Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People selling cars in housing Estates

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Is it legal to sell cars in housing estates. If it isnt do the police do anything about it. As it seems to happening where I live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Is it legal to sell cars in housing estates. If it isnt do the police do anything about it. As it seems to happening where I live.
    surely the same law applys to estates as it does on open roads.
    i see mayo co co dont allow cars been sold on the roadside a few months back, they confiscate and crush immediatley ,, no chance given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not illegal if you are selling from your private property. Cars parked up on verges are I belive another matter, it was discussed at some lenght here a couple of years ago.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How else is someone supposed to sell their car?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm sure your local planning authority might take issue with a change of use from residence to retail business in the middle of an existing housing estate..

Might be the best way to approach it.. contact your council.. but you better be absolutely sure that it is happening, and have evidence to back up your claim.

by the way I presume you're talking about someone essentially running a business at it, not people selling their private cars once off??

If it's the former the Gardai etc. won't be interested. As I say above, the council might.. and the revenue might..

If it's the latter, then, I think you're being a tad unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This whole issue has nothing to do with private individuals putting for sale notices up in their own cars, parked outside their own homes.

What it's usually about, and what most local councils are (rightly) concerned about, is private individuals buying up quantities of second hand cars to sell on and then parking them all over the place, usually on grass verges in places with busy traffic, sometimes dangerously blocking sight lines, and generally getting in the way and being an eyesore. In other words, non-registered, non tax compliant 'businesses' misusing public property as their 'showrooms'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Alun wrote: »
    This whole issue has nothing to do with private individuals putting for sale notices up in their own cars, parked outside their own homes.

What it's usually about, and what most local councils are (rightly) concerned about, is private individuals buying up quantities of second hand cars to sell on and then parking them all over the place, usually on grass verges in places with busy traffic, sometimes dangerously blocking sight lines, and generally getting in the way and being an eyesore. In other words, non-registered, non tax compliant 'businesses' misusing public property as their 'showrooms'.

In that case a planning enforcement order should do the trick, and maybe Revenue involvement..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

spockety wrote: »
    In that case a planning enforcement order should do the trick, and maybe Revenue involvement..
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

The person dosent live in the estate, his mother does. At moment, there is car parked between my house and his for sale. There are a further 4 cars parked about 50 yards away. None of the cars are parked in a driveway, we dont have a drive way where I live, just parking spaces, which s where 4 cars are parked for sale, and 1 car parked on the road beside his house and mine. A while back he was told to move his cars by another neighbour, he did so, but it seems that there are cars here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Report said cars for having no Motor Tax displayed and or VRT if they are non-Irish regs. If you were gutsy enough to remove the plates you could get to the council to remove and impound them leading to possible crushing! This guy sounds like a wheeler dealer who needs manners put in him pronto. Does he have habits of revving up the cars in the evening and have tracksuit clad mates come round in "Souped" up glanzas and Mitsubishis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just hope no one damages them late one night after dark.

There are some right heads around.

The seller wouldnt be long moving them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

Alun wrote: »
    , sometimes dangerously blocking sight lines,
    would that not be a garda matter?
    and generally getting in the way and being an eyesore. In other words, non-registered, non tax compliant 'businesses'
    Revenue and companies office/office of corporate enforcement?
    misusing public property as their 'showrooms'.
    Local authority?

PS the ?'s are cos I am not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ring up the local council and enquire if this "business" is paying rates. The local council will be delighted to investigate if there is money due to them.

Advertisement