Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omni-plex vs The Eye

Options
  • 12-07-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I think I already know the answer to this but Im interested in peoples opinions

Which cinema do you prefer, Omni-plex or The Eye?

Im going with eye cinema
    -Seats are more comfortable
    -Nicer staff
    -More choice of food
    -less "Fanta filled fcukers" & Scumbags

However, Leg space is an issue for long legged creature such as myself, I find myself crossing my legs every 10 mins. I can't rest my legs normally as id be knocking knees with the patron beside me. I could swear the Omni has better leg room or maybe its just me.
    The Eye also said they were gonna have classic films shown when they opened (classic as in the likes of Terminator 2). Alas, they never delivered

Im about 5mins walking distance from the Eye, but even if I was 5 mins from the Omni, id still go to the Eye

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Eye is a good 45 minute's walk from me, as opposed to the Omniplex being about 20 minutes away, but I prefer the Eye. I find the seats far more comfortable (the ones in the Omniplex always feel to me like they're broken or coming loose from the ground) and the sound is better (I always come out of the Omniplex feeling slightly deafened, but the Eye's sound never bothers me at all). And if you're feeling a bit rich, screen 7 in the Eye is plenty luxurious.

Also i prefer Ben&Jerry's to Haagen Das, but that's just nit-picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Eye is def nicer but omniplex for me entirely by virtue of location. I live in city center as do most of my mates, so it's closer to walk to. Plus it's easier to have a few pints or eat before/after the movie with the omniplex. There's really nothing near the eye cinema besides the huntsman and eddie rockets. Which surprises me a good bit honestly - I think that side of the city could do with a bit more of a pub stretch of it's own (ala salthill).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The one in Oranmore beats them all!

Am I right in saying the adult ticket in the omniplex is cheaper than the eye and the childs ticket is cheaper in the eye than in the omniplex?! And they only sell PEPSI in the eye? No COCA COLA? I mean, quelle the fudge?!

I turned 19 last friday, went to the eye on sunday and I got in on a child's ticket! I get children's tickets in the omniplex too! Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Ruby tuesday.

Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

The Eye
    Simply because of the bar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

mars bar wrote: »
    The one in Oranmore beats them all!

Am I right in saying the adult ticket in the omniplex is cheaper than the eye and the childs ticket is cheaper in the eye than in the omniplex?! And they only sell PEPSI in the eye? No COCA COLA? I mean, quelle the fudge?!

I turned 19 last friday, went to the eye on sunday and I got in on a child's ticket! I get children's tickets in the omniplex too! Brilliant!

Bah! I forgot about that one. Tbh ive never been to it, but some day soon ill see what its like.
    The eye upped their prices a few months back, but I think they are still a bit cheaper. Adult ticket is something like 8/9 euro and student is 6.50 (Ruby tuesday: 4 euro). Whats onmiplex charging?
    The Eye
    Simply because of the bar!

I always thought it was a bit on the pricey side. Its not often you see people buying drink there either, usually just sitting around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Much prefer the Eye. My car got broken into at the Omniplex before and the floors are kinda sticky there. The Luxury Cinema in the Eye is nice, plenty leg room, and it makes you look like fcuking Rockefeller if you're trying to impress somebody.

I dont like Oranmore because its in Oranmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Ive not been to the Omniplex one yet......have been to the eye twice now....like it so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

meh, they're both as good as the film you watch there

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

the eye all the way!!!
    i went into oranmore recently and the cinema wasn't even clean from the previous showing....popcorn and **** all over the place....disgusting!!....boycottted the headford rd omniplex since they refused student prices!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

DRakE wrote: »

Dead on. It's all about the film. The eye is spiffier but I'm not too bothered. Off the cuff I'd go to the eye but really whichever was closer and had the right film at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

DRakE wrote: »
    QFT, i try to go quieter times too when i can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't go to the cinema anymore. €7+ just for entry and then there are the extorionate pricey snacks!

I miss the Claddagh Palace though, that was a real cinema experience

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No real preference, i'd go to either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ease of parking makes the eye a way more pleasant experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

the seats in the eye are comfy but i hate the drink holders.. if i remember right anyway. they hang too low at the front.

im omniplex all the way, i live next to it and think its comfy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

I'm eye all the way as the OP has mentioned I mostly avoid the omniplex due to the fanta filled f*ckers and scumbags... When I'm watching a film I wana watch it not listen to some asshole on the phone. For this alone the eye is worth the walk out from town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Louise~ wrote: »
    I'm eye all the way as the OP has mentioned I mostly avoid the omniplex due to the fanta filled f*ckers and scumbags... When I'm watching a film I wana watch it not listen to some asshole on the phone.

Yeah, I've noticd that alot in the Omniplex. Once I was at a film and there were about 4 groups of young teens around the cinema. They were constantly talking, shouting, running from seat to seat, running to the front with eachother to get it on, running back to their friends to giggle about it... Are there no teeny discos in Galway? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

turf wrote: »
    the seats in the eye are comfy but i hate the drink holders.. if i remember right anyway. they hang too low at the front.

Yeah I hate that too! Especially when the people each side of ya are 6"3 and 6"4, they squish your drink with their legs open and you can't get it out without hitting them!

Krieg: It's 9.25 for an adult ticket! Madness!
    What happened to the day where you could go to the cinema and get popcorn and coke for under £10?

I think I prefer the eye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Eye by a mile. Better prices - they offer, aside from normal prices, early prices, student prices, student tuesday, etc. The Omniplex Student price is Mon-Thur for god sake, and used to even be cheeky enough to include 'before 5' when everyone's actually at college.

Not to mention the Eye is simply a nicer, more comfortable cinema and devoid of the roaming gangs of knackers that frequent the Omniplex at times. I go to the Eye at least once a week, often twice....have been to the Omniplex maybe three times the past two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I remember when i went to see The Departed in the Eye i had to ask the usher if the sound could be turned down a bit as it was so loud and edgy.He comes back a few minutes later and says it was done :confused: It was like having glass torn across your ear drums, the distortion and whatever tool EQ'ed the sound must have been deaf.I had the same experience a few weeks later at another flick in the same screen :(, note to Eye don't employ cloth ears on your audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

snubbleste wrote: »
    I miss the Claddagh Palace though, that was a real cinema experience

That brings back memories ! Queuing in the rain for the late show, with Terry the busker singing "Spancel Hill!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Eye would be my preference though I have stiff knees by the end as leg room isnt the greatest if your over 6'. Oranmore comes a close second mainly cause its usually really quiet and you dont get the mad teens running around (though that may depend on the film i guess), never had a problem there with it being dirty as as other poster mentioned (or with it being in oranmore!)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

4 euro for a kiddie meal in the eye (a small popcorn and drink) whereas its 6.70 or somesuch in the omniplex. Big difference methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The ease of parking makes the eye a way more pleasant experience.

+1 even on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

My vote would be for the Eye - have only been to two cinema's in Galway, with the other being the one in Oranmore, which was a pretty depressing experience ; expensive, less than straight forward parking/getting out, and generally a bit of a perceived knifey-knifey buzz from the youf's ;)

In saying that, I only go to the Eye Mon-thurs as its that bit cheaper (too pricey for me at the weekends), and food-wise I find the popcorn is rarely anything other than a bit stale and gick. The Ben and Jerry's counter is nice though, and pretty good for value compared to the other concession stand stuff - although if I remember right the Ben and Jerry's counter only opens after 5.30pm or something like that?

Staff are usually pretty friendly, and I never really have an issue with the leg room (we always try to sit in the first three rows that are seperate from the main "block" of seating...its not ideal being close to the screen, but I find the seating very very comfy.

Parking is a doddle and never an issue

lampsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

how much is a pint of guinness in the eye, does anyone know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

EYE all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

how much is a pint of guinness in the eye, does anyone know??

Don't serve guinness afaik

Its all laa-dee-daa beers (tiger etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Student tuesday in the eye and the fact it accepts student ID on a sunday night when compared to the omniplex in oranmore and im guessing the one in the city centre is the same?

Advertisement