Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance, Registered Owner.

Options
  • 12-07-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭

HI all, can you please give me advice on this...

My mum and her hubby are after getting a new car. It is my mums car, and the only insurance policy has my mum as the main driver, with myself and the hubby as named drivers. However, the car itself is registered in the husbands name.

Does the insurance policy on the car have to be in the name of the registered owner or is it ok as it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Many insurance companies insist on the policy holder being the registered owner. Some will demand to see the VRC before issuing a policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I asked this question when renewing with the AA recently. I was told that husband/wife registered owner was fine as both were recognised as the same.

So if the husband is the registered owner, the wife is ok to insure it in her name. Like everything else, if unsure, ring the insurance company and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on the insurance company in question really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I asked this question when renewing with the AA recently. I was told that husband/wife registered owner was fine as both were recognised as the same.

So if the husband is the registered owner, the wife is ok to insure it in her name. Like everything else, if unsure, ring the insurance company and ask them.

Generaly its taken the policy holder and the registered owner should be the same .The exception to this if its on an insured and spouse basis the car can be registered in either name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

yep only case where insured is allowed to not be the registered owner is husband and wife

• Advertisement
Advertisement