Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piece of gossip about the Snakes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

erm... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

also there is only 2 islands in the world with out wild snakes....... ireland and antartica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

also there is only 2 islands in the world with out wild snakes....... ireland and antartica
    You forgot about Greenland! :P

I was just looking for some wild snakes and big spiders in Ireland and found that info. ;)

lol

There is only one type of lizard... called the viviparous or common lizard (Lacerta vivipara).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Rory123 wrote: »
    There is only one type of lizard... called the viviparous or common lizard (Lacerta vivipara).

Yeah I caught a glimpse of one of those a while ago and I was so shocked! Unusual to see anything but dogs, cats and crows here :P

• Advertisement

WooPeeA wrote: »
    You forgot about Greenland! :P

I was just looking for some wild snakes and big spiders in Ireland and found that info. ;)

lol

isnt greenland the same as antarica/iceland????
    i have the same conversation with a mate a few weeks back.

Weidii wrote: »
    Yeah I caught a glimpse of one of those a while ago and I was so shocked! Unusual to see anything but dogs, cats and crows here :P

But there is that colony of feral wallabies on Lambey Island!!!

thats cool. i was very surprised when i checked that out..ill have to go there and see can i spot 1. do you know if they are breeding there??

thats cool. i was very surprised when i checked that out..ill have to go there and see can i spot 1. do you know if they are breeding there??

Yeah they breed... a few were introduced in the last century as a bit of a novelty but now there are about 40 or 50 living completely wild. I've seen them when out sailing. But you cannot land on the Island without prior permission from the owners. I find the whole story of Lambey very interesting. Our next door neighbours spent some of their childhood there as their father was the farm manager on it.

Actually it seems there is only 10 or 12... some conflicting numbers online!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Weidii wrote: »

I didnt know there was a lizard in Ireland. That's amazing, I have a Leopard Skin Gecko and a Bearded Dragon. Never would of even thought i would see a lizard in Ireland. Amazing.

Where's Steve when you need him? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

isnt greenland the same as antarica/iceland????
    i have the same conversation with a mate a few weeks back.

Eh, no.

Elem wrote: »
    I didnt know there was a lizard in Ireland. That's amazing, I have a Leopard Skin Gecko and a Bearded Dragon. Never would of even thought i would see a lizard in Ireland. Amazing.

Where's Steve when you need him? :P
    I was reading up on them the other day, they are pretty much all over the country but I heard they like coastlines the most. Good luck seeing one... I heard that they are very very good at not being seen!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thought you were joking about this till i googled it...thats mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Technically we have two lizards in Ireland, the common lizard and the slow worm(anguis fragilis) a legless lizard, although they are thought to be introduced and are not classed as native.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yeah they breed... a few were introduced in the last century as a bit of a novelty but now there are about 40 or 50 living completely wild. I've seen them when out sailing.

My God, they're some very gentrified wallabies!

Honey-ec wrote: »

My God, they're some very gentrified wallabies!

Saw that coming!

Advertisement