If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More AV receiver help please?

• 12-07-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Am looking to combine the Onkyo TXSR606 with the Kef KHT2005.2 speaker set. This is for a room that serves mainly as the living room but I have a pull down projector screen at one end that essentially covers that wall.

I'm looking to do the following;

inputs
    PS3 - HDMI - AV Receiver
    Xbox 360 - HDMI - AV Receiver
    Sky+HD - HDMI - AV Receiver
    Wii - Component - AV Receiver

outputs
    AV Receiver - HDMI - 37" 1080p LCD (make undecided)
    AV Receiver - Component - InFocus IN76 720p to 80" Screen

Now AV Receivers have come a long way since I've been looking so at risk of sounding like an idiot I just want to make sure the Onkyo 606 will do all of the above. The ports seem to be there but can I happily input component (Wii) and output HDMI (lcd)? Can I input HDMI (say a blu-ray from PS3) and output to the projector via Component?

Ideally I'd like to stay with HDMI for everything but the Wii doesn't do it and there seems to only be one HDMI output on the AV Receiver. Would it be possible (or advisable?) to put a HDMI switcher on the single output to feed both lcd and projector or would I be better off sticking with whats described above.

I'm on a budget and I have to keep the room more like a living room than a home cinema so there's limits to what I can do but would appreciate any advise if the above sounds reasonable or not. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

The onkyo 606 is getting rave reviews across the board and at that price is by far the best spec'd amp about. I dont care for its looks myself and ive read it runs very hot. Reading other forums indicates new offerings are on the way from Denon and Yamaha which will be pitched to compete with the Onkyo. I believe What hifi have a reviews of all amps in this bracket coming up next month so it might be worth reading that before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Thanks for that. I'm not in a hurry but would like to make a purchase in the next month or so. Looking at a hdmi splitter now per my output query above.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

I cant help you with that one im afraid. I would recommend registering on AVforums and asking that question there. Its full of people who seem to do nothing but tinker with AV gear.

Cheers, might just do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

looking at the specs,

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/product_en_2008_5935286.html

looks like you can run your hdmi/component devices into the amp and then one hdmi out of the amp into your tv. To feed both tv/project you'd need some sort of hdmi splitter. The cheap ones you see knocking around on ebay only join hdmi in.

It wont send video signals coming in on hdmi out over component. Or else that would go against having hdcp (if it ever gets enabled)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, what about something like this? I didn't buy that one by the way but it looks like exactly what I need plus room to run another two outputs should I ever need them.

Bluehair wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, what about something like this? I didn't buy that one by the way but it looks like exactly what I need plus room to run another two outputs should I ever need them.

yup, looks good. a good bit more expensive than a switcher.

syboit wrote: »
    yup, looks good. a good bit more expensive than a switcher.

Brilliant, no point skimping on the last bit of equip anyway I feel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

hit and miss with ebay stuff I would recommend an Oppo HM31 for around 99 euros http://www.opposhop.com/en/article/42/oppo_hm_31_advanced_3x1_hdmi_switch

I'm using it with my Onkyo 605 and its fantastic, it auto-switches and it outputs the full HD soundtrack through to the amp some other switchers don't, I did my research on it and happy I went for it it will auto switch between whatever HDMI device is on and if you have more then one on there is a small remote to switch to which of the sources you require.

hit and miss with ebay stuff I would recommend an Oppo HM31 for around 99 euros http://www.opposhop.com/en/article/42/oppo_hm_31_advanced_3x1_hdmi_switch

I'm using it with my Onkyo 605 and its fantastic, it auto-switches and it outputs the full HD soundtrack through to the amp some other switchers don't, I did my research on it and happy I went for it it will auto switch between whatever HDMI device is on and if you have more then one on there is a small remote to switch to which of the sources you require.

Definitely, if you need more hdmi ports no point in skimping at the last hurdle though. Like loads of people who buy expensive amps and then skimp on the cable.
    That switcher wont give the op what he wants though, dual hdmi out of the amp.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.