Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking E2180 with a Pin Mod

Options
  • 13-07-2008 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Ok got my conductive ink off ebay last night :D
    How far do you think i can go on the stock cooler. Im thinking 3.0ghz or so, would i be right in saying that i need to bump up the voltage by .1 or .15 to get that to run stable?

Got it running atm at 2.66GHz on stock voltage by joining the 2 pads on the back of the cpu.
    Anyone ever OC this cpu(From bios or by pin mod)? How far is it safe to go.

BTW in case anyone is wondering, the only reason i have to pin mod is because I have a vostro 200 and the bios is locked so i have no option but to do the pin mod.

Running 39oC idle and around 47-50 at most on crysis very high at 1280x1024.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have a E2160 overclocked to 3GHz on the stock Intel cooler (not sure if the one in your Dell is the same) with no trouble. Running FAH on it all the time and the temps stay around 45-50 degrees IIRC. Standard voltage - from my experience increasing the voltage on Core 2-based CPUs doesn't really seem necessary. I have my E6300 overclocked to 2.6GHz (370 FSB) at 1.25V according to the BIOS and CPU-Z is reporting it as only 1.216V!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2.66 is perfectly safe, even on a stock cooler. I used to have an e2160 and 3.2ghz was OK for it, no voltage adjustment necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

eh thats great so, gonna figure out what pins i need to join today and try out an FSB of 300mhz for 3.0ghz
    50% overclock isnt too bad for a 45 euro cpu ;)
    Thanks
    Will post up the results and temps when i get em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Will post up how you overclock that Dell and what you need.

Overclocking is locked in the bios and I am not aware of how a pin mod would work on that Dell.

I have been able to get a E2160 to 3.40ghz with Arctic 7, Ds3 and slight voltage on ram and cpu.From my testing on Winrar and video encoding via Winff, a 3.20ghz E2160 is equal too a 2.40ghz E8400.In games I couldnt notice a difference between oc 2160 and stock E8400.

Don't need to know how to do it, its quite simple to bump up to 300mhz you just cover up BSEL2 with tape.
    The pin mod tricks the motherboard into believing the rated FSB is 300mhz and not the stock 200mhz, its universal so if i took my cpu and installed it in your mobo it would already be overclocked to 3.0GHz.
    I'll post up a pic of what the CPU looks like at 3.0GHz (Picture of the underside of the cpu)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I worded my post wrong Party sorry, I wanted to know how to pin mod.

Not that I knew how :D

Will you post up how you did it with your results, I have one of those vostros too

made an absolute failure of getting it to 3.0GHz since I tried to use sellotape instead of electrical tape, will pick up a roll tomorrow and see if i can get the pin mod to work! Still running 2.66GHz smoothly however
    For those wondering how the f*ck i did this ;)

For my dell vostro 200 anyways what i did was
    1. Open up the box and unplug everything ground myself yada yada yada
    2. Unscrew the heatsink one corner opposite the other(Make sure you got yourself some thermal paste first since it needs to be changed)
    3. Unplug the heatsink and lift it with a twisting motion very gently
    4. open the latch for the socket
    5. Lift out the processor and clean it and then lie it down upside down on a flat surface and make sure your area is well lit.
    6. Now heres a picture of what to do, in theory you can reach 3.6 ghz etc but thats far too much for stock voltage and stock cooling so i wont go into detail on that
    DellVostro200Pinmodding-E2180.jpg
    Made up this handy little diagram with paint ;)

Reinstall the CPU and apply the thermal paste and heatsink

Open Up CPU-z (Download it if you dont have it its an OCing must-have)
    check your FSB if its reporting 266MHz or 300MHz(Depending on how far you OCed then its a success if not post up a pic of your cpu and ill see whats wrong with it ;)

Just a disclaimer:
    I did this myself and caused my pc no harm from doing this but doing this is at your own risk and i claim no responsibility if you mess it up and destroy your cpu.

BTW if you get the conductive ink everywhere then just clean it up with acetone or a piece of paper if its still wet.

happy modding:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

how do you get insulating tape over the pin? do you just cut the pin off and put a tiny little bit of tape over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Tails142 wrote: »
    how do you get insulating tape over the pin? do you just cut the pin off and put a tiny little bit of tape over it?

You never seen an lga775 cpu before then? The pins are on the mobo socket. The cpu just has pads. Just putting the tape over it would work to insulate it.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    You never seen an lga775 cpu before then? The pins are on the mobo socket. The cpu just has pads. Just putting the tape over it would work to insulate it.
    getting tape over BSEL2 is EXTREMELY difficult and i mean it took me 2 hours to get it right :D
    But i eventually got it to work.
    Can others post their results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I wonder if this would work on the 2140 i have sitting around?

It would indeed work, this works on all core 2 duo based CPUs with a 200mhz FSB (Theres a diff mod for higher stock FSBs)
    The e2140 afaik has a multiplier of 8 so 266 fsb would be approximately 2.1GHz(Didnt use a calculator so dont take my word for it) upping it to 300MHz would be kind of tops for stock volts though and you would have 2.4GHz at 300mhz FSB

Try it out, its definitley gonna work on any core 2 duo with a 200mhz FSB.
    Happy Modding!
    You could quite possibly reach 400MHz FSB and get 3.2GHz on that e2140 easily but that would not only need a motherboard capable of running 1600MHz but it would probably need you to bump up the voltage slightly and add a non-stock cooler

can anyone who does this post up their results and how far they OCed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maruzo

I've been able to pin mod my E2160, 2180, and 2200 from 800 to 1066 with a 2 pin mod. However, my first try at 800 to 1333 resulted in a failed mobo. Not sure if it's due to the pin mod or the fact that the 4-pin pwr connection on the cheap ecs gf7050 mobo doesn't make full contact with the psu's 4-pin plug.

Anyway, i did the 800 to 1333 pin mod as described on this thread, but can't get the mobo to boot successfully.

Anyone has any luck? Anyone other than the OP?

Advertisement