Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is pebble-dashing doable by DIY?

Options
  • 13-07-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I need to get the back of our extension pebble-dashed. It's a small enough area as there's an ope for double patio doors, I'd say the area to pebble-dash is max 5 square metres.

A relative did all the plastering for the extension and has the reveals for the back done and put a scratch coat of sand and cement on too, so it's ready to be dashed. He has understandably not been able to get back to us for a while as he's just got engaged and has a lot going on so I was thinking I'd do the pebble dashing myself if it's doable.

I'm fairly handy and did most of the labour and 2nd fixing on the extension, but I've no experience with pebble-dashing. Is a highly skilled technique required like with skimming (I no my limits and skimming is something I steer well clear of!)?

I have 5 25kg bags of dashing lying around for the past good few months outdoors, but the plasterer reckoned they'll still be fine, do I need to buy new ones and what's the rough amount needed to cover 5 sq metres?

Many thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I have attached a couple of photos of the area I need to pebbledash just to give an indication of what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Sorry, I can't help you out as I've no idea about pebble-dash (other than it's a pain in the ass to paint). Have you thought about cladding the area in wood? It would look very nice next to the deck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

The bags you have will be grand. You'll need to mix cement through them and maybe some sand. The colour can be varied with the sand/cement/white cement. If I was you I'd put on a thin skim of sand cement first and then fire the dashing mix at it with a small hand shovel. Its messy work so be warned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

curadh wrote: »
    The bags you have will be grand. You'll need to mix cement through them and maybe some sand. The colour can be varied with the sand/cement/white cement. If I was you I'd put on a thin skim of sand cement first and then fire the dashing mix at it with a small hand shovel. Its messy work so be warned!!

I think it might need some lime too?

but you are right it is one of the messiest jobs out there :)

Advertisement