Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STARVING FOR ART, 6 MONTH PUP

Options
  • 13-07-2008 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi, guys I'm sitting hear sick to my stomach and as mad as hell I don't even no were to start so the best thing I can do is let you read it for your selfs and ask that you sign this petition.I don't know how to put up the web address on the tread so you'll have to log into it yourself. Dog starved to death for the sake of art??????????????

Please log onto Puppy rescue inistioge.You'll find it under Irish Animals other web sites

I think it's best read for yourself please please sign this and don't let this mad man away with this.

And Mods if you read this and support this could post up the petition on the tread for me please and thank you as this is very important.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'm fairly sure that topic was discussed here before. Do a search for it on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Here's what Snopes has to say about the whole thing

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/vargas.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Thanks for posting that for me carwash_2006.Is that him with the apple in his mouth like butter wouldn't melt?
    I'm still only on computers for dummies?

I hope no one minds if I ask to keep this up as I couldn't find the old tread and I hope that any one who hasn't seen it will.

There is only two months left before he dose this again and not enough people have signed the petition .

I am going to ask everyone I know who hasn't access to a computer if I can set up an e-mail for them and sign the petition ie grandparents, ants, uncles, elderly and so fort I hope everyone will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

That is sick, how can he justify this to himself. I am disgusted and disturbed. I will sign the petitiona and I hope everyone who posts here will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Agreed - This is ludicrous! I'm horrified to see this. Thanks for bringinig this up ... I have signed the petition too!

ValerieR :mad:

Glad to see it was kept on then and to hear you's have signed the petition. I was so upset to see it, then the next lot carwash put up showing the food on the walls I just don't understand the world these types of people live in. Might of under stood if the dog was killed to feed the starving childern who have nothing, but to delibritely starve an already starving dog makes me sick, I would love to know what the "art" piece was called if anyone understnds it. Oh and how much do you's think my radio on the table will fetch if I put a label and table cloth on it, I'm no artist but it's up for offers of a million or so I'll even throw in a bag of apples. Who let this monster out of it's cage?:mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

:eek::eek::eek:
    I've just signed.....

I am an artist and I think its is a complete disgrace. The gallery haven't much cop on representing this idiot either.

Thanks for highlighting it blackcat or I wouldn't have known about it.

artieanna wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    I've just signed.....

I am an artist and I think its is a complete disgrace. The gallery haven't much cop on representing this idiot either.

Thanks for highlighting it blackcat or I wouldn't have known about it.

Do you think you could post this in the Art fourms as well it would be great to have the Arts community behind this as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

signed it, that is so sick!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Do you think you could post this in the Art fourms as well it would be great to have the Arts community behind this as well.

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

That is just horrific, barbaric & nasty.Have signed the petition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pollydoodles

Ar! my arse, If I walked into a Gallery and saw this I would not leave without the dog no matter what I had to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Remember controversy of this from a while back. Opinion seems very divided as to whether it actually took place as reported or was "staged". Either way, the "artist" has got himself plenty of publicity & his name "out there" for all the wrong reasons - and without lifting a paintbrush.

Incidentally, has anyone seen any of his other work? Does it have same kind of shock value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As sick as it is, the artist makes a good point. Nobody would have cared enough about this stray dog on the streets of Costa Rica to even throw it some food normally but since he took it out of it's natural environment everybody is fawning over it. As a piece on human hypocrisy it works

After signing the petition I got back a letter from a Spanish guy who was there himself and tryed to stop it he said that the arts department in their government was letting it go ahead because it was already on display and called art and they seen nothing wrong with it.

The petition has already been given to the government to stop him doing it again but was turned down because not enough people had signed it so he is determent to keep trying I only wish I was better at computers and new were else it could be posted, I'll try anyway and hope for the best.

If you look at all the pictures you can see that the dog is getting tinner and tinner so I personally believe it to be true and if it's not what harm are we doing in signing it anyway.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    As sick as it is, the artist makes a good point. Nobody would have cared enough about this stray dog on the streets of Costa Rica to even throw it some food normally but since he took it out of it's natural environment everybody is fawning over it. As a piece on human hypocrisy it works

Your right he tuck it out of it's natural environment and left it with out a way to defended or feed it's self and while being handed his lovely award the dog died. I understand what you are saying but there are other ways to highlight a problem!!!!lLike being famous for your art which he clearly isn't and using your inflence to hlep the animals or poeple or what ever he clearly knew there would be westeners at it and knew it would get him attention.

LisaO If you look over it again you will see a radio on a table a pot probably stolen from some poor pot maker lots of apples around the floor and dog food stuck to the walls spelling out a word along with a starving dog tied down unable to help it's self. THATS HIS ART PIECES!!!!!!

By the way willing to throw in two bags of apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Your right he tuck it out of it's natural environment and left it with out a way to defended or feed it's self and while being handed his lovely award the dog died. I understand what you are saying but there are other ways to highlight a problem!!!!lLike being famous for your art which he clearly isn't and using your inflence to hlep the animals or poeple or what ever he clearly knew there would be westeners at it and knew it would get him attention.

LisaO If you look over it again you will see a radio on a table a pot probably stolen from some poor pot maker lots of apples around the floor and dog food stuck to the walls spelling out a word along with a starving dog tied down unable to help it's self. THATS HIS ART PIECES!!!!!!

By the way willing to throw in two bags of apples.

First of all, he clearly is extremely famous now. Not many artists are discussed on an Irish message board in two forums. I'd say this has gone better than he ever hoped. Secondly, he clearly didn't break any law as no person had ownership over the dog and the Costa Rican laws on killing strays probably aren't that strict. Finally, his point wasn't to make westerners aware of the situation, it was to make a piece of brilliant art. He did. I would respond to the rest of your piece but I can't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Bubs101 wrote: »

He might be making a point, but it's still no excuse for cruelty.

It would be akin to wanting to use art to protest against paedophilia, yet having a display of paedophilia in the background. It's depraved, immoral and just not right. "Art" of this genre, whatever it is, is just BS

OK I'm asking everyone to hang on in here with me as this might be a long one and it is for the benefit of everyone who wants to know what it was all about especially the artists who keep saying it was to prove a point,that starving dogs are ignored on the streets.

I have rescue animals for most of my life and I can tell you from all the pictures, that the dog does get tinner and tinner as well as one that shows the lights in it's eyes have gone out and he is on deaths door step. Any one who has lost a pet knows that look.

I haven't posted for a while as I wanted to know what exactly happened to this poor dog and come back with some answers. I have searched every thing I can and for a famous artist I can not find any of his previous nor his present art and in any art directory so at this point I think it is safe to say he is famous for his cruelty and not his "Art" but I'll keep you's up date if I come across any thing.(feel free to let me know were to find it if you know were.)

Here's what I have found so far.

Artist Guillermo Vargas Habacuc is known artistically as Habakkuk. His exhibition was visual arts at Biennial of the central American. The name Habakkuk is described in the dictionary as: 1.a Hebrew prophet or the seventh century B.C. Jubah who prophesied an imminent Chaldean invasion. : 2. a prophetic book of canonical Jewish and Christian scripture. : 3. it also directs you to look in the bible which I couldn't get into. Just thought you's would like to know as it went in all by itself must have accidentally hit something.(freaky)

He called it his Masterpiece based on the dogs agony.
    He named the dog Nativity.

The La prenas a Nicaragua newspaper issued a statement from the director of the gallery Juanita Bermudez.

This statement has been translated and here are some of the quotes.

One of the exhibited works consisted of presenting a Dog that famelicas Habakkuk gathered in the street, and during the exhibition appeared tied with a nylon rope, which in turn was subject to another rope that hung from two nails in a corner of the gallery. Hamucuc named the dog "Nativity" in tribute to the Nicaraguan, Natividad Canada (24 yrs) who died devoured by two rottweiler dogs at a workshop in San Jose, Costa Rica, the morning of Thursday, Nov. 10, 2005.

I am pleased that so many people at international level have proved troublesome for the statements given by Habakkuk which argued that his intention was to let the dog die of starvation.

What is your absolute responsibility by fulfilling reporting the true facts, I hope that all those same people have also raised their voices of condemnation when Natividad Canada was Devour by the rottweiler.

The full statement can be found back in the tread in Snopes under director. The computer should Translate it for you.

Here are some of the words people wrote to the director around the world.
    -One dog cannot be held accountable for all dogs in the world.
    -Crime "Action" improper or reprehensible.
    -A tribute (violent)
    -"Torture" neither art nor culture.

Back to me! If this was a tribute to someone who was savaged by a dog then anyone in there right mind would not risk putting children in the same position, what if one of the children had been bitten or savaged by the dog, they were poor children no money for doctors and would probably have died from infection. By the look of the dog I'd put it at about 6-8mths old and probably to young to realize it was not a game but the start of a torturous end. Why didn't he do his own dirty work in stead of putting children in danger.(Coward)

He pulled this stunt of the back of a better artist for his own financial gains. This is a very sick and evil man that they are allowing to represent their country.

Neither the WSPA (who I believe are only around the corner) or any other animal rights groups were contacted to help with this exhibition and over see that the dog was indeed taken care of and released afterward. This only further leads me to believe that he intended to let the dog suffer.

A dog in this state even with 3 good meals a day would take at least several weeks to show any sign of gaining weight so yes from someone with experience of rescuing under weight dogs this dog could have been feed even on min food and water and not put on weight for the exhibition, to me this clearly is not the case, and even if it was alive and set free after the exhibition it's clear the dog was on deaths door and would probably have died were it was thrown.

I hope this clears up some questions to does who have not yet signed the petition this was done out of revenge and ignorance noting more than a stunt for financial gain.

It was a tragedy what happened to Natividad Canada and this has happened all over the world from time to time but making an example of one run down mute is not going to stop it happening in the further after all I don't know any dogs that can read the paper or use the net so who is he making an example to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 entershikarisim

Hey, i read this thread and looked it up and its absolutely DISGUISTING! I'd never heard of it before until now but its absolutely horrible. I looked it up and There are rumours that the dog didnt die and that it was 'let back into the streets from where it came', but even so it sickens me to think of the sick mind of the artist. Wether he thought he was proving a point or not the only point he proved is that he is sadistic.
    According to this : http://www.wspa-usa.org/pages/2341_no_excuses_for_cruelty.cfm he was apparently stopped from repeating the same thing again due to the petition and the competetion changed its policy so that artists couldnt abuse animals. WSPCA said they are campaigning for an update of animal cruelty legislation in the area to help prevent this suffering in the future because apparently the law as it stands meant that the man did NOTHING wrong. Absolutely foul.:mad:

According to this : http://www.wspa-usa.org/pages/2341_no_excuses_for_cruelty.cfm he was apparently stopped from repeating the same thing again due to the petition and the competition changed its policy so that artists couldn't abuse animals. WSPA said they are campaigning for an update of animal cruelty legislation in the area to help prevent this suffering in the future because apparently the law as it stands meant that the man did NOTHING wrong. Absolutely foul.:mad:

Thank you for posting this as I had not seen this one yet.

There seems to be two petitions one to stop him competing and the other to stop him doing this to other animals. In the one on Inistioge puppy rescue it says they still haven't enough so hopefully it just hasn't been updated.

I do think how ever that the WSPA petition should be put up on it's own tread as well as I think most people have already been through here and might not come back. I'd do it for you but again computers for dummies here and still can't figure out how to put up a URL or what ever it is.Sorry I'll try any way.

Yahhh! figured it out, already up, have to go now busy patting my self on the back.

OK here's the page I wanted you's to read you's will have to read down a good bit to get the picture.

http://www,gooogle.com/translate?u=http://salonkritik.net/06-07/2007/10/aclaracion_tema_hababu_rodolf.php

Do you's really think this dog would have been aloud to roam the gallery all night, I mean think about it, dog dirt every were and lots to get his teeth in to and who would catch the dog the following morning ?, sounds more like the director is just trying to cover his own ass ? Even with a min of food the dog would of held the same weight which it clearly doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's just sick.

I think it was discussed in After Hours before IIRC.

stovelid wrote: »
    That's just sick.

I think it was discussed in After Hours before IIRC.

IIRC What is this and were do I find it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

this is the spam email that just keeps on going isn't it? 12+ months on and its the same mis information over and over and over.

Juanita Bermúdez, director of the Códice Gallery, insisted Natividad escaped after just one day. She said: 'It was untied all the time except for the three hours the exhibition lasted and it was fed regularly with dog food Habacuc himself brought in.'"

A number of sites have stated Vargas made the following statements regarding the dog:

"the dog would have died anyway",
    "I cannot say if the dog died or not",
    "I wanted to do it to remember Mr.Natividad Canda", and "I did the exhibition to show the terrible situation of street dogs".

Whether these are Vargas' words or not is uncertain, since there have been numerous hoax pages attributed to him since this whole thing started early last year.

The people threatening violence, under the guise of sympathy and compassion for animals, have done so on the basis of unsupported hearsay. They have done so on the basis of images of an emaciated dog, tied to a wall. Its the same handful of images re-used and photoshopped over and over. Yet in all the "photos" there is no image of a dead dog - the dog is alive in all the images. Funny that people can claim to have been at the exhibition and take photos but no one thought to take an photo of the dog after it had died as evidence in order to prosecute the artist and/or the gallery.

Why risk a fine or jail time for animal cruelty when all you have to do is create enough doubt and let the glory that is the internet do the rest for you.

If people really cared so much they would be calling for him to be arrested on animal cruelty charges but all the petitions online are to ask for his removal from the Arts Biennial of Central America [where most petitions claim, incorrectly, he will repeat his "dieing dog" piece] not his arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

IIRC What is this and were do I find it please?

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly.

tbh wrote: »
    IIRC - If I Recall Correctly.
    Thank you never got the hang of text abbreviations guess I'm not doing much better here but thanks for clearing that up I'm such a dope for not coping that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

The fact that Snopes says it's Undetermined is good enough for me. People are jumping to defend this dog, and no one has produced concrete evidence so far. And, as Bubs said, it highlights the depths of human hypocrisy in a way I'd never even imagined possible.

With all the tragedy and suffering that is occuring around the world, all the humans starving, dying and living in their own filth, and you're all getting upset over a dog? Animals die every day as the natural order of things, and while this couldn't be called natural, I'm still of the opinion that it isn't real. How about, instead of signing a petition, to save a Schroedingers dog from it's miserable existence/non-existence you grab an Erin cup-a-soup or something, and hand it out to one of the numerous homeless people in one of our cities?

• Advertisement
Advertisement