Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comes First?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hello,

I was looking to design a website for my self. I came across Flash Templates.
    e.g http://www.bestflashanimationsite.com/templates/flash-site/ :rolleyes:

Any way, I wanted to buy one of these templates, And I know there is probably easier ways to obtain them but for €40 I dont really mind.

Well, what I am asking is what do I do next? I know what my website is basically about. And I know the domain I want. Do I buy the domain first and then the flash template? I am a bit of a Noob when it comes to this, But I have a small amount of expierence in Dreamweaver... :)

Please let me know about this, and of course knowing me... I will be back on again with more questions :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

1: decide on the hosting company
    2: buy your domain name (really this can go before hosting company)
    3: sign up with hosting company and get domain name through them .. for a newbie it'll just be easier.
    4: log in and get a feel for things ...
    5: buy your template if thats what you want (flash not advisable if you want to get indexed ... yes I know google will be able to index things but thats another conversation for another day)
    6: Modify your template / logo / text ... and upload

Enjoy

Realise you're not getting the traffic ... start doing some SEO ... realise your flash file probably isn't indexed ... realise you probably should have gone with a normal html / css designed website ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭stewiegriffin08

forbairt wrote: »
    1: decide on the hosting company
    2: buy your domain name (really this can go before hosting company)
    3: sign up with hosting company and get domain name through them .. for a newbie it'll just be easier.
    4: log in and get a feel for things ...
    5: buy your template if thats what you want (flash not advisable if you want to get indexed ... yes I know google will be able to index things but thats another conversation for another day)
    6: Modify your template / logo / text ... and upload

Enjoy

Realise you're not getting the traffic ... start doing some SEO ... realise your flash file probably isn't indexed ... realise you probably should have gone with a normal html / css designed website ...

Great thanks, Can you reccomend a Hosting site? Or are they all good :p
    Well, Its more for customers, I dont really want to build up numbers like youtube or anything like that, its just for the business card... But Could I change all that later on If needed, maybe a link to my flash file from a normal html site..?

Do I edit my template usuing dreamweaver?

Thanks again... all my questions :o

But Im gonna learn :p

Can't recommend a hosting company on here (talk about hosting is not allowed) ... if your target market is ireland ... then go Irish with your hosting ... US may be cheaper but your geo location will be US not irish ...

You won't be able to edit the template with dreamweaver (flash yes) (that said maybe the templates contain XML files or something similar you can edit with dreamweaver)

Yes ... get your domain .. and throw up your flash .. if you don't care about it being found / indexed and search engine friendly go for it .. you can always change things later on

Good luck :)

Sounds great. Thanks

Ill be back in a few days wait till you see :o

I would be intrested in learning more about this, html coding and that :rolleyes:
    But I am starting something else in college.. Is there any websites I could learn all about flash, html, xxl all of this stuff I hear about but do not know... wikipedia I suppose, or java for dummies :p lol Thanks again :)

Hmm... http://www.w3schools.com/ really I'm not sure where to look for beginners ... google ? :)

• Advertisement

perfect thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You won't be able to edit the template with dreamweaver (flash yes) (that said maybe the templates contain XML files or something similar you can edit with dreamweaver)
    It looks like they contain XML files - there is a demo movie there on editing the XML files to customise the template.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Can't recommend a hosting company on here (talk about hosting is not allowed) ... if your target market is ireland ... then go Irish with your hosting ... US may be cheaper but your geo location will be US not irish ...

Hello forbairt, for a novice can you explain cons of US hosting for an Irish site (basic site)?

Many thanks

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hello forbairt, for a novice can you explain cons of US hosting for an Irish site (basic site)?

Many thanks

Sorry for late reply I've been away on business ... ( I've always wanted to say that :P )

In a nutshell ... your sites geolocation matters to the search engines to a certain amount. Hosted in the US means search engines will think its a US site ...

Hosted in ireland will mean the search engines will think its irish so when you go to google.ie ... you're more likely to show up ...

Of course having the .ie will help and you can tell google where you want it to think you're hosted .. but from what I've read about that in the past it can be iffy whether it gets that bit right or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Sorry for late reply I've been away on business ... ( I've always wanted to say that :P )

In a nutshell ... your sites geolocation matters to the search engines to a certain amount. Hosted in the US means search engines will think its a US site ...

Hosted in ireland will mean the search engines will think its irish so when you go to google.ie ... you're more likely to show up ...

Of course having the .ie will help and you can tell google where you want it to think you're hosted .. but from what I've read about that in the past it can be iffy whether it gets that bit right or not.

There's also the support, if they're based in Ireland support is usually just a phone call away, in the US you might have to wait until their business hours.

TBH for the price difference of a couple of quid it's worth getting a local supplier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement