Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything you can give a bitch to lessen the number of pups she would have.

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

We have a fast growing pup about 14-15 weeks old now. We had intended to have her operated on but I don't feel totally right about not letting her have any pups whatsoever. I'd be ok with her having a couple of pups, that's the problem though - there's no way we want to be dealing with 5+ pups. She is a mongrel and it would be hard for us to give away more than 1 or 2 pups where we are.

Anyway just wondering is there any drug you can give a bitch to reduce the likelihood of her having a big litter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

Just get her spayed

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Why do you not feel right about not letting her have any pups? You don't think that 40 dogs a day being put to sleep in the pounds in this country for want of good homes is enough?

But, seriously, the bitch is not thinking to herself "oh no they are going to take away my right to have any children!". Nor will she at any stage have any concept of what she is "missing". All it will mean is that she won't be pestered by the hormones, the male dogs that won't leave her alone and then the risk that pregnancy and giving birth holds for every animal that goes through it.

How would you feel if you decide to let her have that one litter and she dies trying to give birth. That risk is often higher in mongrels as you don't know what the genes might hold, there could be a much bigger dog in the mix that could throw out a large pup that causes serious problems to her. Also remember that she shouldn't be expected to have pups before she is 2, so that means you will have to go through about 3-4 heats where you will have to try and prevent her getting pregnant, will you be able to ensure that? All those extra heats will also raise the risks of her developing mammary tumours later in life, if you get her spayed before she ever comes into heat you will be reducing those risks to very close to zero.

One last thing to consider, who did you get the dog from? If you got it from a rescue they will almost certainly have a requirement in any adoption papers that you get the bitch spayed and don't let her have puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Read this thread - then tell me you want to breed your bitch .....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055331520

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Why do you not feel right about not letting her have any pups? You don't think that 40 dogs a day being put to sleep in the pounds in this country for want of good homes is enough?

But, seriously, the bitch is not thinking to herself "oh no they are going to take away my right to have any children!". Nor will she at any stage have any concept of what she is "missing". All it will mean is that she won't be pestered by the hormones, the male dogs that won't leave her alone and then the risk that pregnancy and giving birth holds for every animal that goes through it.

How would you feel if you decide to let her have that one litter and she dies trying to give birth. That risk is often higher in mongrels as you don't know what the genes might hold, there could be a much bigger dog in the mix that could throw out a large pup that causes serious problems to her. Also remember that she shouldn't be expected to have pups before she is 2, so that means you will have to go through about 3-4 heats where you will have to try and prevent her getting pregnant, will you be able to ensure that? All those extra heats will also raise the risks of her developing mammary tumours later in life, if you get her spayed before she ever comes into heat you will be reducing those risks to very close to zero.

One last thing to consider, who did you get the dog from? If you got it from a rescue they will almost certainly have a requirement in any adoption papers that you get the bitch spayed and don't let her have puppies.

We live in Portugal not Ireland btw, mind you a lot of the same things apply, the Portuguese treat their dogs even worse than in Ireland. Our pup was rescued by a German family after having been dumped in a bin along with 3 of her siblings.... tbh she won the dog lottery been taking in by us - there's a fair chance she'd end up being tied to a chain all day long if she went somewhere else.

Well I'm glad I asked the question - yeah very offputting alright, particularly if there's potential extra complications with her being a mongrel. looks like the op for her then.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Glad to hear you're gonna go for the op. Didn't check your location, but yeah their are very few countries in the world that don't have a dog overpopulation problem.

Lucky dog for falling on her feet and finding someone who cares enough to even bother asking these sort of questions, or even thinking about getting her spayed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Glad you are getting her spayed. :D Also glad you asked the question before you bred her, shows you care ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's wonderful that you have made the responsible decision and are getting her spayed, I was in Portugal myself on holiday and all the stray dogs, most of them lovely friendly perfect pet dogs, it's really sad having to go home and leave them there.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    It's wonderful that you have made the responsible decision and are getting her spayed, I was in Portugal myself on holiday and all the stray dogs, most of them lovely friendly perfect pet dogs, it's really sad having to go home and leave them there.

they really don't have a clue how to treat dogs here in general. i know there is a large minority in ireland who treat dogs badly, but in Portugal it's the norm, a lot of dogs are either stray as you say, or left tied up all day. i have even seen dogs caged.

tbh i was very weary about getting a dog, i only had one briefly when I was a kid, my wife wanted to get a dog more than me but I'm glad we got her now, she's got a great temperament, she loves people and other dogs and I've found myself a lot more attached to her than i'd thought I'd be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Yes have her neutered. Evan were you live there are charities looking for people to foster so you could have her neutered and still be a mammy to a pup that needs care. You already know that they have no time for animals there why would you breed more that could end up like their mammy left in a bin when they've had there fill of it.Your making the right choice for her health as well.Good for you taking hher in.

peasant wrote: »
    smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

Just get her spayed

so this is how you get thanks from people. short and sweet and appeal to sentiments. FWIW after what i read I agree with yeah, but this sorta posts get wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many unwarranted thanks imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

luckylucky wrote: »
    they really don't have a clue how to treat dogs here in general. i know there is a large minority in ireland who treat dogs badly, but in Portugal it's the norm, a lot of dogs are either stray as you say, or left tied up all day. i have even seen dogs caged.

Turkey is just as bad, I recall once seeing a dog wearing a collar with large metal spikes on the inside. The idea seems to be that if the dog pulls on the lead he gets a jab in the neck from the spikes. Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Turkey is just as bad, I recall once seeing a dog wearing a collar with large metal spikes on the inside. The idea seems to be that if the dog pulls on the lead he gets a jab in the neck from the spikes. Horrible.

That's aprong collar. have seen lots of dogs here with those also so it's not just a turkish thing unfortunately :( Couldn't do it to my doggie even though she pulls like a freight train on her lead! :D

Advertisement