Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King is a white supremacist... [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Options
  • 12-07-2008 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Stephen King is a white supremacist and a racist. Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

paradoy about rodney and stephen king *deleted*

* edit *

Stephen King might have some condencension towards non whites, A white supremacist might be too strong a word,

AlexBm posted this and I have to say he won me over. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_negro

I think King definetly has some magic in his work that while not racist, has an emotional quality to it that is similar to when the during the great World War one , where dug in at the trenches in the Battle of the Somme where the allies faced off the germans, instead of killing each other on christmas day , they celebrated and even played football together. A myth perhaps, but it has that emotion that people like.

There is that magic touch in Kings work and whether the stock character "magic negro" means that it is racist or not is worthy of a discussion. It might require some arts students with serious degrees to figure it out.

LINK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_negro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

AlexBM wrote: »

Start a discussion yourself and see where it goes by all means, posting random statements to get a reaction is pointless. If you have an opinion on this topic go ahead and tell us, but remember it's the literature forum not who's a racist forum, so you might want to take it elsewhere, or keep it within the scope of his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

gogo wrote: »
    Start a discussion yourself and see where it goes by all means, posting random statements to get a reaction is pointless. If you have an opinion on this topic go ahead and tell us, but remember it's the literature forum not who's a racist forum, so you might want to take it elsewhere, or keep it within the scope of his books.

I'm not posting a random statement to get a reaction. I'm looking to see what others' opinions are. This was put to me by a friend, and I'd never thought of it before, hence I'm posting it here to see if others have.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On what basis did he posit this? There's strong black characters in 'The Dark Tower' or 'Dolores Claiborne' and elsewhere.

If you have never thought about it before and seem (so far)to have no opinion on it - therefore it is a random statement.
    Your use of the word discuss would suggest a debate on it, which again as you have no opinion on it seems pretty pointless to post it at all.
    Or are you waiting for someone to take the bait and then dazzel us with your brillance, there is a debate forum if you want to take it there, although they too like there posters to have an opinion.

Say hello/goodbye to Lolth for me if he comes a calling to you...
    Again this is a literature forum..read any good books lately:cool:

• Advertisement

If you have never thought about it before and seem (so far)to have no opinion on it - therefore it is a random statement.
    Your use of the word discuss would suggest a debate on it, which again as you have no opinion on it seems pretty pointless to post it at all.
    Or are you waiting for someone to take the bait and then dazzel us with your brillance, there is a debate forum if you want to take it there, although they too like there posters to have an opinion.

Say hello/goodbye to Lolth for me if he comes a calling to you...
    Again this is a literature forum..read any good books lately:cool:

I have no idea why there is such animosity in your statements towards me. If you have a problem with something I say, I suggest you use the report button, rather than verbally attacking me, and name-dropping moderators. There's no need for comments such as 'dazzel us all with your brillance'. I don't see why it's pointless to post if I don't have a strong opinion on it. I'm looking to find out more - which is why I'm asking. I do actually have an opinion, but don't know enough about his work. Maybe my choice of wording isn't quite to your taste, but again, I don't see why you need to make this animosity-filled rant.
    ixoy wrote: »
    On what basis did he posit this? There's strong black characters in 'The Dark Tower' or 'Dolores Claiborne' and elsewhere.

He mentioned Rose Madder, which I've never read, and The Stand - Randall Flagg, I think he was referring to in particular, and Mother Abagail, as being a bit stereotypical. 'Old folk wisdom imparted by the old black woman', I believe was the term he actually used. He referred to The Green Mile too, in the simpleton-like persona of the supposed murderer. I haven't read this either, so I don't quite know exactly what that means. I haven't read enough of his work at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

My favourite author. where did your friend get this idea from?

jaffa20 wrote: »
    My favourite author. where did your friend get this idea from?

As above, from the few books he's read. I believe a friend of his actually said it to him. I'm working my way around to reading his stuff slowly but surely. I'm nearly finished The Stand now.:)

Anyway, he mentioned Rose Madder, The Stand and The Green Mile in particular. I thought there might have been a theory about it somewhere that I hadn't heard of - a bit like the Enid Blyton is racist thing - but there doesn't seem to be, so far anyway.

I honestly have no animosity toward you what so ever. Do I think you are overstepping the mark asking people to discuss whether someone is racist or not - yes, yes I do, especially when you yourself are sitting on the fence.

You started a thread which you can't contribute to, seems odd to me, but good luck with it...see no animosity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It-one of the main characters in that is black. Also, have you thought about the fact that many of his stories are set in his native Maine which has a pretty small black population?

• Advertisement

It-one of the main characters in that is black. Also, have you thought about the fact that many of his stories are set in his native Maine which has a pretty small black population?

I did consider that, actually...AFAIK, he was born and brought up there. Also, I read It a while ago, so I can't quite remember, but
    doesn't that guy die in the library?

I'm not sure if that's significant or not, but it's interesting.

I honestly have no animosity toward you what so ever. Do I think you are overstepping the mark asking people to discuss whether someone is racist or not - yes, yes I do, especially when you yourself are sitting on the fence.

You started a thread which you can't contribute to, seems odd to me, but good luck with it...see no animosity here.

If you think I'm overstepping the mark, that's fine, no problems, but there was no need for the comments you made which I've already referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I did consider that, actually...AFAIK, he was born and brought up there. Also, I read It a while ago, so I can't quite remember, but
    doesn't that guy die in the library?

I'm not sure if that's significant or not, but it's interesting.

I think he is brutally injured but I think he survives...I've have to Wiki it to be sure.

If I was a writer in Ireland and didn't have a Polish person or Afrian immigrant as a character in my novel, would you consider me racist? I mean, I would be disregarding 10% of the people in Ireland, right?

Or would I write about what I know?

If you think I'm overstepping the mark, that's fine, no problems, but there was no need for the comments you made which I've already referred to.

Oh dear god, you have your discussion ... run with it..please.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is common internet forum courtesy to back up your statements before making wild and sensationalistic accusations.

Also you're wrong.

biko wrote: »
    It is common internet forum courtesy to back up your statements before making wild and sensationalistic accusations.

Also you're wrong.

Okay, I should have worded it differently.

I think he is brutally injured but I think he survives...I've have to Wiki it to be sure.

If I was a writer in Ireland and didn't have a Polish person or Afrian immigrant as a character in my novel, would you consider me racist? I mean, I would be disregarding 10% of the people in Ireland, right?

Or would I write about what I know?

I would imagine you'd write about what you know, but if you had a Polish/African person as a villain/simpleton several times, then I suppose it could be called into question. More of a stereotype rather than a racist streak, maybe.

Oh dear god, you have your discussion ... run with it..please.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think he hates white people because in stand by me, a white kid is dead, and the characher of River Phoenix is murdered.

Also in thinner, a host of white charachters die. He even depicts the white man as a crazed lunatic who would kill his wife in order for his survival.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, he doesn't seem racist from his writing.

• Advertisement

Stephen King, a white supremacist?! Your having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Worst thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Okay, I should have worded it differently.

Indeed, you should have added the word "because" and then you should have added a lot more words to give some background to the statement you are making.

I agree with Kold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

hi, around 15 years ago,when things started to get very pc...this rumour started. also,if you have a read of this,it might make more sense.personally i dont think he is rasist,but he does create characters in his books that are...

The monsters, ghosts and insanities that lurk beneath the bucolic landscape of King's territory in rural Maine are often diabolical, extraterrestrial or ancient in origin. But King's central themes are strikingly serious and contemporary. His greatest concern is with the survival, vindication and ultimate triumph of the weak and vulnerable. The tangible results of evil in King's universe include bullying, racism, wife beating, rape and, above all else, the abuse and murder of children. Few authors in any genre have ever captured the fragility and terror of childhood with such precision, and King's instinctive sympathy for the plight of the nerd, the fat kid, the scapegoat, the queer, is a great source of his appeal.
    hope this helps alex.:)

Okay, I should have posted it as more of a question. As I've already said, I thought there might have been some sort of theory, along the lines of Enid Blyton being apparently racist. That's why I posted it to begin with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Her story stems from 'Here comes Noddy Again'. Golliwogs lure Noddy into the woods under the pretence of asking for help and then steal his car and clothes. Hilarious imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

*melanie* wrote: »
    hi, around 15 years ago,when things started to get very pc...this rumour started. also,if you have a read of this,it might make more sense.personally i dont think he is rasist,but he does create characters in his books that are...

The monsters, ghosts and insanities that lurk beneath the bucolic landscape of King's territory in rural Maine are often diabolical, extraterrestrial or ancient in origin. But King's central themes are strikingly serious and contemporary. His greatest concern is with the survival, vindication and ultimate triumph of the weak and vulnerable. The tangible results of evil in King's universe include bullying, racism, wife beating, rape and, above all else, the abuse and murder of children. Few authors in any genre have ever captured the fragility and terror of childhood with such precision, and King's instinctive sympathy for the plight of the nerd, the fat kid, the scapegoat, the queer, is a great source of his appeal.
    hope this helps alex.:)

You forgot to include to the link from where you got that passage. :rolleyes:

http://archive.salon.com/books/feature/2000/08/11/guide_king/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

ok everyone...i know its not much of my buisness,but i have to ask.does nobody here feel in anyway bad about the way alex was attacked in a way just for asking for some info on a subject that he was curious about? i think its wrong,and people should look at his thread starter and think before getting abusive and what not.thats the sort of thing that makes people not want to come back on boards at all,and i thought that this was supposed to be a community where people could ask for advise or a discussion...any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ok everyone...i know its not much of my buisness,but i have to ask.does nobody here feel in anyway bad about the way alex was attacked in a way just for asking for some info on a subject that he was curious about? i think its wrong,and people should look at his thread starter and think before getting abusive and what not.thats the sort of thing that makes people not want to come back on boards at all,and i thought that this was supposed to be a community where people could ask for advise or a discussion...any thoughts?

I think this is the internet and noone attacked Alex at all, merely his nonsensical thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Yeah the abusive ones as you call them, are the passive ones in reality I believe. If some of these people spoke to me like that in public they wouldn't be long about apologising, but I doubt they'd have to balls to do so in the first place. Of course they'll reply to the contrary but...actually I'm bored of these tossers, life's too short.

Mod's feel free to delete my account.

Advertisement