Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo V50 1.8 SE late 07 model

Options
  • 13-07-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting one of these. Seems to be a good deal (nearly too good!)
    Car is less then 1 year old, yet is EUR9.5 cheaper then a new model (That's some depreciation).
    Dealer also has a similar 1.6diesel, but it will cost EUR2.5k more. Same mileage, same spec.
    So what should I expect fo this car? I'm trading a 1.6 petrol non Volvo make.
    I was expecting much higher fuel comsumption, but it is recorded as 7.3 litres per 100km, v's my old car which is 7.2 litres.
    What about service costs? Would I be better going to a non Volvo dealer for these, or would this impact possible trade in value?
    I know that market for new 1.8 petrol versions of this car is minimal, but should I expect a big surprise if I traded it in, in a few years? I would have thought the pre Jul 08 models should be ok, but am I wrong?
    It is not the 1.8 flexifuel btw.
    All thoughts/feedback/opinion welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Looking at getting one of these. Seems to be a good deal (nearly too good!)
    Car is less then 1 year old, yet is EUR9.5 cheaper then a new model (That's some depreciation).
    Dealer also has a similar 1.6diesel, but it will cost EUR2.5k more. Same mileage, same spec.
    So what should I expect fo this car? I'm trading a 1.6 petrol non Volvo make.
    I was expecting much higher fuel comsumption, but it is recorded as 7.3 litres per 100km, v's my old car which is 7.2 litres.
    What about service costs? Would I be better going to a non Volvo dealer for these, or would this impact possible trade in value?
    I know that market for new 1.8 petrol versions of this car is minimal, but should I expect a big surprise if I traded it in, in a few years? I would have thought the pre Jul 08 models should be ok, but am I wrong?
    It is not the 1.8 flexifuel btw.
    All thoughts/feedback/opinion welcome!

Mrs R.O.R drives an 05 model of this. Fantastic spec for the money on the SE model, seats are very comfortable and the engine is powerful enough to pull the car along.

If you are driving in city traffic don't expect to see 7.3 l/100km - more around 8.3. With careful use of the Cruise Control she's now down to 7.5 l/100km doing 20 miles of motorway and 5 miles of city traffic (each way).

The discounted price of the FlexiFuel versions has really hit the resale values of the Petrol models. Good if you are buying now, but won't be good when you go to sell on. We have started getting a good few of these back in work (I work in car leasing) and we are having trouble shifting even the diesels at any sort of decent money.

No major issues known with the S40/V50 or the 1.8 engine. Service intervals of 20,000km on the non-FlexiFuel models but don't take it to a Volvo dealer unless it's warranty work- by god do they know how to charge.

Any links to the 2 cars? I've driven a few of the 1.6 diesels and been a bit disappointed with the engine. I wouldn't be sure if there would be any benefit in spending the extra 2.5k on the diesel unless you are doing huge mileage, especially with the extra cost of diesel at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you are driving in city traffic don't expect to see 7.3 l/100km - more around 8.3. With careful use of the Cruise Control she's now down to 7.5 l/100km doing 20 miles of motorway and 5 miles of city traffic (each way).

I would expect the MPG would improve if she didn't use the cruise control. They always use more fuel than you would yourself on the road, as a human can feather the throttle and can also pre-empt hills and inclines much better than the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Volvo's suffer terribly from depreciation here - there's no reason for it.

I spent last weekend in Kerry with a 1.8 petrol v50 - a great car I have to say, quiet, comfortable, great handling - and my passengers were well impressed with the fit and finish too.

I also like the way they look btw - so I am 100% sold, except for maybe size, it aint huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Volvo's suffer terribly from depreciation here - there's no reason for it.
    Since this car is about 9 months old, and they are discounting it EUR9.5k v. new (= 27% depreciation in year 1), what sort of depreciation should I expect in say another 2 years?
    In my experience, most of my cars were worth about 50% after 3 years. Would Volvo be any different in this respect, or will the impact of the new VRT rules impact this % figure? I know crystal ball stuff!
    If it stuck to the 50% I would expect to lose about another 7.5k in the next 2 years, or 3.75k p.a., which I could live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

50% over 3 years would be the minimum unfortunately. I'd budget for 60% and anything better than that in 2 years time is a bonus.
    Its still a 'Volve estate', and there are always people who buy only volvo estates. have to say I love the look of the V50.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Would 60% in 1st 3 years be the norm nowadays? i.e. if I bought a Ford Focus, would it be similar? Maybe my 50% figure was outdated, based on all the recent changes -i.e. VRT reductions, switch to diesel, new models, etc.

Still looking at this deal. Thought I might get a better trade in price, but as everyone has pointed out, trade in prices have collapsed......

Advertisement