Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild cat injured leg - need help (Galway area)

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on how my girlfriend can help a wild cat who form time to time shows up in her garden and she feeds him/look after him.....basically somehow last week he injured is leg (we believe some bastard prepared a trap for him), and now he has a big lump of meat coming out of his leg which makes it more difficult for him to walk, and we are worried that he may catch an infection. We were thinking to call a vet, but the problem is that we never know when this cat shows up....would you have any advice on how we can better deal with this situation? Should we try to trap him next time he comes and then take it to the vet?

I went to the cat welfare website, but when I click on the "Galway" link it doesn't work http://www.irishanimals.com/cats/index.html :mad:

Your advices are very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

yep, borrow a trap, capture him and take him to the vet. usually you'll need to get blood tests done to make sure he hasn't got any diseases and then get him neutered. Good luck! It's great that you guys are helping the little fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

You should be able to borrow a cat trap from the gspca in town, then bring him to vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Galway SPCA Animal Sanctuary
    091 563631
    www.galway-spca.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

I recently caught a feral cat that was always coming into the garden, she had blood coming out of her mouth so I knew for her sake she had to go to a vet. We fed her everyday but she was still very difficult to catch. I threw a heavy blanket over her and then grabbed her. Once we had her in the carry cage, she was fine and calmed down. Anyway hope you get the cat sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Brilliant guys, thank you very much for all your replies!!! I will keep you posted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

girl24 wrote: »
    I threw a heavy blanket over her and then grabbed her. Once we had her in the carry cage, she was fine and calmed down.

Definitely go for the trap option. That might work for some feral cats, but a cats teeth and claws can cause a surprising amount of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

i hate cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe try these:

GALWAY BAY ANIMAL SANCTUARY FUND
    Roscahill, Co Galway
    The Animal Sanctuary Fund does not itself run a sanctuary, but they can often help with rehoming or adoption of a cat or dog.
    Tel: 091 550225
    E-mail: anne.fox@amicustec.ie

GALWAY SPCA
    Rescuing and rehoming animals in need across County Galway.
    Sanctuary: Galway SPCA, Heathlawn Sanctuary, Killimor, Co. Galway, Ireland
    General Tel: 09096 76397 or 091 563631
    Fax: 091 568572
    Cruelty Line: 091 563631
    Email: gspca@eircom.net

It's probably best not to try trapping a badly injured cat yourself - it may become frantic and terrified, and this could end badly. Better to find competent help. The SPCA and the Galway Bay crowd may be able to suggest a good vet who'd help you.

i hate cats

Did you actually register to enter this comment as first post? Mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

TripleAce wrote: »
    Did you actually register to enter this comment as first post? Mouse.

For goodness sake, ignore this troll.

• Advertisement

luckat wrote: »
    Maybe try these:

GALWAY BAY ANIMAL SANCTUARY FUND
    Roscahill, Co Galway
    The Animal Sanctuary Fund does not itself run a sanctuary, but they can often help with rehoming or adoption of a cat or dog.
    Tel: 091 550225
    E-mail: anne.fox@amicustec.ie

GALWAY SPCA
    Rescuing and rehoming animals in need across County Galway.
    Sanctuary: Galway SPCA, Heathlawn Sanctuary, Killimor, Co. Galway, Ireland
    General Tel: 09096 76397 or 091 563631
    Fax: 091 568572
    Cruelty Line: 091 563631
    Email: gspca@eircom.net

It's probably best not to try trapping a badly injured cat yourself - it may become frantic and terrified, and this could end badly. Better to find competent help. The SPCA and the Galway Bay crowd may be able to suggest a good vet who'd help you.

Brilliant thanks! My girlfriend's flatmate went to the Sanctuary today but they weren't very helpful to be honest...we will go for the second address you gave us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 u-la-la

an answer we've got from Galway Gspca:
    "no,we can't help...we can only lend you a cat trap and it would cost you 30 euro"
    ...no comment.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

i hate cats
    Do not feed the trolls. Infraction issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Are you based in galway or limerick? I'm in wicklow but we might be able to organise getting a trap to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 u-la-la

cotton wrote: »
    Are you based in galway or limerick? I'm in wicklow but we might be able to organise getting a trap to you.
    Galway,but we could collect it in Limerick...thank you so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

cotton wrote: »
    If the trains run from wicklow to Galway they should be able to send the trap up for you them not sure how much it will cost but make sure it is covered and has your address on it in a few places and they can collect it at the train station at the other end. Might work out cheaper than petrol to drive there.

Hi guys, i think i found a cage we can use....I will bring it up to Galway this weekend (I live in Limerick) and hope the cat shows up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Great news! Thinking about it, it would probably cost more than renting one for me to get one down to you.

I will also drop to the ISCPA in Limerick today after work and see what they say. It looks like there are many associations looking for homes for healthy animals, but none looking after wild animals who needs to be cured (and don’t need a home). I will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Don't expect much of a response from the Limerick SPCA... all their budget is poured into having a part-time cruelty inspector to cover the city and county. They don't actively take in cats and dogs, nor do they rehome them.

Limerick Animal Welfare are unlikely to help as this cat is in Galway and they would therefore consider the GSPCA your first port of call. LAW wouldn't even have a vets in Galway that they have an account with, if you did manage to catch the cat.

Incidentally, LAW do try to TNR ex-domestic cats in their area and would never let a wild, injured animal suffer, but their resources are limited and therefore they focus on Limerick city and county.

If you've met with unhelpfulness from the rescues local to your girlfriend in Galway, then I think, like most of us, you will have to take on the responsibility (and the financial cost) of this cat yourself.

For starters, could you ask a vet for antibiotics, which you could grind up and leave in some tasty food? That would really only work however if he comes reliably every day. It does sound as if the wound might need to be seen by a vet ideally, and of course the cat should also be neutered.

I know my aunt successfully treated a sick "feral" cat for cat flu by lacing his food every morning with ground-up antibiotics. She later managed to successfully trap and neuter him.

• Advertisement

Well, this turned out pretty unsuccessful….we doubled the problem actually. The cat came back this morning and my girlfriend tried to catch him (using the gloves that the vet provided her with), she nearly had him in the box but somehow the cat managed to run away, but not before leaving her a memory…she got bitten. :(

Now considering that it is a wild cat and has never been vaccinated, my girlfriend will have to go through doctor/vaccinations to ensure she is ok ….. also the cat got the hell scared out of him, so I doubt he will return to visit.

Advertisement