Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushnell elite 1500 rangefinder

Options
  • 12-07-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

was wondering if anyone has one, and are they useful in low light and darkness. Are their abilities hindered in darkness. I would really appreciate any type of infomation in relation to rangefinders. Recommendations etc. cheers :) prices also seem to vary very much so. online seems to be way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I think they need to be used with a lamp in comlete darkness. Also the "reflectiveness" of the target must be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've two range finders, a Nikkon ProStaff 440 laser and a Leica CRF 900. They're worlds apart. The Nikkon is fine for daytime but it's really too dark for dawn/dusk or lamping. The Leica is excellent, full stop really.

Went for a bit of a drive to a gunshop I like last Tuesday. Just happened to see a CRF 1200 there, 750 Euro, I'm presuming - going on American prices - the CRF 900 would be 650 Euro. Lot of money.

I picked up mine, genuine and new for 280 Euro :D If that's in your price range PM me and I'll pass on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I thought they worked better in darkness than they did in broad daylight!!

I've a Bushnell yardage pro 1000 and its excellent.
    Pity the display is not illuminated in the dark though. It would have
    been nice to get a model that was backlit.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    I thought they worked better in darkness than they did in broad daylight!!

You are joking aren't you? :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

if you are buying a rangefinder then leica is the job. had a bushnell and sent it back. buy a leica lrf 1200 scan. the scan bit means you can hold down the button and get continuous readings on a moving animal also comes in handy with the shakes (buck fever/hangover).

i used to use mine when lamping and it worked fine but realisticly foxs are shot at 100-200 yards with 260- 270 yards being a long shot (i have shot them further but it aint safe) With a flat (swift, 22-250, 243) shooting rifle you dont need range finder. just get to know your round and your scope.
    long shots on rabbits at day time is a different story a rangefinder is indispensible here.

you should get a leica 1200 scan for around six hundred im just after selling one for four. if a range finders max operating range says 1200 hundred they will work that far in perfect conditions on a reflective target. If it says 1200 yards then expect 900yards on average. the leica lrf can be switched to yards or metres which ever you wish. I would consider swarovski if i had more money. the one thing the leica wont do is take account of the ballistic distance due to a slope.

The zeis range finding scope would be worth considering but can only be used on one gun.

the ultimate for stalking are the leica geovids a binocular range finder i love mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Lads, It seems like I'm going to be purchasing a leica. Going on all the information i got from you guys. Thanks for all the replys again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

kay 9 you wont be sorry! best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

johngalway wrote: »
    You are joking aren't you? :D:D:D:D

Nope I'm not joking.
    The Less light there is eg: Dull Day inreases the effective range
    as there is less other light interference.
    very sunny days decreases the effective range.
    (As long as the target your trying to range is good enough to reflect the laser pulse)

It even mentions they work better on dull days on the manual for my one:
    http://www.bushnell.com/customer_service/manuals/rangefinders/20-0602_Yp_IM.pdf

~B

Erm, darkness and a dull day are a bit different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Erm, darkness and a dull day are a bit different though.

Is this from practical experience John because in theory what bullets is saying is spot on.

Obviously its harder to see a target to range at night but the sensor would be at its most sensitive with less interference from other sources I would suspect

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: :D I give up :D

:rolleyes: :D I give up :D

Don't mind me John, if the point is obvious I'd miss it, if there's sarcasm it'll pass me by and I was once convinced the word gullible is not in the dictionary.

Sadly the last bit is a true story

Vegeta wrote: »
    Don't mind me John, if the point is obvious I'd miss it, if there's sarcasm it'll pass me by and I was once convinced the word gullible is not in the dictionary.

Sadly the last bit is a true story

I was once got by that also :o I wonder was it the same person :D

I was once got by that also :o I wonder was it the same person :D

I'll bet it was a woman, nothing brings out the stupid in a man like one of them.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'll bet it was a woman, nothing brings out the stupid in a man like one of them.

Yep, was she a blonde? I can't see how this will get less embaressing lol.

I can't see how this will get less embaressing lol.

Ah I make a tit of myself often enough to have grown a thick skin at this stage. I am just too honest and trusting for my own good.

Advertisement