Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Few questions before test

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

I originally had a date for 25th August with SGS in Kilkenny, but I got a cancellation with them for next Friday, the 18th. I've done 2 tests with the RSA before, my first I was only driving my own car 2 weeks, and only failed by one blue, was a shame really, and the second just didn't go to plan at all, there was alot going on at that time, so nerves and tension got the better of me, failed that one by 2 blues, most blues where for progress, drove pretty slow and took my time, a bit too much because my mind was wondering.

So I'm determined to pass this one, Be a great feeling to get the full license, and as a plus my insurance drops down to €900, fully comp on an almera with 2 years no claims. not bad for a 21 year old!

Just a few questions:

- I know this is probably me just being paranoid, but I'm checking everything, my NCT expires this month, It says 30-07-08 on the disc, this is still OK for my test is it?

- Has anyone had any experience with SGS in Kilkenny? What are they like?

- It's a shame I wont be able to get a pre-test before the test, because of the short notice with the cancellation, the earliest slots with instructors here at the moment is the end of this month, So how would you recommend I "pre-test" my self? any tips/ideas?

- Any tips for the test? I have over 40 hours driving tuition done, and 2 years driving experience under my belt, so I'm feeling pretty confident on that front.

Thanks
    Looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

TheElf wrote: »
    - Has anyone had any experience with SGS in Kilkenny? What are they like?

I passed with them 2 weeks ago and 3 of my friends have passed since. They were really really nice and helpful. There is something about them that made me so relaxed. I also failed with RSA and I found them to be rude and off-putting. SGS are more than willing to clarify directions and instructions. I was nervous so I asked him to clarify one direction about 4 times and he just smiled and kept explaining! In my RSA test I tried to clarify once and was told to go where he 'just bloody told me to go and get on with it'. It ruined me. I can PM my test route if you want, don't know if anyone else here is interested enough to read it! :D

The only tip I have regarding the SGS is DON'T listen to other people about how nice/mean certain testers are. I was told that X was lovely, Y passed everyone and Z failed everyone. Don't listen because if you get Z, for instance, you'll get really nervous and will mess up what might be a perfect test because you think they fail everyone and don't have a chance. Like you I had 2 years experience, 40+ hours or tuition and am the same age and if you're confident and competent you will pass. It has nothing to do with the tester!

Let me know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TheElf wrote: »
    so I'm feeling pretty confident on that front
    Good luck with the test! :)

Just bear in mind that there is a vast difference between confidence and competence.

Some very competent drivers show little confidence........while some very confident drivers show little competence. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Cheers for all the replys lads, much appreciated! :D
    ergonomics wrote: »
    I can PM my test route if you want, don't know if anyone else here is interested enough to read it! :D

That would be brilliant if you could! :)
    This post has been deleted.

I probably could have worded that one better, sorry, I just had a lot going on at the time, and the tester just wasn't friendly in any way, so it just wasn't in me!, Don't worry though, my concentration on the road is nothing to worry about, I hope!

Just bear in mind that there is a vast difference between confidence and competence.

Some very competent drivers show little confidence........while some very confident drivers show little competence. ;)

Brilliant words, Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

+1

I have a friend who is super confident but her driving leaves much to be desired as she speeds on back roads which are dark and fairly dangerous in terms of road width and bends. I would rarely get in the car with her and no one will let her spin in their motors such as sharing the driving duties on long drives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I did my test with SGS in Kilkenny in May. I posted the route I did here. Be aware that the tester doesnt have to stick religiously to the route and you're better off driving safely all over the town. My tester was very friendly and made me feel at ease and repeated any instructions that I asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

I had a look at a few of the other routes in that thread too, seems to be pretty solid routes they take, no hidden tricks!

Makes me feel a lot better seeing that they usually take people out where I have been driving mostly myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Also did my test with them in Kilkenny back in april - found them to be really professional but relaxed [they actually asked my name which the RSA guy didn't and during the test said "Now Ms. Ztoical please take the second exit....." where as the RSA guy just barked "second exit"] I did my hillstart next to eurospar which was a little odd as there isn't much of a hill there at all.

Just remember the road going to the SGS center goes from 50 to 60 to 100 and while you don't really have time to get up much speed, if the road is clear make sure to move forward and show you know the speed limit has changed or you'll get a tick for progress - my friend got a blue mark after driving out of and back to the test center just under 50 the whole way when the road was pretty empty.

Advertisement