Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT re-test question

Options
  • 12-07-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have to bring my car back for a re test next week. One of the things it failed on was a worn back tyre. If I just put the spare wheel on where it was worn will that be enough to pass?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes as long as the spare is the same width/profile as the one on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kbannon wrote: »
    Yes as long as the spare is the same width/profile as the one on the other side!

WOW! :eek:

Does that mean to say that you can pass an NCT with a worn spare? Is the spare not checked in an NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote: »
    WOW! :eek:

Does that mean to say that you can pass an NCT with a worn spare? Is the spare not checked in an NCT?

No. In fairness this has come up loads of times here. Sure not all cars come with spares, how can you fail for somethign that doesnt come with he car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

because its a retest they will only check what previously failed, ie only check the tyre that failed. theres no recheck on everything........

minxie1 wrote: »
    because its a retest they will only check what previously failed, ie only check the tyre that failed. theres no recheck on everything........

Ah - I see what you mean. A loophole of sorts....

• Advertisement

;)

So if you get a puncture 3m outside the NCT centre, you can put on a slick in the lashing rain and drive on.........? True, but Irish, unfortunately.

So if you get a puncture 3m outside the NCT centre, you can put on a slick in the lashing rain and drive on.........? True, but Irish, unfortunately.

Well in fairness if your driving around with a slick for a spare your an idiot and will probably scrimp on as much as possible anyway. Theres only so much you can do to force people to be responsible. Idiocy will find a way regardless.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well in fairness if your driving around with a slick for a spare your an idiot and will probably scrimp on as much as possible anyway. Theres only so much you can do to force people to be responsible. Idiocy will find a way regardless.

So true!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

minxie1 wrote: »
    AFAIK if they see something that justifies a failure but not part of the re-test then they can fail you again.
    Its not a loophole as the spare tyre is only checked to see that it is secure.

• Advertisement

Surely it should be checked to ensure that it's legal......?.........No?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Spare is only part of the test if it's a public service vehicle.

Another omission from the NCT that surprises many people is reversing lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

BrianD3 wrote: »

i never knew that!!! blimey, isnt a mad country we are living in!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Slightly OT guys, (or maybe not) but i'm getting my motor NCT'd this Tuesday. If it fails, how quickly can i get a re-test scheduled, as i have my driving test in 2 1/2 weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BrianD3 wrote: »

Because neither of these is a legal requirement, simple really.

Advertisement