Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favre wants to come back

• 12-07-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Brett Favre has said he would like to coe back to Green Bay but they seem unwilling to take him.Do you think they will release him?If so who do you think would take him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Hopefully the Bears show an interest and get him !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i think he's had his day, if he does come back he'll be good yeah, but nothing compared to what he used to be.......... personally id like to see him come back (but im not a packers fan so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lol. Packers wont release but have said he can come back to them as a backup. This is gonna get interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's more than welcome to come to the Chiefs!

Seriously though, the head says he should stick to the original plan and retire fully but the heart wants him back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Favre asked for an unconditional release from the Packers.

Its rumored he'll go to the Vikings to reunite with his ex OC. Which would be perfect 4 Favre, a playoff team and he doesn't have learn a new system, but a disaster for the Packers

The Packers don't want him going to a divisional rival so they refused to release him

The Packers say they'll welcome him back but as Rodgers backup

Ive a feeling they'll try to trade him outside the NFC, if not they'll have to release him (Hopefully with a gentleman’s agreement not to stay in the division).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i think most teams would be mad to go near him....once the pressure comes on he'll try his gunslinger stuff as usual and be picked off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm ..sticky little situation this.

Here's the way I see it

Brett decided to retire after the NFC Championship game... ok fair play to him.

Packers tried to persuade him to reconsider,but no dice.

Ok then...Pack need to upload new man Rodgers and plan next season on that situation.

later on Brett gets itchy and wants to reconsider but McCarthy and Ted Thompson have fired up the alternative setup and understandably dont want to get that fcuked up.

If Favre had any class he would say I'm a Packer or nothing,not get a lucrative season as a marquee QB with some other team.

It's all about class in my opinion.

Could get dirty as Favre was on inside the NFL last night, and relations with "up there" didn't seem too cordial.

Hope it doesn't end in tears.

I can see both sides of the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Favre wants to come back in a starting role, but Green Bay has already said that they have moved on after his retirement. They have offered him the chance to comeback as a back-up.

This clown is a walking soap opera. Green Bay is completely in their right to hld on to him and sit hm on the end of the bench. His best days are 12 years behind him and he needs to realise that.

I thank god that the Bears beat the (fudge) Packers both times they played last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Green Bay is completely in their right to hld on to him and sit hm on the end of the bench.

If it was that simple it would have already been done, sad fact of the matter is though that the NFL is all about money.

Favre is due, what I think a $12 million salary this year? There is no way in hell the Packers will keep him on to be a back up at that price - they may as well just throw the money away!

I think they will release him before the start of the season, I just hope he doesn't sign with the Vikings.

We don't need him. As one Vikings blog put it:

"In the last decade, the man has led his team to three. . .three. . .post-season victories. That's a whopping one more than Daunte Culpepper has in the same span, and "that guy" has had way more bites at the apple (not to mention, more often than not, better talent around him) than DC. Many of the losses over that same time have been caused by "that guy" either throwing multiple interceptions (2004 playoffs vs. Minnesota, 2001 playoffs vs. St. Louis) or throwing them at the single most inopportune time possible (2003 playoffs vs. Philadelphia, 2007 playoffs vs. New York). "That guy" will never again lead anybody to a Super Bowl championship. If his current team wants to waste time with him in the hope that it can happen, let them do it. I don't want to see it happen here."

And I couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Okay I think this whole thing comes down to the handing of a team over from a legend to another. This is a tough thing, Montana, Unitus ect all had difficulties in doing this. GB evidently need to know early on in the year, its QB after all. But is this fair on the player? Strahan for instance didn't show up until post TC last year, this can't happen with a QB. Farve shouldn't have retired but to be fair at that stage it probably seemed right, not 100%, but for the time. The packers for obvious reasons needed to know then, but knew this could happen. Because its Farve its awkward, anyone else and he'd be out freely to choose a team. Is that fair on Farve? I personally think that nobody is really at fault for this mess, certaintly not the Packers, Farve perhaps to an extent but overall its a ugly transitional thing. This kind of thing could happen with Manning or Brady in the future. For those who say that GB should stick it to Farve and force him to bench or stay retired thats just ridiculous. Ridiculous for Rogers, the team and the fans from a PR and financial POV. Is it right that you can basically force a guy to retire when he's fit and able to work? The guys an pro athlete, in the closing years of he being physically able to play, it is wrong to force a guy not to play if he wishes to play.

And how can anyone say he is passed it? NFC Championship game last year, one of his best years ever, fact. Its quite easy to box a guys career to a certain period but overall his career reads, SB winner, 1 more appearance, 9 pro bowls, numerous playoff years, 3 MVPs ect. He is pure quality. Almost every team in the league incl the Vikings would like him to play for them. He is not '10 years past his best', going on his most current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hazys wrote: »
    Favre asked for an unconditional release from the Packers.

Its rumored he'll go to the Vikings to reunite with his ex OC. Which would be perfect 4 Favre, a playoff team and he doesn't have learn a new system, but a disaster for the Packers

The Vikings didn't make the play-offs. :confused:

His best days are 12 years behind him and he needs to realise that.

You mean 12 months? He had probably his best year last year. Sure the Bears were 2-0 against the Packers last year (and the Pack were 0-2) but guess what, it's the overall record that counts. 13-3 and 7-9 are what count, not 2-0 and 0-2.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The Vikings didn't make the play-
    You mean 12 months? He had probably his best year last year. Sure the Bears were 2-0 against the Packers last year (and the Pack were 0-2) but guess what, it's the overall record that counts. 13-3 and 7-9 are what count, not 2-0 and 0-2.

Favre's numbers were decent, but he is nowhere close to playing with the 'edge' that he used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The Vikings didn't make the play-offs. :confused:

Obviously I meant a playoff calibre team

Well now that Green Bay has filed tampering charges against Minnesota, the story gets really funny.

Brett Favre might want to invest in his own cell phone

It's not as poetically idiotic as Chris Henry getting arrested while wearing his own jersey, but this one's in the same neighborhood.

Remember those tampering charges that the Packers filed against the Vikings? And remember how I thought it would be difficult for the Packers to prove that Favre had made inappropriate contact with the Vikings?

Well, that assumed that Brett Favre wasn't using a Packers-issued cell phone to make those calls to the Vikings. As it turns out, Favre may have done exactly that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Vikings wrote: »
    Favre is due, what I think a $12 million salary this year? There is no way in hell the Packers will keep him on to be a back up at that price - they may as well just throw the money away!

The Packers are trying to trade Favre in order to save face in case Aaron Rogers has a duff season and Favre(playing for someone else) has a pro bowl type season. If they release him then they get nothing for him and he is free to join division rivals such as the Vikings or Bears, leaving the Packers to face him twice a year.

A trade will be hard to arrange though, as the Packers will not want to trade him to a serious rival, while Favre won't want to go to a team that doesn't have the pieces for a serious championship challenge.

You have to wonder though how many teams at this stage of the year, still have $12m in cap space, are prepared to spend up to $12m on a QB and despite being so far under the salary cap, are still serious playoff contenders.

Don't know about their cap position, but maybe the Ravens might be interested. They have a good defence, solid running game and with the right QB could be contenders, though playing in the same conference as the Patriots and Colts, they would have their work cut out making the Superbowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Farve owes nothing to Green Bay, give the man his release.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Farve owes nothing to Green Bay, give the man his release.
    Totally agree. Favre has been treated badly by the Packers considering what he's done for them. He could make a big difference to the Vikings and it would be really interesting to see Favre back playing against Green Bay.

EOB32 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Favre has been treated badly by the Packers considering what he's done for them. He could make a big difference to the Vikings and it would be really interesting to see Favre back playing against Green Bay.

The irony is that Favre has always been horrible while playing under the dome in Minnesota.

EOB32 wrote: »

He hasn't been treated badly, he has been screwing with the front office with his 'I may retire/I may not retire' story for the better part of two years now. The Packers front office needs to know these things in advance so that they make the apporopraite moves.

He has been childish at his high points in this entire ordeal.

• Advertisement

He hasn't been trweated badly, he has been screwing with the front office with his 'I may retire/I may not retire' story for the better part of two years now. The Packers front office needs to know these things in advance so that they make the apporopraite moves.

He has been childish at his high points in this entire ordeal.

Ye but its not that easy at his age to say in Feb/March, I will/wont come back. Its difficult to say if your body is ready or not. The reason there is such commotion every year is because its Farve and he's the QB, the most important guy. Of course the Packers want to know early on to make moves but this year they wanted it earlier than before, too early it seems. Pleny of players go through this, Strahan sat out camp last year until he was ready-wasn't the same crap written about him cos he's not Farve. Of course Farve isn't entire blamless, his decision to retire was premature of course, his humming and hawing irratatin, but its his career. You only get a short span in which to play, make the most of it.

After a defeat in Lambeau,on a freezing day, after another pick off which led to the game winning field goal.

Guy should never have decided to retire or not until at least May/June.

Very foolish management.

I back the Pack tho,see the need to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a Jets fan I can say that I don't want the Favre circus to find it's way to the Meadowlands for the coming season. Obviously he will be able to play for Green Bay even with the lost preparation time because he knows the place inside out - but at this stage I feel he is a bad fit for any other team given that he would need to learn a new offensive playbook from scratch and fit in with a new group in a month. Additionally, he would be entering a new situation to breeze in and out for a single season with a big fish in little pond mentality. The Jets are going to struggle to make the playoffs this year as it is - but I think we will have a much better shot of upsetting a few people with a gritty Pennington at the helm (accepting his flaws) than a faded superstar who's primary motivation at this point seems to be his ego and nothing more.

Green Bay would be silly to deviate from Rodgers at this point imo.

Favrebaby.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

The breaking news today is that Farve has been reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Tomorrow Farve will be added to the Packers roster as an active player. He's due to go to Green Bay and report in the morning.

Watch this space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

If anything it gives Green Bay options. Rodgers is unproven, and injuries are not unheard of in the NFL, why would they not take him back? They don't necessarily have to start either player every game, do they?

davyjose wrote: »
    If anything it gives Green Bay options. Rodgers is unproven, and injuries are not unheard of in the NFL, why would they not take him back? They don't necessarily have to start either player every game, do they?

"They don't have to start either player every game......", well no, of course they don't, but Favre is due to earn $12m this season and there's no way that the Packers are paying that much for a backup, so basically either Favre is the starter or there's a big problem.

If they have a training camp battle and Rogers comes out ahead, could they retain Favre on that wage as a backup ? No.

If Rogers was the starter, would Favre accept being the backup ? No

Would Packers supporters accept Favre being demoted to backup after last season ? No

So if Favre stays a Packer, the only way it will work is if Favre beats Rogers in a training camp contest and earns his place as starter. Otherwise Favre becomes an unhappy camper on the sidelines with scope for division within the team and starts demanding a move or refuses to take a paycut to reflect his new position.

I am curious as to whether the Packers actually have enough cap space to accomodate Favre's salary and if not, then who will they forced to cut in order to bring him back. Or would Favre be prepared to take a salary cut to ease the situation ?

heyjude wrote: »
    "They don't have to start either player every game......", well no, of course they don't, but Favre is due to earn $12m this season and there's no way that the Packers are paying that much for a backup, so basically either Favre is the starter or there's a big problem.
    They offered him a payout for more than that. Either way they're out of pocket - this way they get to keep him.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    They offered him a payout for more than that. Either way they're out of pocket - this way they get to keep him.

They supposedly offered him $20m to stay retired and do public relations work for the team, but apparently the league were likely to take the view that this payment would give the Packers some playing advantage(ie. it allows Rogers to stay at QB and it means they wouldn't need to find cap space for Favre or face the prospect of him joining another team), in which case the league was likely to declare that the $20m must count against the Packers salary cap, in which case cap-wise and financially they'd have been even worse off.

Well they always have the option to trade him. I can see why they'd be p!ssed off. Having drafted QB's and everything, but the guy just wants to play. From what I can see the Packers want to keep the guy from playing at all. Which is hardly fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Well he's walked out again now. Muppet

jdivision wrote: »

Bit ott there...its quite clear that him being at practice would do do no good for either side. He's not happy with some of the things that have come out of the Packers and feels he can't play for them, they're still meeting at the moment. I would love it if he ended up at the Bears or Vikings would be comedy gold. This whole thing though has perhaps surpassed our own Keane-Saipan lunacy of 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Reports of Favre going to Tampa.

I personally see this as a bad fit compared with Jeff garcia. Garcia was a low risk efficent quarterback, but now this would be replaced with a gunslinger who will always take chances...talk about a philosphy change

jdivision wrote: »

I believe that this is the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement

The only thing that can be said in Brett's defence is that he might not have intended to mess up the Packers, but that's what he's doing. He retired, and before the massive contract Green Bay gave him years ago expired, he forced them into promoting Rodgers, he turned down a huge marketing contract with them, he then unretired and threw their pre-season into chaos, he landed in Green Bay and got this media frenzy going, he then threw a hissy fit over some comments made (and noone at Green Bay has exactly damned him, it would be like someone at manu damning George Best) and said he couldn't give McCarthy the commitment required, he seems upset that Green Bay won't give away a valuable asset who has walked out on his contract. It's bizarre.

At this stage, he had to go. And they should not retire his jersey either. Thanks for the memories Brett, pity it ended on an interception, now go get your paycheque elsewhere

Advertisement