Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday 13th of July Spin ... anyone?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi people,

Anyone for a spin tomorrow, maybe a flat-ish route meeting the Phoenix Park at the Papal cross at 10.00

This spin is fully endorced by TinyExplosions by the way. :pac:

2 routes possible - Towards Meath and Kildare or Toward Malahide, along the coast for as far as we want!!!

I guess we can decide when we meet.

Cheers guys ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Would be on for it. I had planned to head from Castleknock to Maynooth via back roads of Leixlip & Carton. Maynooth to Naas via Clane. From Naas could decide to head out further or head back via Celbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Might be on for it.Am only in 10 mins from todays spin(don't ask!).Will post in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This spin is fully endorced by TinyExplosions by the way. :pac:

I endorse nothing! :)

I'm in though. We meeting in the carpark at the cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'm in though. We meeting in the carpark at the cross?

Car park of the cross :) Not up all the way at the cross...

I think ROK ON's spin route can be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sounds good. How about something like this- out to Trim and back by Summerhill and Maynooth?

Note this only involves cycling on the N3 for a stretch of a couple of km after Clonee, I haven't indicated it on the map but the route would go on a quiet road parallel to the N3, through Mulhuddart. The Trim road is a good surface and relatively quiet, it's quite popular with some cycling clubs.

90km, extremely flat, I reckon we could do it under 3 hours.

EDIT: Just saw ROK_ON's route, that would be good too. Either are better than Malahide which is very suburban with lots of traffic and lights etc.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Sounds good. How about something like this- out to Trim and back by Summerhill and Maynooth?

EDIT: Just saw ROK_ON's route, that would be good too. Either are better than Malahide which is very suburban with lots of traffic and lights etc.

I think both routes are good, and we can also stop for a lovely cup of tea somewhere. The N3 can be avoided via Mulhuddart yea.

Now that we know what direction we're going ( towards the flat, I love flat ) I guess we can just meet at the Cross tomorrow and head out!!

90/100k sounds great to me, my bike and my legs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Im in but have to turn around at 11:00

Edit: Can someone stick a marker on google maps to show where we are meeting

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Im in but have to turn around at 11:00

Edit: Can someone stick a marker on google maps to show where we are meeting

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=53.357262,-6.327181&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=53.35757,-6.327696&sspn=0.011577,0.018539&ie=UTF8&ll=53.357493,-6.321731&spn=0.046923,0.12188&z=13

If you know the roundabout between Your President's and the US ambassador's gafs on the main park's road. Take the road toward the US Ambassador's up to the Massive papal cross, there's a parking lot to the right. Don't cycle all the way up to the cross, stay near the front.

Hope this helps ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This Car Park

It's right beside the huge cross, visible from most parts of the park, to the left of the main road if you're heading into the park from the city centre

• Advertisement

Hi folks. Dont mind whether we do my suggested route or the other (Trim) route. However, regardless of the route, I would like to go thru Maynooth first. I have arranged to meet with another newbie to the boards outside the college in Maynooth. Thanks.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi folks. Dont mind whether we do my suggested route or the other (Trim) route. However, regardless of the route, I would like to go thru Maynooth first. I have arranged to meet with another newbie to the boards outside the college in Maynooth. Thanks.
    I don't think this is a problem at all. See you tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

cheers guys. Im usually in the phoenix park doing laps and never really noticed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Yep count me in for this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i am in guys - looking forward to meeting ye all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Is this open to all, or do ye have an official club?

supertramp wrote: »
    Is this open to all, or do ye have an official club?

Just turn up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Just turn up :pac:

That's grand. Hope I don't bring all of ye down with touching wheels, as it's a while since I cycled with a group :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Now,where did I put that sun-tan lotion?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

emty wrote: »
    Now,where did I put that sun-tan lotion?

Don't jinx it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is looking nice all right. But I washed my bike which generally means rain. If I stick my mudguards back on that might do the trick...

Out last night so I'll be taking it easy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Grr stuck at home doing stupid oncall.

14 out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Pretty good! Where did ye go?

I turned off in Maynooth. Having been out half the day yesterday, I was only looking for a short one today and did 50km in the end. When I left, there was talk of Trim and Drogeheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Hi Guys ... It was good meeting you all .... and putting names and/or screen names to the faces.

I was the guy in silver/yellow Lemond Etape.

I had to turn back at Trim .... but the trip back to Clonee took it completely out of me .... never realised how much easier it is to do it as part of a group .... I wasn't even uncomfortable at Trim.

Hope to get out more often on the weekend spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

well i bumped into ye all in Slane. i was the guy who said hello as i was about to get into my car as ye went up the hill after the lights. ye got a good spin in today so!! never expected to see boards jerseys in Slane!!

Hi folks. Had to turn back at Summerhill. Pace was too much for me. I was the guy in skeleton top. Was delighted to keep up for so long, given my fitness. My top speed is ye're low/casual speed - so I have a lot of work to do. In saying that I really enjoyed it. I clocked 56miles door to door in 3hr35mins. I thought that would be about my time. Hope to spend next few months improving that. Anyway, wont be around next week, but definitely up for heading out again with ye in 2 weeks time. Thanks and take it easy.

157km for me. Just home now. Did Pheonix park - Maynooth - Kilcock - Trim - Navan - Slane - Drogheda - Balbrigan - Swords - Home ( that was Tiny, Emty, Ollie, Cadex, Blorg and me. )

3 Punctures: Me, Ollie, Cadex

We had a brilliant stop in Drogheda for some nice tea and a tour of the church and a interresting history lesson.

The last 30km were a bit tough, my legs were a bit tired...

Was great to see everyone again, and for the 1st time for some. Thanks for all of those who turned up :)

Bambaata: I am not sure if I said hello, but I noticed the lads did. We also got 'honked' at in Navan ... the 3 boards beeps ...

Was really a great spin!!! I had a brilliant day.

I need a shower now ( waiting for water to heat up )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

good spin today, great to have the weather smile on us for a change :)

decided to head dublinwise in navan as yesterday was a bit of an epic and i really didn't want to spend all day on the bike again.

the N3 is a bit poo though -still there was three of us so we made decent time.

seems to me that there is a call for a northside based ride, and the backroads of kildare might be a bit more friendly to newcomers that wickla mountains? could become a regular thing perhaps?

Advertisement