Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Gotham Knight

Options
  • 12-07-2008 6:48pm
    Moderators Posts: 51,774 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a dvd in the shops called Batman: Gotham Knight. Seems to be a collection of 6 cartoons that bridge the gap between Batman Begins and Dark Knight. Similar to Animatrix and Matrix movies.

The writers of the cartoons are Brian Azzarello, Alan Burnett (Batman the Animated series), Jordan Goldberg, David Goyer (Batman Begins), Josh Olson (A history of violence) and Greg Rucka.

Hadn't heard anything about it. Will try and pick it up in the next few days.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Gotham_Knight

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've just ordered it on Amazon, actually. After the decent quality of Animatrix and Chronicles Of Riddick: Dark Fury, I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Picked it up a couple of weeks ago [best buy are giving it a massive push here] Theres some nice animation in it and Kevin Conroy does the voice of Batman which is great but as a bridge between the two live action movies, I don't know. Its hard to judge until next week when dark knight opens. Right now it is nearly impossible to tell if these six stores are meant to be connected or free-standing until the very end; and the portrayal of the character is not similar to the big screen portrayal in any way whatsoever [based on batman begins that is]

• Moderators Posts: 51,774 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Fysh wrote: »
    I've just ordered it on Amazon, actually. After the decent quality of Animatrix and Chronicles Of Riddick: Dark Fury, I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed. Enjoyed both Animatrix and Dark Fury. The added bonus is this one includes Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya ordered the blu ray version there this week, trailer looks class!

Anyone know where I can get the original animated series??

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »

Hmv are currently selling dvds of the series for about €6, at least the branch in Limerick is. Assume hmv in Dublin would be the same. Play.com and amazon both have the series for sale also.

There are 4 box sets collecting the whole series that you find pretty easily on the likes of amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Didn't realise this was in shops yet, must pick up a copy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ya ordered the blu ray version there this week, trailer looks class!

Dude, leave out the
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

bit, and only put in the
    iXrhcQ7M-K4

so that you get

=-=

Yeah, the DVD rules. They all have different views on the Bat, but all are somehow linked.

ztoical wrote: »
    There are 4 box sets collecting the whole series that you find pretty easily on the likes of amazon.

Don't forget the Mask of the Phantasm and mystery of the Batwoman. Both were straight to dvd movies.

• Advertisement

Silly Me :D

Cool 4 box sets, I'm off to ebay!

Never really got into the Batman Beyond one, way too nice n happy compared to the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I picked up Begins and Gotham Knight on Blu-Ray, so good. Also, HMV are selling Mask of the Phantasm for €6, it's a must-buy at that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had it preordered on play for ages, apparently I'll get a free memory stick with it too!:P
    Really looking forward to this, perhaps even more than the movie! (I have an unhealthy love of the old animated series... The opening sequence is almost erotic to me)

Right lads so animated series:

Batman Original
    Batman Beyond
    Batman .....

And in between there's animated movies/collections

The Dark Knight
    Batman Begins

What are worth it? What am I missing from this list?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Personally I thought the first two seasons of The Batman cartoon were really good (before they introduced Batgirl as the sidekick and changed the tone of it completely).
    This is the one I mean, the one that "The Batman Strikes" comic is based on.

Batman Original
    Batman Beyond
    Batman .....

The Dark Knight
    Batman Begins

Theres Batman: The Animated Series which was renamed The Adventures of Batman & Robin when the creators were forced by head ups to include Robin in every ep cus they said they needed a character kids could relate to. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was an animated feature film based on the animated series. It was released in the cinema in the states but I don't think it was released in the cinema in Ireland [someone correct me if I'm wrong] There was also the direct to dvd film Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero.

This was followed by Superman: The Animated Series which Batman had a few cameos in - its the same animation style as Batman: The Animated Series but really bright as its not set in Gotham and that kinda of annoyed me as the big appeal of the animated batman series was alot of the backgrounds were actually drawn on black paper to make them extra dark and cool looking.

Then we had The New Batman Adventures which featured batman, batgirl [really annoying], Tim Drake as Robin and Nightwing [Ahhh *heart*]. The character design had developed from the earlier show to become much more angular - all the villains were redesigned [Joker was given black eyes and catwoman became just a black shape with white eyes] There was also the direct to dvd film Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman.

There can be some confusion with regards to The New Batman/Superman Adventures - this isn't a different series it just takes eps from superman the animated series and the new batman adventures - it had its own theme song which caused alot of the confusion. Also the ep "Worlds finest" which had batman and superman finding out who the other one was, was original a three part superman ep but was also released as one long ep on dvd which some people thought was another direct to dvd movie.

This was followed by Batman Beyond which I really liked - I thought it was an interesting concept and well designed and animated. There was a direct to dvd movie called Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Then we moved into the whole Justice League / Justice League Unlimited series which I LOVED. JLU has some of the best one liners between Batman and the Flash and theres a great batman beyond cross over ep.

Then we move away from the Bruce Timm series for The Batman which was designed by Jeff Matsuda. I didn't like this series at the start as it looks waaaaaaay to much like Jackie Chan adventures [also designed by Matsuda] but there are actually some good bits of aniamtion in it. Batgirl is really really annoying in this version.

If you want to be anal theres alos Static Shock which had a few batman cameos [voiced by Kevin Conroy] and Teen Titans which one ep had a flashback with a silhouette of batman but not voiced by Kevin Conroy.

Legend!!!!

Legend!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

just finished watching it, very impressive - really enjoyed the animation.
    Would love to see more of these kinda things (animatrix etc) - one to bridge Transformers to Transformers: Rise of the Fallen would be amazing, if they kept to the same high quality of animation.

Oh, the little Bat-USB key that comes with the Play.com version rocks :D

Just finished watching that, and thought it was a bit patchy to be honest. The first three stories had some interesting aspects but weren't all that good (
    the episode with the kids was a cute idea but the animation style was a bit too jarring and dissonant compared to everything that's gone before it; the episode with the two cops avoided the more interesting area of what had happened with Arkham Asylum to go for a paperthin gang-warfare plot, and the episode with the bullet-deflecting shield was great except for the complete cop-out ending
    ). The last 3 episodes were considerably better though, so I'd say overall it's worth a watch. I got it for £8 so I can't really complain. That said, given the standard of the various Batman cartoons over the last few years this didn't quite meet my expectations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Some good, some bad. I like the one with the flashbacks to Bruce training in India and the bullet shield. Also the One with Deadshot was pretty cool. The animation was quite good throughout, though in the one with the four kids, it wasn't great.
    They could have done with knocking off one or two of the episodes and lengthening the remaining ones. The ones with Scarecrow and Deadshot could have been excellent with a bit of padding. Especially the Deadshot episode, I felt the confrontation between him and Batman was over way too quickly.

Got it from play.com and got a memory stick with the Bat logo on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Batman Original
    Batman Beyond
    Batman .....

The Dark Knight
    Batman Begins

Amazon.com are selling each volume of the original series (4-discs in each) for $17.99 each. That's under €16 for each one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=batman+animated&x=0&y=0

There is also a 17-disc collector's set of all four volumes being released in the US in November. It's $108 SRP though!
    The 17-disc set includes all 107 episodes of the series as well as a 40 page Collector's book with artwork from the vaults. The complete series will also include a new special feature, though no specifics were mentioned; you can see the bonus disc on the left-hand side of the image below. All the original bonus material, including commentary tracks and featurettes, will be included on this set. Suggested retail price is $107.92, and it'll be in stores on November 4

BatmanTAS-Complete.jpg

Hmmm, at $1/episode that's a compelling prospect. Plus the weak dollar means it's about £55 for me, which sounds eminently affordable for the full run of one the best cartoon series ever :)

Only question is, of course, whether the buggers will release it over here around the same time or pull the usual nonsense of waiting for ages before releasing the European/R2 version and then wondering how come it gets pirated so much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

:eek:
    That box set has to be one of the sweetest things I've ever seen!
    I already have all the seasons, so buying it again would be crazy, but dog-gone it, its just so purdy :D

@Fysh
    I think its highly unlikely they'd release this ultra amazing box-set on R2 since, as far as I know, only seasons 1 and 2 have been released over here in R2. And NONE of Batman Beyond has been released here in box-set form at all.
    While I'm unsure about this new box-set, all the R1 seasons of Batman the Animated Series (apart from Season 1) and Batman Beyond are region free. Maybe someone else can back me up on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

That boxset is tempting! I don't think the DC animated series DVDs are region-free though, anyone able to confirm or deny this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Do amazon.com ship to Ireland though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Mr. K wrote: »
    That boxset is tempting! I don't think the DC animated series DVDs are region-free though, anyone able to confirm or deny this?

I tend to order most of my Region 1 dvds through DVD Pacific and all of the Warner Brothers dvds I've ordered play on any dvd player, even though they have R1 printed on the back of them. The only exceptions to this have been Season 1 of Batman the Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm, but fortunately both of these are now available on Region 2. But the rest of the DC animated stuff I got (Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, Return of the Joker Uncut, Batman: Subzero, Superman TAS and all series of Justice League) all appear to be region free. I dont know if this is simply a fluke or if its an error that WB might fix at any time, but thats been my experience with them so far.
    I think DVD Pacific are a Canadian company, dunno if that has anything to do with it.......... :confused:
    Creature wrote: »
    Do amazon.com ship to Ireland though?

They do, but like any order from the States, they could very likely be intercepted by the Revenue here and you could get charged VAT and duties ontop of your order. Its only happened to me once, but it stung all the same! :mad:

They do, but like any order from the States, they could very likely be intercepted by the Revenue here and you could get charged VAT and duties ontop of your order. Its only happened to me once, but it stung all the same! :mad:

I have been caught a few times. The limit is €22, but you usually get away with more than that. However, this boxset would attract attention!! I believe that the limit is being raised to €120 sometime in December, so it'd be better to wait til then.

Has anyone seen Gotham Knight DVD for rental? I've checked Xtravision and Chartbusters near me, but they don't have it. I am not interested in blind buying it.

More details on the BTAS boxset:

BatmanTAS_Comp_rear1.jpg

BatmanTAS_Comp_rear2.jpg

BatmanTAS_Comp_rear3.jpg

BatmanTAS_Comp_rear4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I got the dvd yesterday easy to say it was a big let down !
    the only good one was the first on made by the first one which i think was directed by michael arias the man who made tekon kinkurito if not ! well then it ripped it off :p the one the scare crow looked pritty cool tho.

There was no flow to it , it just seemed like a load of batman skits i found it was all very pointless.
    It just didnt get me excited hmm let down.

Advertisement