Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groody VS Brookfield???

Options
  • 12-07-2008 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm looking for accommodation for next year. I'm sick of the dodgy off-campus houses, but think Drumroe etc are too crowded. Looks like I'm left with Groody or Brookefield at this stage. What are the main differences? Anybody have any good recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Very quick reply
    Brookfield has a bus to campus, Groody doesn't
    Brookfield has a stupid laundrette
    There's always the Courtyard behind Brookfield (interwebs there has its ports unlocked now too but throttled) It share the bus with brookfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I would go with Courtyard as well. From what I gather, Groody is a lot more expensive than the others.

I lived in Brookfield on two different occasions and didn't like hated it. I won't go into the nitty gritty but I find all the staff to be extremely rude and incompetent. The most recent example is I moved out during the 2nd last week of May and only just had my deposit returned to me now - 7 weeks later. The service is just incredibly poor and should you have a complaint or problem be prepared for the staff to turn from very friendly to rude and insolent. They won't deal with your problem either, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

If you're picking from Brookfield or Groody, I'd pick Brookfield. Groody doesn't seem like the nicest place, and there's the bus, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lainey-dee

I wanted to go with the Courtyard, but just found out it's full since May. Unfortunately, their policy seems to be to continue to advertise places on their website even when they're full. Doesn't make sense to me anyway! :mad:

It seems both are bad from what you guys are saying. Any other suggestions? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Groody is a nice spot but to say the people who run it are complete pricks is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Ah, yer one in reception there isn't too bad. I found Groody okay when I was living there - nice big room with ensuite, good choice of TV stations and dependable internet (unlike on-campus villages). Shame they stuck me in with a load of tossers. :pac:

Friend of mine who stayed in Brookfield once hated the place. Never been there myself, my only personal encounter with it so far is going in once to ask about summer rates, and I found the reception staff to be totally unhelpful.

I'm actually thinking of going back to Groody next year, if they've space. One thing, though, does anyone know the ports there are closed to make gaming online with XBox/PS3 impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

hi all , i have just accepted my place in ul doing econmoics and sociology. Im 22 and have just been working etc for the past few years... i have a place in plassey booked but am starting to think am i going to be the only person over 18 in the village? and reasurances or suggestions of other decent places to stay would be a great help. Im making the long trip from cork and will be a complete lorolleyes.gifner on arrival so wud like some place with a social contacting....... thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Curragh Birín is alright for an actual house too.

a2dg wrote: »
    hi all , i have just accepted my place in ul doing econmoics and sociology. Im 22 and have just been working etc for the past few years... i have a place in plassey booked but am starting to think am i going to be the only person over 18 in the village? and reasurances or suggestions of other decent places to stay would be a great help. Im making the long trip from cork and will be a complete lorolleyes.gifner on arrival so wud like some place with a social contacting....... thanks again

22 isn't old....just get twisted and integrate with everyone else....Plassey is where I would have lived in forst year if I was living on campus, the rest are too dull and boring. Plus everyone's gonna think it's cool to have a 22 year old in the house to torment with age jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

In terms of broadband does the courtyard and brookfield have completely unblocked internet? torrents etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

ya sopose ur right , just i have a sis who is 18 and she wrecks my head! might just be her and her buddies tough...thank god she's off to ucc:)

a2dg wrote: »
    ya sopose ur right , just i have a sis who is 18 and she wrecks my head! might just be her and her buddies tough...thank god she's off to ucc:)

Ooo a sister.

cson, Mossin over here *waves arms in the air*.

Do tell us more....will she be visiting for RAG week:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 divad

The Polski security guard is a bit of a dick and the fridges are crap in groody, there Sky sport and movie on the tv though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ninty9er wrote: »
    Ooo a sister.

cson, Mossin over here *waves arms in the air*.

Do tell us more....will she be visiting for RAG week:D:D:D

*Pant pant*

I got here as fast as I could...whats this about a woman? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

1huge1 wrote: »
    In terms of broadband does the courtyard and brookfield have completely unblocked internet? torrents etc

nope. and no way of playing any other associated things (xbox, pc games etc)

only way to DL things is rapidshare/Megaupload etc... Networks are crap enough there too caus nobody shares much + i couldnt figure out vistas sharing so wasnt able to help :P
    Brookfield DL speed with these though is about 600kb/s on good days so its not bad ;)

About the original question:

Brookfield is Quieter, whether u consider this good/bad :P
    Less Run down - some of places in groody are in bits! mouldy etc!
    Bus in brookfield, ~every 30 mins.
    im sure u can find someone in ur course with a car in the locality in groody either though if u go into college that is :P

Groody has better channels on tv though, 1x sky movies channel i think and sky sports xtra or something.

There are more people in groody houses too (6 ppl generally)
    Brookfield is 2,3 or 4 person apartments - know less people

but as someone said above u could be with 5 tossers which is much worse than 1 tosser in a 2 person place ;)

On the whole id say if you want quiet (1-2nites a week) go to brookfield. if you want 3-4 nites out a week - groody.
    or if u have mad friends -either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Right well I got the courtyard which apparently is very like brookfield when it comes to facilities so it sounds good, got put in with 3 other 1st years, another guy and 2 girls.

Shame about the internet but i'll manage after only having dial up...
    I hear Plassey is the best place for first years but also that the Courtyard is suppoed to be savage aswel.. Hope theres loads of parties etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

1huge1 wrote: »

Shame about the internet but i'll manage after only having dial up...

Its throttled to about 60k up and 20k down for each user. Ports are all unblocked so you'll get steam etc working, even online games are playable at weekends.
    Hope theres loads of parties etc
    Thats one of the reasons I moved out...:mad:
    bloody noisy students.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

All I know is that they're both fooking ages away from Kilmurry and the college itself. Its a long walk of shame of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

cson wrote: »
    ts a long walk of shame of home.

Especially after shifting something you can't lift :p:D;)

Hey its better than nothing.

Quarter to two rule; anything goes. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Hey its better than nothing.

Quarter to two rule; anything goes. :cool:

Those cattle near the 24hr better watch themselves so.

Hey, sure I come from Galway > "Where the men are proud, and the sheep are nervous"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hey, sure I come from Galway > "Where the men are proud, and the sheep are nervous"

Is that why you all wear button fly jeans up there? Sheep can hear zippers a mile off, or so I'm told.

Nah, trackie bottoms ftw. :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Nah, trackie bottoms ftw. :eek:

Never had you down as a cream cracker cson :pac:

Advertisement