Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

• 12-07-2008 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,I'm a newbie on the forum in need of assistance please.
    I've been playing COD4 on line for a while now without encountering any problems with my pc running the game.
    However just recently I tried altering my screen resolution in the hope of getting a better perspective of the UAV map in the top left corner of the screen (running the game at 800x600 only shows a fraction of the map).
    Anyway, after changing the resolution to 720x??? and then applying the settings, the screen went from white with vertical lines then faded to blank grey with the game audio still running in the background.
    Last resort would be to uninstall/reinstall the game which would be a bummer as I will lose the profiles(up to 5 stars).:(
    Has anyone experienced similar problems or any ideas on how to get things back to normality with my profiles intact.
    Thanx j22.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Go into graphics options and set Anti-Alising to off.
    This worked for me with cod2.
    But the game are fairly similar in make up so maybe it might help.
    But other than that i'm no genius so i'm sorry if it doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jambo22

Thanks for replying,the problem is I cant access any menus as the grey screen appears as soon as I load up the game.Like I say I have the in-game audio but thats it I'm afraid.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Does it not ask you to play in safe mode when you start up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

If you can't see the screen at all then I can only advise re-installing CoD4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

Just cuz you reinstall doesnt mean you lose all your profile info! make a backup man.:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

lol @ the people telling you to reinstall :D

It's a simple fix, just find your config which is usually at

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles\<PROFILENAME>\"

Open config_mp.cfg in notepad / wordpad and search for the command "r_mode"

When you find it, replace it with:

r_mode "640x480"

or whatever your resolution was before you messed it up and that will set the resolution, which should fix your problem.

Next time you change resolution, make sure your monitor supports it first :)

Forgot about that Kami... Haven't messed around with configs since the CoD1 days!

Very good advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

KamiKazi wrote: »
    "640x480"

Why would you want to run the game at anything else ?? No one actually plays the game for the sparkels do they :confused::confused:

:P .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why would you want to run the game at anything else ?? No one actually plays the game for the sparkels do they :confused::confused:

:P .

er...yes :p

1440x900 <3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

1360X720 for me - the native resolution of my LCD screen.

You should always aim to run LCDs in their native res - it makes for a better viewing experience.

• Advertisement

I'm running in 1680x1024!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jambo22

Thanx to everyone for taking time out to reply.I managed to change the resolution using the unorthodox 'blind man' method.After about an hours worth of screaming at my pc and pulling my hair out,success.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I play at 1280x1024 my monitor's native resolution.

Advertisement