Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl broadband via tv point

Options
  • 13-07-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

lookin for help please,moving pc downstairs,can i connect broadband to pc via tv point downstairs ?cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mower wrote: »
    lookin for help please,moving pc downstairs,can i connect broadband to pc via tv point downstairs ?cheers

Depends on where the tv point is been fed from. If its a feed coming straing into the house and not through an amplifier of powered splitter you should be fine. Its easy enought to try out. Take the cable modem to the point and connect in the cable from the tv point and if all the lights come on, then your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

tv was in house when i moved in,got broadband in via new cable in attic also keeping my broadband but cancelling my tv sub. would this make a difference to using tv point downstairs?thanks

Tbh I am not sure how UPC are doing these installations without the TV sub. I was always under the impression that one you had a live feed coming into your house, you would be able to receive you 18 normal analogue channels.

Maybe somebody who has gone down the road of removing their TV sub from UPC could confirm if indeed they have lost all TV channels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well they would scramble the box, all the channels are sent out encoded.
    But unless they have disconnected the cable from the drop box then it should be able to have traffic through it.
    You could receive internet from the cable but I am unsure as to maybe you have to tell them. Though AFAIK the cable is split if you have two points into the house after the drop, so one TV point should do as well as another for BB. Considering all that you have to do is unscrew the cable from the Cable modem and re-screw downstairs and reset the router, and see if all the lights come on, its a pretty quick checking process.
    Also WiFi FTW

im getting sky in for the tv,but just worried that if i start using tv point for internet will it still work when ntl tv is cancelled,tv and broadband are two separate cables not sure if split or two separate connections both at roof leve,thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The internet is sent out through the cables what which you receive the TV with.
    They are sent out the same pipe and arrive at the same point.
    So when the guy who does the installs comes out to check your tv decoder, you should just let him know that you still have internet with NTL and he won't pull out your cable.
    So yes. Fundamentally I am pretty sure it should be fine.

Well they would scramble the box, all the channels are sent out encoded.
    But unless they have disconnected the cable from the drop box then it should be able to have traffic through it.

I am not talking about his Digital TV,I am talking about the 18 or so basic channels that come down the cable.

They would not be able to disconnect the drop cable, as his BB is also coming in through that cable.

thanks for the help, internet working through tv point downstairs,just have to make sure there engineer doesnt pull cables,thanks again, mower.

Advertisement