Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I reduce my CO2 emissions to pay less VRT on UK Import

Options
  • 13-07-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

I was checking this evening how much VRT i would need to pay for a 2005 Toyota Landcruiser Auto 3.0 7 seater diesel UK Import.

The quote i got for VRT was €16844 - Ouch

The CO2 emissions on the VRT Enquiry page was 277 for this vehicle. It would be my intention to convert to run on PPO anyway as diesel is so expensive right now. So what if i could reduce the CO2 emissions before i import the vehicle. Converting a diesel to run on PPO can reduce your CO2 emissions by 30 - 50%.

If a PPO conversion was able to reduce the CO2 emissions to 150 it would mean i would only pay 20% VRT instead of 36%.

This is what it says on the VRT Enquiry page:

Where the level of CO2 emissions for a vehicle submitted on this VRT Enquiry differs from that indicated by Revenue, this calculation will only be valid if the declarant can produce appropriate supporting documentary evidence to the satisfaction of the Revenue Commissioners confirming such submitted level of CO2 emissions at the time of registration.

I have read the Sticky New VRT regime.... at the top of this forum and it appears that you cannot change these figures by converting to PPO. It must be manufactured this way.

It is probably not possible to do this but hopefully someone knows a way. It sems a little unfair that you cannot reduce your CO2 emissions. It would also apply that if your CO2 emissions increased so would your road tax.

Regards

David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Can't be done. Any aftermarket conversions won't be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 daithi69

Yep thought so, its a pity but i suppose if it were possible the market would be flodded with all manner of modified cars which would not necessarily be a good thing.

Many thanks.

David

Advertisement