Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever grow Rose - Gertrude Jekyll

Options
  • 12-07-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi there, was at Powerscourt recently and came across a deep pink rose with a stunning scent, you could drink it! After some surfing I think the rose in question is Gertrude Jekyll. It's a David Austin rose.

Now, in the border it was in it was in stunning condition - but surfing on it says it's quite prone to disease. I'd love to have it in my garden but really haven't the time for tons of maintenance (I have a few other low maintenance roses in my garden which are thriving but I won't spray for blackspot etc regularly so avoid those prone to it).

Has anyone grown it? Is it really as disease prone as some of the websites claim?

Would appreciate anyone's viewpoints. I believe if it's in the right spot it will flower from May to December so I'd love to have it.

Thanks

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I've grown it for years and I have to say it is worth the effort, I grow it as a climber as it is inclined to be a bit leggy. I've never found it particularly disease prone but it can be affected by blackspot. Blackspot is controllable more by good housekeeping than by spraying, pick up and burn any affected leaves etc and keep the plant well fed. I don't know which roses you have growing in your garden but in my experience, all roses will get blackspot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

thanks BMaxi, I did speak too soon, went out today to find one whole rose bush almost completely bare of leaves from I think blackspot - garden is a little neglected at the moment as I'm heavily preggers. I think I will treat myself to one when I manage to get back gardening. how lovely to have that wonderful scent on your doorstep!

Advertisement