Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Small Animals Neutuered

Options
  • 13-07-2008 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Does all veteniary clinics in Ireland do spaying/neuteuring on small animals like rabbits? I want to get my rabbit done I have read up about it but can only find info on american sites which isn't very good. Is there a high death rate for rabbits getting neuteured here? Does anyone know of any good clinics that is good with dealing with smallies and has a low death rate in Clare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Yes. No. No.

Have you tried ringing your vet and asking? Most importantly, given your parents aversion to paying to spay a cat, have you considered how you'll fund this? Spaying a rabbit will cost around the same as spaying a cat.

I could try tracking down a decent small animal vet in the Clare area for you but, after the run around you gave people on IrishAnimals, I'd like some reassurances that you are actually going to ring the people this time. :confused: I don't want my phone calls, time and effort to go to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Well my parents don't mind spaying our pet since the cat was the neighbours. I think something happened to her though. Not too sure yet if I will be getting it done. It's not urgent really it's just that un-neuteured males poop alot and spray so it could be a problem when he is indoors during the winter. I would have to be completely sure he won't die though before I get it done because it's not really nesscessary.

I would be happy if you knew a good place but I can't reassure you I will be getting it done unless I am 100% sure that everything will go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Neutering a male rabbit will help with toilet training but it won't rule out pooping outside the litter tray altogether. It will help if he is in any way aggressive and hormonal at the moment. There is no 100% gurantee that any animal (or human) will sruvive an anesthetic but neutering males is a shorter operation than spaying a female and with a good vet and good before and aftercare he should be fine.

There is info on neutering on my guineapigcottage website in my signature.

There should be a good small animal vet in Clare why not contact CAW as they would of used one for their smallies. There is a list of questions you can ask the vet these questions are also on my website mainly to do with guineapigs but the same questions would apply to rabbits being neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Oh ya I'll get on to CAW. They will be coming indoors during the winter so I'll probably get it done then if there is a big problem with litter training him other then that I don't need to get him done.

Advertisement