Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Shotgun

• 12-07-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a general purpose shotgun, something like a multi-choke sporter, 28 or 30 inch barrels, in good condition. Willing to spend up to about a grand, maybe a tiny bit more, for something very nice. All offers considered. If anyone's got anything going, or knows anyone who has, if they could respond with pictures that would be perfect. Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IWM,
    You could end up with a mail order bride situation there.:eek:
    Might look good on the paper,talks nice on the video, But is not quite what you expect in the flesh.Best advice is;you have an idea of price,barrel length,and purpose.Half the battle already.Would you not be better off hitting the gunstores by phone,and then taking a trip to view your prospective marrige prospects,whereever they might be?:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly has a point and for the sort of money you have in mind you're drifting into quality with a good few years of use but well looked after sort of territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Exactly. I'm looking to get ideas of what's on the second hand market at the moment. For the record, I've handled a few things and here's what's fit well so far:

Beretta 682 Sporter, fit very nicely, good balance, pricey at 1200 second hand in decent nick.

Browning 325 Sporter, fit as well as the Beretta, found it balanced better, sale has just gone south on one from England due to extortionate shipping.

Webley and Scott 8/900 series Game and Sporter models, fit was okay, balance was actually very good for the price, but just didn't wow me enough to put money down.

So if anyone knows anyone with something like the Browning going, as it felt the best of the above, a notice here would be very welcome, and might be rewarded with a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

marocchi zero 3 in lakelands €1700 new withthe ajustable stock! lovely gun tried one in englad a few weeks ago . have a look here
    http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.php?menu=68&sprache=0&product_id=14 nice gun;)

That is a tasty looking bit of kit, but just a touch rich for my blood I fear. Thanks for the heads-up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

No problem, just thought for 500 more than a second hand beretta. you can get fixed stock version a good bit cheaper.

Hey, with renewals going through at the moment I'm looking to put money on the counter for something fairly soon, so any suggestions of things to look at, or notices of friends selling gear or anything will be considered. I'll spend anything up to about a grand for the right gun, maybe a little more depending what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

would imagine its hard to find someone selling privatly!
    best option is a good gunsmith with a large selection of 2nd hand guns..
    gerry scully in athlone has loads of them...i will be visiting him soon b4 the end of the week i can ask what he has around that price if you like? anything specific you fancy? or is it too far awy from where you live??
    mate of mine has just traded in a moruku 3 or 4 years old good nick a lot of shots fired tru it at clays... not sure of price he would have on it

Nah, not too far. That'd be great, cheers.

I particularly liked the Beretta 682 and the 686 with 28 inch barrels I handled, but top of the pile is a Browning if he happens to have it. Those aren't hard guidelines, just stuff I have found and handled that I liked, so I'd be really glad to hear of anything and everything available. Thanks. :)

ok will sus it out for ya prob over weekend...

• Advertisement

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

The Browning 325 is fine gun bought one a few months back

MRJ wrote: »
    The Browning 325 is fine gun bought one a few months back

Handles better than anything else I've gotten my mitts on, frankly. When you pick it up, it's so well balanced the weight seems to just disappear. Lovely gun.

i picked it up the next day, i traded in a game gun for it was starting to shoot more clays so decided to buy something more suited tried a few beretta's and a marrochi but they did'nt handle as well as the browning.

Where did you find it and how much did it set you back, if you don't own my asking?

30 inch multichoke?

Where did you find it and how much did it set you back, if you don't own my asking?

30 inch multichoke?
    No its a 28 inch sporter was very well minded not a mark on the wood came with 5 chokes 3 triggers all in orignal box and an orignal browning case. paid 1400 with me old yildiz in lakelands.

Sounds lovely. Good buy mate. Hope you drop many clays and birds with it.

Thanks so do i

PM sent to you IWM....

not familiar with the 325?? recently got the 525 gold..early days yet but like it:)....

You have a 525? Very nice. How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking? I've only ever gotten my hands on a 325, but there doesn't seem to be an enormous amount of difference between them.

• Advertisement

got it for 2495euro..... though traded in a winchester for it so that softened the blow:D:D.... was told it was 2700 at 1st....
    32inch barrells and exterior chokes...

Nice one. Hefty barrels, trap gun?

Nice one. Hefty barrels, trap gun?
    no.. sporter got in scullys athlone...got good deal on trade in too...

Ah, good luck with it so. Sounds very nice indeed. How do you find the longer barrels for handling?

had been out of shooting for 9 months due to work accident so was good time to change it.. it is a bit different to the 28in i was used to alright:)...
    and still not that consistant with it but fits very well and hopefully in time will improve further...

have sent you that list IWM hope its of some use to you:D

There's food for thought in it alright. Thank you.

IWM hows the gun hunting going?? here is another place you could try if you already havent,, just seen it in shooters digest

www.IrishGunTrader.ie

I have my ear to the ground north and south of the border, have a few dealers who'll call me if anything comes in, but so far, nada. I keep an eye on IrishGunTrader as well, but cheers for it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi,
    Any interest in a lanber 2082?
    (http://www.lanber.net/ingles/caza.htm), its a 28 inch sporter. Its in near new condition used once or twice a year for the last four years, probably no more than 200 shells through it.
    I also have a safe to go with it.
    nj

Advertisement