Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to setup boot from USB key to update BIOS?

• 12-07-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I want to update the BIOS on my Abit F-I90HD motherboard as speeds on USB data transfers seem to be very slow (I don't think it's running at USB 2.0 speeds even though it's enabled in the BIOS. They're listed asStandard OpenHCD USB Controller in Device Manager, no reference to high speed).

I'm running Vista Ultimate and don't have a floppy drive so was hoping to install the BIOS update I downloaded from abit.com by using a USB key. When I right-click the drive and select Format, the 'Create MS-DOS startup disk' option is greyed out.

I've copied the files to the USB key and set USB-FDD as first boot priority in the BIOS but it's not booting to the key so I can't run the .bat file to install the BIOS update.

Is it possible to update the BIOS this way? Likewise, any tips that might help improve the slow USB data transfer are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Do you have a writeable CD drive ? MagicISO gives you the option to create a bootable disc - it seems your problem is you have the files on your thumb drive but it doesnt have the files necessary to boot from ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks Nessy, I do have a CD burner and I have MagicISO but I can't figure out how to create a bootable CD. I've looked at the Help files and Tutorials online but it seems you need to give it some bootable files and once those are added you can then add your actual data files that you want to execute once booted.

My problem is I'm not sure where to find the bootable files, any ideas? I'm using Vista Ultimate and have the DVDs if necessary.

Actually , I've just had a look on Abit's website and you dont need to bother with any of the above . You can download the latest version of their Flashmenu http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_utility_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Utility&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=Fatal1ty+F-I90HD&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

When that's installed ok you can begin the BIOS flash within Windows . More info here but the download links are for earlier versions of the software which you should avoid .. http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/flashmenu.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks nessyquin - that worked a treat!

I now get an error at startup before the OS loads - 'CPU has changed and is not workable' or something like that. Pressing F1 allows it to continue so I can work around it but it's not ideal.

I no longer have the USB external hard-drive I had a lend of so can't really test if it's now working at USB 2.0 speeds, but I've done everything I can think of to fix it in terms of BIOS and mobo driver updates so fingers crossed it's sorted!

You probably just need to update your CMOS - that's pretty much par for the course after a BIOS flash . Hit Delete or F2 or the appropriate key on reboot to get into BIOS and set the CMOS there .

• Advertisement
Advertisement