Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Voluntary Emergency Service to Join

• 13-07-2008 3:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    i work in a highly dangerous enviroment ( and not just due to the boss's temper!) and i am the team lead of my shifts Emergency Response Team, i've done first aid courses up to deploying an AED, have done an ERT couse in the o'brien institute and can thus use BA apparatus. I train regularly with my team and have of course delt with numereous incidents in my factory from fires, heart attacks, chemical spills ( a lot of thoses!) and gunshot wounds even.
    Anyway i was thinking of volunteering out my skills, i live in kildare and i was wondering what are my options of organisations to join. Is their a fire brigade "reserve" ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

The AFS (Auxiliary Fire Service) could be what you're looking for, contact the Kildare Civil Defence via the CD national website: CD national website. There are other orgs but more focused on ambulance work only.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

I bet you work in Newbridge.
    I'm one of the lads that back you's up when you's make the call.
    Civil Defense do AFS training in Naas there motor is a back up for the Naas station so its fully kitted out, you can't go far wrong there.

As for first aid, they do it but I think they are not that advanced yet but that might suit you also.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

not newbridge but good guess your on the right track there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MrDylan

closecall wrote: »
    I bet you work in Newbridge.
    I'm one of the lads that back you's up when you's make the call.
    Civil Defense do AFS training in Naas there motor is a back up for the Naas station so its fully kitted out, you can't go far wrong there.

As for first aid, they do it but I think they are not that advanced yet but that might suit you also.

Good luck

Do the Civil Defence back up Naas fire service or do they just use Naas's reserve fire engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The appliance used by Kildare CD still belongs to Kildare Fire Service, and is kitted out and maintained by them, as it is also used as a training appliance by the fire service. It isn't used day-to-day by the fire service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you may like to consider Red Cross/St Johns/Order of Malta which would only utilise your first aid skills but might give you something different from work while still along the same lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

civdef wrote: »
    The appliance used by Kildare CD still belongs to Kildare Fire Service, and is kitted out and maintained by them, as it is also used as a training appliance by the fire service. It isn't used day-to-day by the fire service.

do the Kildare CD use BA sets, chem suits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Nope. Nor do any AFS units that I'm aware of at present.

Advertisement