Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl broadband issue?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My story is next: (i dont want to call them til i dont have to)
    so my BB has been installed recently and when it was installed i couldnt try it out because i was in hurry back to work. so when arrived after work i joined the router but no internet at all.
    i checked the router and i have contact (ip+dns etc).
    Since then nothing changed. I had no mail yet from ntl about my services. So is it possible that the BB is not live yet? Should i call them or is it a std issue?
    I have no clue at all whats going on.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A bit more info please. What lights are on on the modem, Are you using a wireless network, if so have you tried going directly from modem to pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 edward2

wireless and wan lights green and power green. there is a check mark blank when i start the router it light up but go off later when wireless go green.
    havent tried direct pc to modem yet. my desktop is quite far from access but i will make a try i think so

Are all the lights on the upc modem.

?
    so i have checked the dns servers what my router set up and no response when i ping it. could be a problem i think so.

edward2 wrote: »
    ?
    so i have checked the dns servers what my router set up and no response when i ping it. could be a problem i think so.

UPC/NTL, would have left you a modem and a router, As you can directly wire to your PC, we need to establish where your problem lies, hence the reason I am asking what lights are on the modem, not the router.

Normally we would ask you to wire direct in from the modem into your pc and then check if you can get on line, then we would know if the problem is with your provider(ntl) in your case or if its with your wireless network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Can you get a cabled connection and get it to connect?
    What is the status of that connection, are you getting an IP address?
    If so is it an 8*.***.***.*** or a 192..... a 169........?

Are you using your own wireless router cabled from the NTL?
    If so what make? Have you gone to the wireless router config page (need a cable maybe to get to this) http://192.168.2.1 for me
    Have you tried taking out the wireless router and cabling directly to the ntl modem to test that the connection is active?
    Can you detect your wireless network when searching for local wireless networks?
    Are there any regular flashing lights on the NTL router, the online light or anything like that?
    Do you have any active firewalls, Zone alarm etc?
    The more details of what u have or havent tried the more people will be able to help.

i connected up directly through the modem with a laptop. borrowed one from my friend 2 minutes ago. same situation. no access. same ip and dns came up on the laptop like on the router. anyway the lights on modem all light up except the phone line because i dont have one.

Can you get a cabled connection and get it to connect?
    What is the status of that connection, are you getting an IP address?
    If so is it an 8*.***.***.*** or a 192..... a 169........?
    -89.101.*.* i dont know now exactly
    Are you using your own wireless router cabled from the NTL?
    If so what make? Have you gone to the wireless router config page (need a cable maybe to get to this) http://192.168.2.1 for me
    Have you tried taking out the wireless router and cabling directly to the ntl modem to test that the connection is active?
    its a netgear router from ntl. i can access config page both wireless and cabled way. direct connection mentioned above.
    Can you detect your wireless network when searching for local wireless networks?
    Are there any regular flashing lights on the NTL router, the online light or anything like that?
    Do you have any active firewalls, Zone alarm etc?
    i can find my network, yes. i have kpf personal, i switched off nothing that way.
    every lights are green except that check mark on the netgear router. i think that should be green too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Go to the stats page http://192.168.100.1/ (when connected direct to the modem) and post details here like below and click the provisioning page post what happening there too. Sounds like your modem is up and running, have you a firewall blocking internet access by any chance

Hardware Version

Receive Power Level
    4.3 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    52.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
    Operational

Vendor
    Scientific Atlanta - A Cisco Company

Boot Revision
    2.1.6lR6

That's a valid IP address alright.
    So U are getting a lease from the ISP which is a good start!

• Advertisement

Have you set your internet explorer to automatically detect settings? Tools, internet options, connections, lan settings?
    So status is clearly connected then. Are packets being sent / received?

sorry guys... i try every tricky solutions except restart modem.... its working now.

If that was me I would have made up some complex problem.
    :pac::):):):):):):)

Advertisement