Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

water leak

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭

morning folks. from the start here, bought a mk 4 reg gt tdi in nov 07, ever since theres always something to be done on her,
    1. passenger wing mirror fell off!!
    2. noise, rattle from engine...
    3.alloys repaired very badly
    4.cv joint gone
    5. flywheel replaced
    6. leaking water
    and to add insult to injury, apart from mirror and,alloys i had to replace myself, reason given (not covered under warranty)..... as i was told!!!!:mad: noise back in engine 2 weeks after flywheel replaced, am too tired with it all to go back to dealer, then yesterday afternoon i noticed water underneath gearbox area, and a little further down. none outside this morning before i started her, 10 mins of engine running and you could see dripping water from both places!!!
    at least its not oil from gearbox where i thought it was at start but am still a bit bothered about both the leak and the engine noise,
    some thoughts or ideas on these would be most appreciated, ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If the car is in warranty then all of the above faults should be fixed, contact consumer rights, SIMI (for what its worth) and then send them a solicitors letter.

Sounds like you're being given the run around and have been ripped off, you're within your rights to have all these faults fixed or your money back. Do yourself a favour though, document all communication with the garage and faults with the car, and keep all reciepts.

I had a GT TDi for 3yrs, and found it to be a very reliable car. Golfs are not the best built car around but you seem to have suffered an abnormal amount of problems. I'd get the original UK reg (presuming that it came from england as its a GT) and run a HPI check on it to see if it has any accident history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

they said it was wear and tear,and someone else had a prob with another car and they had to pay also, just sick to the teeth with it all, have contacted simi but no reply.
    its a lovely car and i just got lumbered with the faults that happened, have the uk reg came back clear on everything. passed nct, but nothing failed, cv wasnt totally gone but i replaced it after.
    i waited so long to get one of these and am just a tad annoyed at the moment......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. contacting SIMI is really just wasting your time!
    2. where did you get the car? Main dealer or used car dealer?
    3. What kind of written warranty was provided?

used car dealer and am afraid i got no warranty in writing,word of mouth he said 1 year but i know that means nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Certainly the dual mass flywheel, engine rattle and the water leak is not wear and tear as these are not wearing parts. if he gave you a warranty or advertises that he gives a warranty then you should at least contact the SIMI. Even if he didn't he is bound by the supply of goods and services act.

I used to have no time for the SIMI but surprisingly they are helping a friend of mine out at the mo so i'll have to reserve my opinion on them until I see how they help him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

minxie1 wrote: »
    then yesterday afternoon i noticed water underneath gearbox area, and a little further down. none outside this morning before i started her, 10 mins of engine running and you could see dripping water from both places!!!
    at least its not oil from gearbox
    Was the air conditioning running for this 10 mins? If it was, and the fluid you saw was clear water, then I'd say it's just condensation from your A/C unit which is normal and nothing to worry about.

The only other source of anything that looks like clear water would be either rain water drainage or a windscreen washer fluid leak. Most other fluids are oil based. And assuming you have the correct coolant, it is red/pink in colour.

there seems to be no leak when car is cold, had engine going for about 5/10 mins when it started dripping.
    no oil in it, just minute black specks. had regular heater on as i never use the air con (fuel usage etc) water in rad is pinky, so sound, no smell off it when i checked, just weird because it never happened before....ill probably put her in tom get checked and while am at it will get them to put it on the computer although when they were servicing it 3 months ago only relay for heater plugs came up so am not quiet sure if anything will appear this time......:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As it only drips when the engine is warm, I would suspect that you have a simple pipe/flange leak somewhere. As the thermostat switches the big coolant circuit open when the engine gets warm, one of the pipes/flanges that now gets circulation is leaking.

Once that leak is identified, shouldn't be too difficult to fix (tighten connection, exchange pipe)

Something like that won't show up on any computer ...the mechanic will have to use their own eyes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

But but does this magic computer not solve all problems.:rolleyes::D

peasant wrote: »
    As it only drips when the engine is warm, I would suspect that you have a simple pipe/flange leak somewhere. As the thermostat switches the big coolant circuit open when the engine gets warm, one of the pipes/flanges that now gets circulation is leaking.

Once that leak is identified, shouldn't be too difficult to fix (tighten connection, exchange pipe)

Something like that won't show up on any computer ...the mechanic will have to use their own eyes :D
    well its going in tommorrow to be looked at, shall see what the outcome is. have been using same garage for years but i think they have changed handsand dont want to be given the runaround like i normally do. :(
    i know a lot of faults do not show up on these so called computers, but will have to take a chance on it.( ill be brave)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

morning folks. from the start here, bought a mk 4 reg gt tdi in nov 07, ever since theres always something to be done on her,
    1. passenger wing mirror fell off!!
    2. noise, rattle from engine...
    3.alloys repaired very badly
    4.cv joint gone
    5. flywheel replaced
    6. leaking water
    and to add insult to injury, apart from mirror and,alloys i had to replace myself, reason given (not covered under warranty)..... as i was told!!!!:mad: noise back in engine 2 weeks after flywheel replaced, am too tired with it all to go back to dealer, then yesterday afternoon i noticed water underneath gearbox area, and a little further down. none outside this morning before i started her, 10 mins of engine running and you could see dripping water from both places!!!
    at least its not oil from gearbox where i thought it was at start but am still a bit bothered about both the leak and the engine noise,
    some thoughts or ideas on these would be most appreciated, ger

Most VW's are unreliable tbh, it's a myth that they are the great car they once were. Many of the fleet companies have dropped them as a result, only last month the Passat was number 1 on the AA's breakdown list.

well got car back from service. in the mechanics opinion its flywheel failure again!!!!! i cant understand and am doubting if original garage that sold me the car did replace it 2 mths ago. im ringing consumer rights tommorrow..
    i paid almost e1000 for this.... can i get another preferly a vw garage to check this car out and bill garage????

garage is taking car in today, not sure whats going to happen after this

update on this:
    gave car back to garage 2 weeks ago, they sent it to some vw garage
    up in enniskilllen, said was nothing wrong with the clutch "flywheel"
    but something to do with the ECU, not sure what they did but noise is gone at startup etc, only now i am finding it very hard to put into 2nd
    gear, others are fine but have to use a bit of force to get into 2nd esp at the start, is my gearbox going or it is connected to what they done to car....
    thought vw were reliable.... or did i buy her at the time when these needed replacing.....
    or have i been lumbered with a "lemon":confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

But but does this magic computer not solve all problems.:rolleyes::D

Agreed, the computer will get to the bottom of this...

would a faulty gearbox show up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

would a faulty gearbox show up

I doubt it. Generally, mechanical faults require a mechanical diagnosis whereas electronic faults require an electronic diagnosis. Those computer thingys aren't all-seeing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are any of these issues related to the 170bhp remap?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

dude,

if you bought of a dealer then you can take him to the small claims court, dont worry about warrant in writing etc.

from consumerconnect.ie

If something goes wrong

If you have a genuine grievance after buying a car, whether new or used, you should first complain to the seller to see what remedy they will offer. The car may still be under warranty and they may be willing to repair the fault or offer compensation.

If you bought from a dealer, find out if they are a member of a recognised trade association such as SIMI (the Society of the Irish Motor Industry). Then check if the association has an arbitration scheme or code of conduct to help resolve the problem, or can supply information on how it deals with complaints.

If no arbitration scheme or code of conduct exists, you may wish to take legal action, which could involve hiring a solicitor.

For claims against a dealer of up to €2,000, you might consider taking the matter through the Small Claims Court for a small fee. This is a relatively cheap, fast and easy way for consumers to resolve some types of dispute without having to use a solicitor.

Remember though that a consumer cannot take a case in the Small Claims against another consumer, so this is only an avenue if you bought from a dealer rather than from a private individual.

If a private seller has given you information which they know to be false and you are out of pocket as a result, you may be able to take legal action in another court against them. In this situation you may need to seek legal advice.

Are any of these issues related to the 170bhp remap?;)
    that i am not sure of....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

that i am not sure of....

Reason I asked is that the cars components, engine, brakes, transmission and suspension will all be more highly stressed at the higher power levels.

Might be a factor?

Reason I asked is that the cars components, engine, brakes, transmission and suspension will all be more highly stressed at the higher power levels.

Might be a factor?
    beginning to wonder myself :confused:
    when a had flywheel replaced noise came back almost straight away(2 wks) then they said it was something with the ECU so far noise is gone....
    so i dont think it was flywheel at all..:mad:
    as gally74 has mentioned i did go to a solicitor and i am going after him in small claims for flywheel expenses....
    car was remapped when i bought it also.
    had it at a garage here in galway today, fiddled a bit with pipes and said to see how it is in the morning when cold as its harder to put into gear when engines cold!!!!

back again....
    i am feeling an inevitable mental breakdown with this car.....:o
    have had car back twice more regarding gearbox, all they keep doing is fiddling with some pipes and fobbing me off.... drove it theirselves and said there is an issue
    with it going into 2nd gear,he has said oil in gearbox was very thick which they have replaced with lighter oil to see if that will correct problem.
    still the same today.....:(
    noticed another noise from engine , sorta like a hummimg noise,pulsing i cant describe it very well, apart from taking a hammer to it i dont know what to do.love the power in the car,do you think i should ask for a replacement car from them?? covering what i paid for it, is under a finance agreement as well.... am so confused, upset, angry and bewildered i dont know if i have the strenght to tackle them again..

One word - Solicitor!
    Demand your money back!

kbannon wrote: »
    One word - Solicitor!
    Demand your money back!
    got advice off one a few weeks back, he said the same only to give them another chance to fix problems which i have done. still treating me the same way though. if i was a man i dont think they would treating me like this.. am going back to solicitor this coming week

just tell them that you want your money back or legal action will be initiated before the week is out.

kbannon wrote: »
    just tell them that you want your money back or legal action will be initiated before the week is out.
    thank you...
    these guys are very intimidating tho..they wont play nice:o

Tell them anyhow.
    CAll them first thing on Monday and tell them that as soon as you hang up (and assuming they won't agree to a refund) you are calling a solicitor.
    WHo are they and are they SIMI registered?

can i say here??

• Advertisement

I guess for the moment just give hints so we don't get boards sued.
    Some of the explanations seem very strange and ad hoc.
    Re-read gally74's post at the end of page 1 of this thread but follow my advice also I think

Advertisement