

I can has lolbush?

political-pictures-george-bush-something-wrong-banana-corn.jpg

political-pictures-george-bush-approval-fuhgedaboutit

political-pictures-george-bush-foreign-guy-pull-finger.jpg

political-pictures-george-bush-gay-navy.jpg

political-pictures-george-bush-orangatang.jpg

political-pictures-george-bush-exit-strategy-china.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

My Budgie's name is Oscar. Great name ;)

I'm still waiting for a moderator to give a proper explanation for why the thread was closed.

Oscarbravo? You there big guy? Don't be afraid, you know old Mac is harmless. As I said, I didn't start this thread as a personal attack on you. I just want you to be a man and accept the consequences of your actions. Either re-open the thread or explain why you closed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I think this thread should be locked.

It's just going round in circles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm still waiting for a moderator to give a proper explanation for why the thread was closed.
    It was going round in circles.

Gordon wrote: »
    It was going round in circles.

Is that your opinion after having read it or are you just repeating the reason given by oscarbravo when he closed it? If you've read the thread and you believe that it deserved to be closed would you mind explaining in more detail what you mean by going round in circles?

And if the thread was going around in circles, do you know if it's written down in the rules anywhere that threads can be closed for going round in circles?

Someone make a witty diatribe a la sarky or Boston, so I can post my loldogs again.

Someone make a witty diatribe a la sarky or Boston, so I can post my loldogs again.

Why wait?

attachment.php?attachmentid=59446&stc=1&d=1215954805

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Why are you posting these images? Don't you realise how disruptive this is? I don't know what I've done to offend you off but if you're looking for a fight then please look for it elsewhere. I'm not interested.

I don't think you'd like it if someone was doing that in one of your threads so please stop doing it in this thread. I see you're a moderator as well. You're really setting a bad example.

Yay, my first time!

*Gets out mod handbook*

Ahem:

As I am not posting in the forum I mod, I am just a user here, and can act any way I wish, and will also be censured as a normal user if I misbehave.

Did I do that right guys?

loldog-happy-dog-pictures-happy-happy-happy.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The thread was closed because it was becoming repetitious between a small number of people who were not backing their points up and had no intention of ever changing their minds. That thread would still be going 2 years from now and such threads, if they were allowed to gather in clumps would tie up the first page of the forum. We instruct mods to either close such threads, or send them to the thunderdome to allow them unfettered argument. Seems pretty standard.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is that your opinion after having read it or are you just repeating the reason given by oscarbravo when he closed it?

It was going around in circles. Not because I read it or give a crap about OB in particular, but it was a discussion about Immigration, and it started with "Putting Up With Immigrants" - Where did you expect it to go? Disneyland? Buttsecks? Disney presents Buttsecks on Ice?

it had 3 pages to 'go somewhere' and as DeV says it didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

DeVore wrote: »
    The thread was closed because it was becoming repetitious between a small number of people who were not backing their points up and had no intention of ever changing their minds. That thread would still be going 2 years from now and such threads, if they were allowed to gather in clumps would tie up the first page of the forum. We instruct mods to either close such threads, or send them to the thunderdome to allow them unfettered argument. Seems pretty standard.

DeV.

You would say that, being from crypton!

Advertisement