Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electricity Usage per day

• 12-07-2008 11:04pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So given the price hike with the ESB on August 1st of 17.5% I'm curious what everyone's usage is like

Mine seems to be avg 6.00-8.00kWh a day depending on what we;re doing and about 1.40c a day costs based on efergy stats (if I have it configured correctly that is)

I have pretty much all lights as energy saving and nothing on standby when not in use,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zeddicus80

Hi Cabaal,

Apart from using the low energy light bulbs - you can tackle appliances left on standby. Approximately 20% of the electricity is wasted on appliances left on standby (according to Power of One) - so switching them off could save you between €50-60 a year. If you don't like switching them off on the sockets there are numerouse kits available to shut them down remotely (http://csps.ie/product_offer/energy_management_solution/domestic/).

Other than that, get yourself a wind turbine. Other than that - there isn't much you can do to reduce your electricity bill.

Hope I could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have a "Current Cost" unit in the house and according to it, we use approximately 4.5-5KWhr per day. We use a bit more at the weekend, averaging up to 6KWhr because of the tumble dryer on for a wee while and we're also in the house a bit more.

Nothing is ever left in standby and most of the bulbs are now CFLs.
    I need to look at the chandelier in the hall though because the bulbs in it aren't energy efficient. However, it's rarely on so it's not a major concern.
    No dishwasher either so that certainly helps. Interestingly, now that the weather is colder and we have the boiler on for the heating, the electricity consumption will go up because of the pump in the boiler.
    I reckon we'll probably jump up to 6-7KWhr for the winter, particularly because the lights will be on more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

emm the dishwasher is actually the only white appliance that is more efficent than doing it yourself..

the oumo uses very little amount of electricity and it only heats the exact amount of water as well as using the exact amount of water needed.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/08/dishwasher_vs_h.php

ted1 wrote: »
    emm the dishwasher is actually the only white appliance that is more efficent than doing it yourself..

the oumo uses very little amount of electricity and it only heats the exact amount of water as well as using the exact amount of water needed.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/08/dishwasher_vs_h.php

TBH a lot of the waste comes from the drying cycles of some dishwashers.
    If the dishes are just left to stand dry, then not too much energy is wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I keep a spreadsheet of my ESB bills and in the 12 months to the end of September, I averaged 10.26kWh per day.

I'm in an apartment so this includes all heating (stotage heaters).

Are other posters getting a gas bill too? Or buying solid fuel or home heating oil?

• Advertisement

I have gas central heating. The bills vary an awful lot from pretty much next to nothing in the summer to a whopper for the period between December and February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Current ESB Bill:
    8919 7916E 1003x €0.1597 Gen units 160.18
    57 Days @ €0.2520/day Standing charge 14.36
    Vat@ 13.5% on 174.54 23.56
    total 198.10

Too much to be paying? I also have gas fired water and central heating

Should i invest in one of those wattson meters or similar?

Current ESB Bill:
    8919 7916E 1003x €0.1597 Gen units 160.18
    57 Days @ €0.2520/day Standing charge 14.36
    Vat@ 13.5% on 174.54 23.56
    total 198.10

Too much to be paying? I also have gas fired water and central heating

Should i invest in one of those wattson meters or similar?

How big is the house? How many people occupy it?
    Do you have children? Are they teenagers?
    In my opinion it's far too much for a bi-monthly bill but then again, there's only two of us in my house and we're working all day so the electricity/gas are only consumed for a few hours every day.
    Also, one of your numbers is an estimate. That makes it harder to get an exact figure for your energy consumption.
    The Wattson is fairly expensive for what it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

3 bed duplex appartment. just the two of us here. Waher dryer goes a lot and there is a dehumidifier downstairs that drys the rest of the clothes. 1 pc going all day. lots of 55w spotlights. 8 in this room alone!

8 55w lights - 440w in total - to light one room.
    If they're on 6 hours a day: 2640w used - 2.4kw
    Over two months that's 144kw. That's just for one room!!!!
    A laptop won't use too much but if it's a desktop you're looking at somewhere between 200 and 400w being constantly consumed if it's left on and doesn't hibernate or power down.
    Your main consumer is the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

esb.ie has a good appliance calculator

Big for domestic energy:
    1. Tumble dryer
    2. fridge (24-7) 150 - 300 watts
    3. immersion
    4. electric shower
    5. incandescent Lights - particularily spotlights
    6. Standby.

I'm at 7kWh/ day annually 5 in summer about 8 in winter.
    2 people, 1 working from home 50% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

Averaging over the year at 5.5kWh per day for a family of four. This excludes all space heating and water heating though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

esb.ie has a good appliance calculator

Big for domestic energy:
    1. Tumble dryer
    2. fridge (24-7) 150 - 300 watts
    3. immersion
    4. electric shower
    5. incandescent Lights - particularily spotlights
    6. Standby.

I'm at 7kWh/ day annually 5 in summer about 8 in winter.
    2 people, 1 working from home 50% of the time.

what would you average ESB bill be?

Advertisement