Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favorite 2 authors?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

ok,so mine are Neil Gaiman and the second{very hard choice!} is clive cussler{at the mo anyway!:)}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

It would be a very close call between john irving and irvine welsh. Of course they have extremely different styles of writing, but all their books really draw you in and you can't wait to finish them to find out what happens. My favorite Irvine Welsh book is Marabou Stork Nightmares, and my favorite John Irving would have to be The Fourth Hand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think it would have to be Tom Robbins and probably Terry Pratchett (with Neil Gaiman a close third). Favourite of Robbins' books would be "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates". His characters are just so rich and his use of language is amazing!

Neil Gaiman, Frank Herbert and Clive Barker for me, Can't pick two out of the three so I guess all three get a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 minik

Tough one.. Love Jeffrey Archer... Agatha Christie.. Labyrinth by Kate Moss was excellent!!! Anyone have any good book reccommendations???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

minik wrote: »
    Tough one.. Love Jeffrey Archer... Agatha Christie.. Labyrinth by Kate Moss was excellent!!! Anyone have any good book reccommendations???
    yep...neil gaiman:neverwhere was great,but may be an aquired taste.
    you have probably either already read/or despise dan brown,but if hes to your liking,id recommend angels and demons,its a great read.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 minik

No thanks, that's great! Read the da vinci code alright!:) Nothing better than a good book:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My favourite is definitely Michael Connelly, though I haven't enjoyed some of his non-Bosch books as much. John Connolly is up there too. They are the only authors who I would make a point of buying anyway.
    *melanie* wrote:
    ok,so mine are Neil Gaiman and the second{very hard choice!} is clive cussler

I really enjoyed American Gods by Neil Gaiman; one of those books where I was disappointed it was over.

I used to like Clive Cussler as a teenager, but it just got ridiculous after a while. I think I stopped reading his books after he wrote a very self-indulgent cameo for himself in one of them.

There have been a few others over the years, but I've gotten tired of most of them; e.g. Stephen King, Dean R. Koontz, James Patterson, Lee Child.

A common reason for me to stop buying a particular author is that the hero is always that little bit too perfect / suave / invincible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Probably George RR Martin & Arthur C Clarke.

Though Clive Cussler is my guilty pleasure. I'd read 'em all!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lovin the Tom Robbins mention. I adore his writing. Fantastic stuff.
    Oh and Jack Kerouac will always be my number one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Martin, Erikson, tolkien, Bakker, Pratchett.
    Can't make me choose two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Without a doubt my favourite two authors have to be Paulo Coelho and James Patterson ;)

their wouldn't be much between then, vote-wise mind

Advertisement